Search
Like Tree6Likes

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by East Bay Pete
Here is my 2nd brushless conversion of a Kyosho Evolva 2005 that I just completed. This time, instead of the 2 speed setup, I went for the single speed direct drive. The hard case, 4S battery pack (I call it the "Tower of POWER"!) sits centered on the chassis between the front pulley and the rear chassis brace. Swapping the battery is a "drop in" proceedure (without the body on, of course) and takes no time at all. Notice that I am now using a large capacitor with the Mamba Monster to help offset voltage drop when the motor pulls high amps (180+!). It also helps smooth out more of any ripple current coming off the packs. I'm running the Castle Neu 2650 kv along with a Novak 40mm fan on the motor. The custom carbon fiber top plate completely surrounds the battery securing it in place and offers additional protection in addition to the hard pack.

Gearing as pictured was 22/48 with plenty of top end speed! For my first setup, I ran 18/48 for a total runtime of a bit over 7 minutes with still a bit left in the packs. The packs are 6000 mAh. I didn't time the run with the 22/48 gearing. With a bit taller gearing top speed is probably in the range of 65-70 mph, however I don't know what temps and run time this gearing would yield.

While this car won't ever be as fast as my 6S 2 speed setup, it definitely handles better and is a simpler setup. One thing I noticed after logging data with the 2 speed car is that every time the car was shifting on the track, there was an amp spike and corresponding decrease of RPM...resulting in a bit of delay on the back straight. This was never an issue with doing all out speed runs, but on the track it was a different story. I finally had to have it shift almost immediately into 2nd to avoid the amp spikes upon shifting. This improved the performance out of the packs.
I like the battery set up.. Does it fit under the body ?
Cleaver to use the saddle packs like that .
Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Here is my 2nd brushless conversion of a Kyosho Evolva 2005 that I just completed. This time, instead of the 2 speed setup, I went for the single speed direct drive. The hard case, 4S battery pack (I call it the "Tower of POWER"!) sits centered on the chassis between the front pulley and the rear chassis brace. Swapping the battery is a "drop in" proceedure (without the body on, of course) and takes no time at all. Notice that I am now using a large capacitor with the Mamba Monster to help offset voltage drop when the motor pulls high amps (180+!). It also helps smooth out more of any ripple current coming off the packs. I'm running the Castle Neu 2650 kv along with a Novak 40mm fan on the motor. The custom carbon fiber top plate completely surrounds the battery securing it in place and offers additional protection in addition to the hard pack.

Gearing as pictured was 22/48 with plenty of top end speed! For my first setup, I ran 18/48 for a total runtime of a bit over 7 minutes with still a bit left in the packs. The packs are 6000 mAh. I didn't time the run with the 22/48 gearing. With a bit taller gearing top speed is probably in the range of 65-70 mph, however I don't know what temps and run time this gearing would yield.

While this car won't ever be as fast as my 6S 2 speed setup, it definitely handles better and is a simpler setup. One thing I noticed after logging data with the 2 speed car is that every time the car was shifting on the track, there was an amp spike and corresponding decrease of RPM...resulting in a bit of delay on the back straight. This was never an issue with doing all out speed runs, but on the track it was a different story. I finally had to have it shift almost immediately into 2nd to avoid the amp spikes upon shifting. This improved the performance out of the packs.
Very nice work...I too sized the saddle packs before on my Serpent and it was a very good power setup for 1/8th conversion except 1 thing...it won't fit with the LOLA type body unless punching a hugh opening like for the fuel tank....

One thing I also noticed...exactly like you said, I have seen 1/8th conversion (buggy type like Dm1 spec) when using 2-speed...it does DELAY big time before the shifting...I am not sure that has to do with the SHIFT POINT from the 2-speed. For my understanding, gear box is only "Shifted" or "Not shifted". From what I can see, using electric motor with 2-speed, it has a delay due to the torque kicking back to the motor plus the AMP SPIKE toward the motor and cause the motor to DELAY....it was like, me driving a manuel transmission FERRARI the 1st time (Never did, just an example) and try to shift from 1st to 2nd....

Not sure there is a cure or need for the 2-speed gear box when using brushless motor UNLESS it is for the speed run....but I know the SCHUMACHER team did that rocket RC car and broke the world fastest record, that car does not have a 2-speed or 3-speed gear box...only single spur (or I should say a pinion cause the pinion and spur look like the same size...LOL)
Old 07-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
I like the battery set up.. Does it fit under the body ?
Cleaver to use the saddle packs like that .
Originally Posted by Solara
Very nice work...I too sized the saddle packs before on my Serpent and it was a very good power setup for 1/8th conversion except 1 thing...it won't fit with the LOLA type body unless punching a hugh opening like for the fuel tank....
Thanks for the compliments! The car really is a lot of fun because you don't have to worry about starting, tuning, fuel, etc. Just walk up to the pit lane, drop your own car, walk up to the driver's stand and go!

