Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Tech Initiate

now you can find more about the Mugen MRX5 E... you can find also details about the motor and controller we use (the same electronics as the Capricorn prototype see on top)

platzhirsch.net
Old 09-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pascal Brun
now you can find more about the Mugen MRX5 E... you can find also details about the motor and controller we use (the same electronics as the Capricorn prototype see on top)

platzhirsch.net
Thanks Pascal!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by M7H
I run the car with a roll-out of around 45mm, depending the tyre diameter, I change the gearing to get around this 45mm.
The car handles great, until I run out of front tyres.
In my case, because we don't race these cars yet, I use left over tyres from my nitro car.
thanks in advise i have left over tyres too. will wait and see what's next to this class
Old 09-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Tech Initiate

1/8th scale touring car,

This is not a GT class car but a true 1/8th scale tourer.

This is fun to drive and handles very well.
Attached Thumbnails Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-cropped-dm1.jpg  
Old 09-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Initiate

we hade allready 12 race in Switzerland with the 1/8 scale onroad electro class...runtime 5 min.

Next year we want to introduce this race category in Germany...(maybe as part of the pro stock series)
Topspeed in Lostallo was 126km/h...but normally we choose a topspeed arround 110-115Km/h...you will not be faster on most tracks if you have more topspeed ;-)
Old 10-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

DSMotorsport, is this the car you ran in your video?

Awesome to see another car manufacturer releasing an 1/8e onroad, but how do I access the battery terminals on the center battery??? Will this require a special shorty pack that has terminals that go all the way through the pack? I also see there are terminals on all corners of the battery pack.

With the esc mounted that high sticking out of the body, will that hurt downforce? The TTB motor/controller is a pretty sweet solution with the motor/esc mount to each other, but it's hard and expensive to get in the US

http://www.redrc.net/2013/10/caprico...ar/#more-72532
Old 10-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

That is definitely not the version that DS is running.

BTW, I just finalised my prototype of the Serpent 977E Viper, see the video of the shakedown, last Sunday.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I made a report of how I made my S977E in our Dutch forum: http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/...conversie.html
Old 10-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Capricorn 1/8th on RedRC
Old 10-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It looks like they designed the whole car and then realized at the end that they forgot to leave space for the speedo.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Great work Richard! I have been following your build on the other forum. I wish I had access to a CNC machine to machine my own parts, but I have a 3D printer instead... I'll be testing my MRX5e conversion this weekend. It is similar to your 977e and D7H's 966e and also using the Tekin RX8. What kind of run times are you getting with the 4000mah Rhino battery?
Old 10-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Steve S
It looks like they designed the whole car and then realized at the end that they forgot to leave space for the speedo.
Yea, ESC packaging is tricky. I wish we had these in the US. Very nice solution that can handle the power of 1/8e. Packaged great too to save a lot of space and can fit under the body.

http://www.platzhirsch.net/online-shop/
Old 10-12-2013, 02:34 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by thunderbt3
Great work Richard! I have been following your build on the other forum. I wish I had access to a CNC machine to machine my own parts, but I have a 3D printer instead... I'll be testing my MRX5e conversion this weekend. It is similar to your 977e and D7H's 966e and also using the Tekin RX8. What kind of run times are you getting with the 4000mah Rhino battery?
With my 2nd Rhino, which is actually 4500mAh, I have between 6 and 7 minutes runtime, depending the track, and the roll-out you put in the car....

I ran 7 minutes last time, when Richard and I ran together on the track you see in Richards video.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:46 AM
Tech Initiate

how heavy are your 2 Rhino Lipo?
We have a new on...Christoph Pietsch beat the track record in Türkheim with this Lipo.
The new Lipo has the following specification:

4400mAh, 80c, 550g, lenght 94mm, wide 68mm, hight 43mm

This Lipo will perfect work also with the new capricorn.

Concerning price of TTB motor/esc...don't forget the price of a competition Novarossi nitro motor...and think about the durability.
You can't compare mass production 1/8 scale offroad electronics with TTB products...this motor and controller is especially made for 1/8 onroad competition...You will not find a motor/controller in this class with such a performance and durability...

Which 1/8 offroad controller can handle more than 4kw peak power without fan? If you find one...put it on top of the motor and then you can compare.
By the way...the TTB controller is much smaller than all other 1/8 scale controller.

Espacially for 1/8 scale onroad we made some wider tires, with this tires it's easy to handle the massive torque

you can find more Information (also picture and video) about the new Lipo and "real" 1/8 onroad electronic if you go to:

platzhirsch.net
Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thunderbt3
DSMotorsport, is this the car you ran in your video?

Awesome to see another car manufacturer releasing an 1/8e onroad, but how do I access the battery terminals on the center battery??? Will this require a special shorty pack that has terminals that go all the way through the pack? I also see there are terminals on all corners of the battery pack.

With the esc mounted that high sticking out of the body, will that hurt downforce? The TTB motor/controller is a pretty sweet solution with the motor/esc mount to each other, but it's hard and expensive to get in the US
No, this is Capricorn their own design. They opted to design the car for easily available electronics, 1/8 offroad stuff.

My design has been based around the TTB powersystem since I fully believe this is the only way to go. Yes, it has it's price but it's the only system which can give you 1/8 nitro power in an electric car.
The batteries are the problem right now, we need more capacity in the same dimensions/weight to be able to actually use the power the TTB system can provide.
The ESC/motor combo doesn't even break a sweat when it delivers the amount of power shown in my video. While the 1/8 offroad powersystems are already at their maximum (80ºC)when delivering less power.
In the end I think the TTB system will be the more reliable and robust solution.

These are some renders of the very first version, the actual car has seen some updates.

When I receive my new CF parts I will post some pictures of my actual car.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pascal Brun
how heavy are your 2 Rhino Lipo?
We have a new on...Christoph Pietsch beat the track record in Türkheim with this Lipo.
what is the new record?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.