R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #1156
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile 1/8 EP on road

Hi Nivola, we have just recieved cars number 3 & 4 and are in the process of building and setting them up, we came across our first issue early on because my mates dx3s doesnt brake mix?!? and he cant operate the mechanical brake, we could always use a reverse y lead but will have little control with brake adjustment, to say he is spewing is an understatement, you'd think an expensive radio could do this but apparently not, we checked out the forums and it seems he is not alone, to add insult to injury my dx3c does have one programmable mix and my brake servo works as is required, we thought the dx3s was meant to be above the dx3c but that's the way it has panned out.
Anyway I think these brushless 1/8 pans will create quite a stir amongst the local nitro guys, the 4 of us have joined a new club that has just started at our local track, the guy that runs it seems to be very good so hopefully we can start a class here. For now you guys are leading the way but a bit of friendly competition can only be good, it is a shame you are on the other side of the country but who knows what the future holds. Either way we are a friendly bunch of blokes and are willing to give any technical assistance to you guys if we can, but it sounds like you guys are ahead of us. Very interesting move going to Xrays , I myself love my converted t4 , it is definitely high quality but be warned the parts are expensive, very expensive ( unless I am getting from the wrong people? )do yourselves the favour and check parts pricing in comparison to your serpents, maybe it is not an issue, either way EP rx8's would be awesome , we have got the Edams because the rollers costs us $400 and parts are cheap, maybe they aren't as good , time will tell but side by side with the serpents and mugens they seem comparable ( similar even ) but at nearly half the price. on the battery side of the argument 6 cell lipo power seems to be the best way to go for run time, power and efficiency, but we have found on the existing cars that 22+ volts wears components out faster which is to be expected I suppose.
We will keep in touch with you guys (our brothers in the west ?) and good luck with your plans, once again if we can be any help post to this forum or private message me
cheers
oldenuff
oldenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 AM   #1157
Tech Regular

Default WA 1/8 EP ONROAD championship

Wow, didn't notice your second posting with the video until after i posted, that was great to watch, that yellow car is a real rocketship and the others have some work to do to catch up, but the more they race the closer they will get, it is the nature of the beast. you have a beautiful track similar size to ours maybe your is a fraction or more bigger, jealous of the grass infield though.
We will all be running the lola style pan bodies as this makes a huge difference ( downforce is everything ). our goal now is to make a similar video and post it to you guys to see, hopefully this can happen before the end of April.
well done again and keep in touch
cheers
oldenuff
Old 03-30-2014, 06:39 AM   #1158
Tech Adept

We are a small club over here on the onroad side.

The track was originally for nitro. But then someone decided houses across the road would work. Thus we got the sound issues and became an Electric only site. Thus the Track was built for 1/8th. Jeff is down into the 15 second window for the track at the moment.

The other cars in the field are 1/8th GT cars. I feel they may never get the same speed as they have some series grip issues at the moment. Think the tires over heat. They go from understeer to insane oversteer in no time at all.

I will have to take some images of the cars and show you how we have done the battery layouts. They are all inboard at the moment.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:55 AM   #1159
Tech Regular

hi Nivola
yeah i wasnt sure if they were gt cars or 966's with sedan bodies, you can definitely see the speed difference between the pan car and the gt cars, unfortunately the gt cars will never be able to fully bridge the gap to jeffs car especially since he looks a good driver, when you guys go all pan style it will be a lot closer, but at least you guys have done it and made an electric 1/8 onroad class so you guys are ahead of us but we are a determined mob and hope to be very fast very soon, the best time we, meaning our small group have recorded so far is 20.8 seconds using one of the 1/10 cars, we may have gone faster but that is an official time on paper and is the target to beat, we have not officially timed our 1/8ths yet and as it is we are not sure if the 1/8ths can beat our 1/10ths as they have had a lot of development and we are still learning the larger cars but we are confident sub 20 seconds are possible with the 1/8ths when we get it right , as it is we have seen 1/8 nitro pan cars with solid club level drivers officially run low 20 second bracket, a top 1/8 nitro driver should break into the 19's here maybe even quicker but this is just guessing either way sub 20 is our goal.. you may be thinking how can our 1/10ths keep up but our track has a few more technical sections in it and not as many high speed straights as your track so the smaller cars have an advantage but the track does have an 80 metre straight which the 1/8ths make up some time on, our track can be seen on youtube under(whalan rc track or the previous club sormccc.) that way you can get a gauge on how our cars time wise compared to the other cars. We have all mounted our batteries on the sides of the car and use or will be using standard size lipo packs mainly because that is what we have used with our 1/10ths.
Keep up the good work in the west guys, we will post again soon
cheers
oldenuff
Old 04-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #1160
M7H
Tech Elite

