R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Brushless motors (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1586-brushless-motors.html)

Yokomo Fan 11-24-2001 02:28 PM

Brushless motors

Have any of you guys run or seen a brushless motor? Any opinions? The end of the brushed motor buisness? Cheaper to run?..etc

Personally i would like to see these being raced in nationals, europeans and worlds competitions.

I wouldn't mind one of these meself. :D

antoniop 11-24-2001 03:06 PM

Yep!

I have two of those. An Aveox (mainly for boats) and a Modeltech (for cars), and I have to say that the Modeltech is a blast!!

I have some results of testing here:

Modeltech Brushless

Yokomo Fan 11-26-2001 10:22 AM

Hey Antoniop!

Do you recommend brushless motors over brushed motors?

Is it cheaper to run?

How much did the modeltech one cost? ( :D Thier site has too many motors i don't know which one is which )

And finally... are they really that much quicker than brushed motors? If you've run brushed before.

antoniop 11-26-2001 11:49 AM

I recommend it for fun driving.
You can play a lot (duration) and very fast. No need to maintain the motor because there are no brushes to change and cleaning to do.
It's just "plug and play".

However if you race they are not allowed. So this a big reason not to have one.

The price of the motor and ESC combo is around £250, but if you compare the number of gadgets needed to keep the motors in good shape, it'll go above this value.

Brushed modified £60
ESC £100
Brushes £3
Springs £3
and if you want to keep the motor in good shape a lathe £120

As you can see the cost can be very similar if not superior on the brushed motor side. If you have more than one, then brushless wins.

They are fast. Plenty. They can be compared to a hot 8 or 9 motor. And the good thing is that you can go down in ratio and the performance goes up considerably (and speed too) with no adverse effects on the motor still with incredible acceleration.

They are VERY powerful and they propel the car at huge speeds (comparable to a 1/8 2 speed on a straight).

The ESC is full of features and has an incredible brake. The problems found in earlier ESC (thermal shutdown) seem to be sorted on the newer versions. The throttle is smooth and the brake is like hitting a wall - it just STOPS the car.

Yokomo Fan 11-26-2001 01:19 PM

LOL, Thanks Antoniop!

It seems that brushless are a lot of fun, and with a few mates with brushless motor, it can be a blast! But i think i'll wait and see what happens, I'm interested in the Novak brushless motor, looks good.

If you put it all together you also have to pay for the brushes needed to be replaced, the money needed to power the lathes, and paying for that much every time you rebuild the motors could double the figures of your original purchase ( thats if you race HARDCORE :D ).

So you live in the UKingdom? Shipping all the way to the USA from the UKingdom from Modeltech would be expensive.

So really there are pros, and cons of brushless, AND brushed motors, but I really like the idea of the more power more grunt, heh.

dtm 11-26-2001 07:43 PM

Shipping from the UK is quite reasonable really. Modeltech shipped my BL out to Hong Kong. The cost was not even big enough for me to remeber the exact amount!:)

wonderboy 11-26-2001 08:22 PM

I would really like to purchase a Modeltech BL system and give it a try. On their website I think they said they are developing a new programmable type controller more like today's ESCs. I hope it comes in a plastic shell like the Novaks and LRPs, and similiar in size to them. Right now they are sold out of the current forward only controller and the new one one will replace it sometime early next year.

I want to get the Pro-Comp B6XR motor and tear some $hit up. :D It would be funny to see my car pulling away from the 1/8th gassers on the straight, lol. Put some wings on it and watch it take off and fly away.

Yokomo Fan 11-27-2001 11:12 AM

LOL, that'll show dem gasers! MUHAHWAW ... excuse me :D

Seems that Orion are making a new brushless, I think i'll consider that, as Orion already make motors and have good experience, and probably better service ( I'm probably very wrong )

antoniop 11-27-2001 03:00 PM

You probably are...

Modeltech is an UK company and from what I know it provides top quality service.

In this area, Team Orion are the newcomers. Con't forget that.

Aveox, Kontronic, Gm, Lehner, Plettenberg Modeltech are on their 3rd or 4th generation of BL motors.

Why would you consider a newcomer to this technology like Orion or Novak. Look at Novak, it said the BL would be out in Summer 2001. Summer is long gone.

I would never buy a first version at the prices these things cost.
The same with software BTW (:D)

ballsagna 03-11-2013 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Yokomo Fan (Post 38632)
Have any of you guys run or seen a brushless motor? Any opinions? The end of the brushed motor buisness? Cheaper to run?..etc

Personally i would like to see these being raced in nationals, europeans and worlds competitions.

I wouldn't mind one of these meself. :D

I definitely recommend brushless motors - for all the reasons Antoniop mentioned. Just remember to clean and oil the bearings once in a while. :tire:

KC10Chief 03-11-2013 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by ballsagna (Post 11919309)
I definitely recommend brushless motors - for all the reasons Antoniop mentioned. Just remember to clean and oil the bearings once in a while. :tire:

You should get an award of some sort for dragging up a thread that's over ELEVEN years old! I'm pretty sure most of us have used a brushless motor by now.

Night 03-11-2013 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by KC10Chief (Post 11919395)
You should get an award of some sort for dragging up a thread that's over ELEVEN years old! I'm pretty sure most of us have used a brushless motor by now.

Sorry, I had to laugh at the SUPER Grave dig...

martinskarin 03-11-2013 08:47 PM

In just a few years someone will start the thread,

"Did you ever run a brushed motor?"

LasagnaCat 03-13-2013 11:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by KC10Chief (Post 11919395)

If people would just stop replying to his posts...

C=64 03-17-2014 03:53 PM

whats a brushless motor?