I'm using the Lamberto Collari MLC 908 body and the packs push the body up about 1 mm...you can barely notice. I would like to try the Protoform P909 next...It should be about the same in this part of the body...what do you think?

Originally Posted by Solara
One thing I also noticed...exactly like you said, I have seen 1/8th conversion (buggy type like Dm1 spec) when using 2-speed...it does DELAY big time before the shifting...I am not sure that has to do with the SHIFT POINT from the 2-speed. For my understanding, gear box is only "Shifted" or "Not shifted". From what I can see, using electric motor with 2-speed, it has a delay due to the torque kicking back to the motor plus the AMP SPIKE toward the motor and cause the motor to DELAY....it was like, me driving a manuel transmission FERRARI the 1st time (Never did, just an example) and try to shift from 1st to 2nd....
I agree...there is no "buffer" between 1st and 2nd so there's an instant load on the motor causing the amp spike leading to a voltage drop leading to a loss of RPM's (about 3,000-4,000) and so on. Those spikes really take a toll on the battery packs...30+C minimum required!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks for the compliments! The car really is a lot of fun because you don't have to worry about starting, tuning, fuel, etc. Just walk up to the pit lane, drop your own car, walk up to the driver's stand and go!

I'm using the Lamberto Collari MLC 908 body and the packs push the body up about 1 mm...you can barely notice. I would like to try the Protoform P909 next...It should be about the same in this part of the body...what do you think?

I agree...there is no "buffer" between 1st and 2nd so there's an instant load on the motor causing the amp spike leading to a voltage drop leading to a loss of RPM's (about 3,000-4,000) and so on. Those spikes really take a toll on the battery packs...30+C minimum required!
Next time at the track, see you can record some lap time and run time by simply using the single speed....I just don't see the advantage in this BL conversion application as long as your pinion and spur is the same or bigger then when you were using the 2-speed application. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Well first of all I don't believe a 2 speed is necessary . The electric motor does not need the torque advantage the trans provides. The extra weight alone should be enough to just omit it. Let alone the spikes to the cells you may be experiencing. As far as the body, can you mill out a pocket on the chassis a mill lower ?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Thanks East Bay Pete

Thanks East Bay Pete for directing me to this thread. There is definitely some great minds at work here. Almost makes me want to drop some money on a Evolva......gotta be patient while you smart people figure out a great setup for me. Very nice work so far guys.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Oblivionixx
Just make a post to keep this thread in the first page lol....
any new work can be shown?
can wait to see the M3 conversion
I am doing what he did......
Old 08-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Some of your conversions are amazing to say the least.

We understand that companies that make our products are just that....a business. So there is always super secret squirrel stuff going on that we can not really talk about. We can tell you there are two companies working on e versions of their nitro cars.....both are works of art. One not to different then what we have seen on here. IF, again IF we get permission we are going to try and post some pics on here and on facebook under rctvlive. I think 1/8th scale on road brushless would open the door for many that do not like tuning nitro engines of this size. Time will tell. Jeff
Old 08-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCTVLIVE
Some of your conversions are amazing to say the least.

We understand that companies that make our products are just that....a business. So there is always super secret squirrel stuff going on that we can not really talk about. We can tell you there are two companies working on e versions of their nitro cars.....both are works of art. One not to different then what we have seen on here. IF, again IF we get permission we are going to try and post some pics on here and on facebook under rctvlive. I think 1/8th scale on road brushless would open the door for many that do not like tuning nitro engines of this size. Time will tell. Jeff
+1
Old 08-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Kyosho Evolva 2005

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Racing-Car-Kit

$309.99 (current special price, 5 available)

$284.99 (after coupon code DPPAN925)

plus S&H and Tax if applicable. And don't forget a free T-shirt! (I have no relationship with A Main Hobbies other than a happy customer)
Old 08-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tired Racer

plus S&H and Tax if applicable. And don't forget a free T-shirt! (I have no relationship with A Main Hobbies other than a happy customer)
What ? This old thing ?
I have 2 2001 fantom kits one used and the other new.
waiting to be converted. $200 +ship for both ..parts too!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
What ? This old thing ?
I have 2 2001 fantom kits one used and the other new.
waiting to be converted. $200 +ship for both ..parts too!
Cool! Did your parents buy it for you?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Tech Addict

That's a great price even for an older version. The price is right for a newbie to get into 8th scale "Formula One" racing regardless if it's nitro or electric. Good find!

Last edited by js058515; 08-23-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Tech Master

Cool! Did your parents buy it for you?
Umm.. no.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by js058515
That's a great price even for an older version. The price is right for a newbie to get into 8th scale pan car racing regardless if it's nitro or electric. Good find!
Never call a 1/8 track chassi a pan car again
Sorry mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.