My S967e (upgraded 966, to 6S lipo, with upside down steering servo) is still going strong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCizKRJbrWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGy2oCxNsbs
Old 04-10-2014, 04:58 AM   #1161
Tech Regular

What a beautiful track you have there M7H , it looks sensational, while we love our track and it is one of the largest around here it is more like a 1/10 track compared to yours. Do you race it competitively? one thing is for sure it is super quick. I noted your comments in an earlier post about central batteries and while probably the best way to go, it is not feasible on our cars at the moment.
This weekend weather permitting will be our clubs first ever running of an electric 1/8 scale on road car class , there will be 4 starters all with pan cars and we think it is the first of its kind in Sydney anyway, the Perth boys have beaten us to it being the first current class that we know of in Australia.
well done to all involved and lets show these gas guys a thing or 2 (long way to go for us to beat them but friendly competition anyway)
cheers
oldenuff
Old 04-10-2014, 05:46 AM   #1162
M7H
Tech Elite

Hi Oldenuff, the track I'm running on is the MACH track in Holland, host of the TC worlds 2012, track where Jilles Groskamp started his hobby.

No, I don't run this car competitively yet, but who know's this might change in the near future.

I do run 8th scale gas onroad competitively, in our national races.
But I like my Electric car, because it is a good training!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #1163
Tech Regular

Default ep or gp 1/8?

M7H thanks for your reply , really interested to see you also run a gas car, I am assuming it is also a serpent, probably a 977,either way i would imagine it would be similar to your electric car as you state it is for practice and why carry extra spares for a completely different car,
If you do not mind i would like to ask a couple of questions to you about your gas and electric cars, firstly which is faster ( lap time wise ) on that track? and secondly does the extra weight of the electric car greatly affect handling of the car? does it help or make it worse as i would suspect ?maybe your electric car is lighter then gas but i know ours are heavier then the gas cars. mine weighs just under 3.3 kg and i know one of the others is heavier then mine.
Thanks for your time and interest M7H , I will try to organize video of our race this weekend if i can, I hope it will make good viewing
cheers
oldenuff
Old 04-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #1164
M7H
Tech Elite

Yes Serpent, Yes 977.
My 966e, weight 2800gr. (I believe)
Which is 275gr more then my 977. (with full fuel tank)
This indeed affect the handling, and especially in the slower corners, there a gas car is still faster, but it's not much!
So lap time wise, I'm still faster with my gas car, but I really don't care, the amount of power you feel with the electric car, makes it very enjoyable to drive!

Here you have me with my 966, in 2012, while we were doing some noise testing at our track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adtxlag8Oo4
Old 04-11-2014, 12:37 AM   #1165
Tech Regular

M7H your car is 500g lighter then mine! i would imagine you weighed it with batteries , tyres and a cover ready to run like i did , if so my car may need a weight loss program! the batteries are over 600 gram combined and a few others have even heavier batteries. I have only driven it twice so far and am still learning the car but it seems to handle good, the steering is brilliant but could do with some more rear traction, ... just a matter of finding the correct setup .
cheers
oldenuff
Old 04-11-2014, 02:37 AM   #1166
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hi all. I've just put the 966e conversion kit on one of my old 966 chassis. It went together well and is almost ready to go however I'm struggling to get the esc (Hobbywing 150a) to fit under the bodyshell (pfr18 I believe it is) when mounted in the allocated space. Anyone else get the same problem? If so how did you overcome it? Different body? Different mounting location for the esc? I've set it up stock with 2x 2s saddles.
Serpent Viper 977e, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:03 AM   #1167
M7H
Tech Elite

I drove the same combination, but with the P909 body, which might be a bit higher.
I did drill some holes in the body right above the ESC, for cooling.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:21 AM   #1168
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ok thanks. I would have to cut around the esc like an engine head to get the pfr18 to fit properly.
Serpent Viper 977e, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #1169
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivola View Post
We are a small club over here on the onroad side.

The track was originally for nitro. But then someone decided houses across the road would work. Thus we got the sound issues and became an Electric only site. Thus the Track was built for 1/8th. Jeff is down into the 15 second window for the track at the moment.

The other cars in the field are 1/8th GT cars. I feel they may never get the same speed as they have some series grip issues at the moment. Think the tires over heat. They go from understeer to insane oversteer in no time at all.

I will have to take some images of the cars and show you how we have done the battery layouts. They are all inboard at the moment.
Hi Nivola

I'm in Perth too and live about 5mins away from the Bayswater Track. I've just picked up a Kyosho GT2 VE and am keen to get it going. Can I ask what tyres you've been trialling for our climate and with what results.

I'd love to come down and get a feel for the track as I've never raced before. I'm in a wheelchair so, am not sure how accessible the facilities are.

Cheers
sidehow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #1170
Tech Rookie

Is there anyone in Adelaide SA intrested in this, I have a moto electron.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote