Wiki Posts
Search

motor question ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default motor question ?

Hi guys
I,ve got three 540 motors and when running them in,two of them run at 5.5 amps and the other runs at 6.5 amps, at the same volts [amps do drop as volts drop]......Question....Is this a stronger motor or is it a 'amp pig' and just draws more fuel at no real speed.I havn't tried them yet and would like some feed back.
Thank you for your help Timmey
Old 04-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmey
Hi guys
I,ve got three 540 motors and when running them in,two of them run at 5.5 amps and the other runs at 6.5 amps, at the same volts [amps do drop as volts drop]......Question....Is this a stronger motor or is it a 'amp pig' and just draws more fuel at no real speed.I havn't tried them yet and would like some feed back.
Thank you for your help Timmey
The real tell tale sign for how good a motor is to put it on the track. However, if the motor spins up freely, measuring the amp draw at a fixed voltage, say 2 volts, could give you a rough indication of the health of the motor. If you really want to 'dyno' a motor on a bench, you really do need a load dyno to give some proper feedback. Testing the motor at no load really doesn't give any indication of track performance.