R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #766
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude007 View Post
The CC2650 (42mm dia.) sits in the mount near perfectly. The problem is the front plate now no longer can attach properly to the mount, it needs to be a few mm taller. I'll need to fab that, and it looks like I'll need to elongate the motor mount holes to allow adjustability. The motor was rubbing on the rear belt. I'll need to cut the rear part of the radio plate, and move the rear radio plate brace forward. The rear side braces just forward of the rear end need to be made longer too. This conversion certainly isn't plug-n-play if you're going with a bigger motor. I'll post a few pics up later, it'll explain it better.
Ok, yes please show some pictures!
What size is the 2650 CC motor?, 42mm diameter, but whats the length?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #767
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

CC2650 is 68mm lengthwise.

Pic 1 - Fits perfectly
Pic 2 - The diameter of the motor sits nicely in the lower mount, but as you can see, the front mount plate is 2-2.5mm short. Need to find a solution to that. Fabricating a new front plate shouldn't be too difficult.
Pic 3 - As you can see, I went a bit wild with the dremel, but both openings need to be elongated. I really should bring this to a machine shop, my hand is not as accurate as a lathe. I'm thinking of mounting a plate to the motor mount, this will allow the mount to slide on top as opposed to modifying the original holes. The way I've done it so far, I think I'm weakening the chassis. The main issues with adding another plate, is that the side brace in front of the motor will need to be completely redesigned as I'll be raising the entire assembly 2.5mm, or I could dispense with that brace altogether. I've seen many 1/8 without it.

Anyone have any spare 950/950R chassis they want to part with, I may ruin this one.

thoughts??

Here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-3.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-4.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-5.jpg  

Last edited by thedude007; 06-27-2011 at 04:33 PM.
thedude007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #768
M7H
Tech Elite

Thanks for the pictures, although your problems are not all completely clear to me, I get the picture.
Maybe the serpent 966e motormount (http://www.serpent.com/product/904105/) might give you the adjustablity you are looking for...
I have to check if it fits the 950R (I have both cars) will come back on it later.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #769
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I suppose the biggest issue is that the original engine mount holes allow zero adjustability. These 42mm motors simply don't fit. If I were to leave it in it's designed position, the motor would rub on the rear belt. The whole motor mount assembly needs to be moved forward 7-10mm. Not sure if that mount you linked to will work, but any info you can find would be great
thedude007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #770
Tech Elite

The clearance issue is one reason why we went with the top deck supported approach, it gave us the freedom to run different motor types and also a sigificant amount of room for motor pinion/spur configurations.

We have already modeled some of the MRX5 but focussed on the 4 since we thought they would be available and affordable.

our approach uses the following in the conversion

(1) 4mm carbon top deck
(1) 3mm lower front top brace
(1) 3mm rear top brace
(4) alum 3mm spacers
(2) longer 6mm layshafts
(1) carbon pully side brace
(1) servo mount

still working on the final topdeck layout
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-e-mugen.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ER4X.pdf (49.2 KB, 209 views)
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #771
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
The clearance issue is one reason why we went with the top deck supported approach, it gave us the freedom to run different motor types and also a sigificant amount of room for motor pinion/spur configurations.

We have already modeled some of the MRX5 but focussed on the 4 since we thought they would be available and affordable.

our approach uses the following in the conversion

(1) 4mm carbon top deck
(1) 3mm lower front top brace
(1) 3mm rear top brace
(4) alum 3mm spacers
(2) longer 6mm layshafts
(1) carbon pully side brace
(1) servo mount

If you want a "test driver" for an EXR5,let me know
Collector/Vintage Cars:
-Serpent F180 (2x), Serpent Veteq, Losi Jrx2, Tamiya Avante & Associated RC10
KostaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #772
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
With the motor mounted on carbon, don't you get overheating problems?

in general, do you need a heatsink, or even a verntilator on the motor, for cooling purposes?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #773
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude007 View Post
Not sure if that mount you linked to will work, but any info you can find would be great
I checked, and it's not a direct fit.
You would also need the (optional) aluminium X brace, because modifying the standard composit X brace weakens it to much.....
Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #774
Tech Apprentice

This past weekend I ran my "eEvolva" in the inaugural California Nitro Series race at RAMS. In the 5 minute qualifiers, the motor temp never climbed above 125 degrees despite temperatures in the 80's. For the 15 minute C-Main, I upped the pinion by a tooth. I was getting over 9 minutes at practice on each pack, so during the main I pulled in at 8:30 for a battery swap (which also included about 1 minute of warmup before the race). The swap wasn't perfect as it was the first time my pit man had attempted to do it in a race situation and unfortunately he wasted about 15 seconds first trying to put the 2nd battery in the car the wrong way and then, when he got it in right, he had the velcro strap under the battery meaning he had to take the battery out again and reinstall it AGAIN! LOL The pit lap was an extra 38 seconds, but I'm confident that can be improved to about 15 seconds.

I finished the 15 minute main in 4th with just the one pit stop. Motor temp after the race was 152 degrees. According to my Hyperion charger, the battery still had 10% left, however there was a bit of a drop off before the swap (and a noticeable pick up in speed after the swap!), so it seems that was the right call to swap at 8:30.

The speed as it was geared, 21/48, caught the attention of Rich Browne and Jimmy Adkins of the Scott Kimbrow Serpent team. After the race, they commented on how the car was easily able to pull away from the nitros on the back straight and was obviously quicker with great acceleration on the infield.

As it is now, the car can definitely run with the nitros both in a short qualifier and in a main with battery swaps. I have 4 packs, so I have the ability to run a 30 minute main.

Now that the powertrain and layout are set on the car, I would like to be able to lighten the car somehow...I'm about 450 grams heavier than a nitro and while the car does handle, it would obviously be that much better in a lighter setup.

I'm very happy with the ease at doing the conversion...4 new custom pieces...requiring only 2 new holes to be drilled in the chassis to hold the top plate support bracket. Batteries are off-the-shelf. So, the whole car really is a simple project!
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 S6--Track Car#2
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Castle Creations 2650 Combo 6S--Drag Race Car
East Bay Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #775
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
Yeah, this is what I am running these days.

Very nice design ... my compliments !!

Which brand of LiPo are you using and what are the dimensions?
It looks like a 4S, and what is the capacity?

Obviously this is an Evolva 03-07 series, do you have any experience with a M3 Evo conversion?
Old 07-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #776
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The best 8scale electric layout as of yet ! The tekin rx8 esc should be the next upgrade !!! Does look under 2500grams...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #777
Tech Elite

This last weekend at the Timezone Gran Prix we were able to have 4 of our prototype ERX4's on the track and working perfectly... run time with the 5200mha is nearly 10 min, and we are now down to 14.6 sec laps. which is just about 1 sec off the fastest lap from Burch and Morganti. the only place where the tradiditonal 8th scale had us is in the tight infield dot's, and if w were on small tires the gas cars could close in a bit at the end of the straight. but the launch out of the corniner can notg be matched by the gas car. these things have so much forward launch it is mind blowing.

Gave the cars to: Ralph Burch, Paolo Morganti, Drew Ellis, Scott Kimbrough, JJ Wang, and a whole hand full of others... all walking off the stand with a huge smille on thier face.

think we are on to something and with the parts for 5 more kits nearly done we could see a full class of E-8th Scales on the grid at our next race on the 20th... we are having a demo race out at PIR with the Road Race Motorcycles so we should have a big crowd
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #778
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hi,

Have you tried 4s 10,000 series pack?or 6s 10,000?

You think that's better for main?

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Pete View Post
This past weekend I ran my "eEvolva" in the inaugural California Nitro Series race at RAMS. In the 5 minute qualifiers, the motor temp never climbed above 125 degrees despite temperatures in the 80's. For the 15 minute C-Main, I upped the pinion by a tooth. I was getting over 9 minutes at practice on each pack, so during the main I pulled in at 8:30 for a battery swap (which also included about 1 minute of warmup before the race). The swap wasn't perfect as it was the first time my pit man had attempted to do it in a race situation and unfortunately he wasted about 15 seconds first trying to put the 2nd battery in the car the wrong way and then, when he got it in right, he had the velcro strap under the battery meaning he had to take the battery out again and reinstall it AGAIN! LOL The pit lap was an extra 38 seconds, but I'm confident that can be improved to about 15 seconds.

I finished the 15 minute main in 4th with just the one pit stop. Motor temp after the race was 152 degrees. According to my Hyperion charger, the battery still had 10% left, however there was a bit of a drop off before the swap (and a noticeable pick up in speed after the swap!), so it seems that was the right call to swap at 8:30.

The speed as it was geared, 21/48, caught the attention of Rich Browne and Jimmy Adkins of the Scott Kimbrow Serpent team. After the race, they commented on how the car was easily able to pull away from the nitros on the back straight and was obviously quicker with great acceleration on the infield.

As it is now, the car can definitely run with the nitros both in a short qualifier and in a main with battery swaps. I have 4 packs, so I have the ability to run a 30 minute main.

Now that the powertrain and layout are set on the car, I would like to be able to lighten the car somehow...I'm about 450 grams heavier than a nitro and while the car does handle, it would obviously be that much better in a lighter setup.

I'm very happy with the ease at doing the conversion...4 new custom pieces...requiring only 2 new holes to be drilled in the chassis to hold the top plate support bracket. Batteries are off-the-shelf. So, the whole car really is a simple project!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #779
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard E View Post

Very nice design ... my compliments !!

Which brand of LiPo are you using and what are the dimensions?
It looks like a 4S, and what is the capacity?

Obviously this is an Evolva 03-07 series, do you have any experience with a M3 Evo conversion?
Thanks, I'm using a 5400mah 4s pack from SMC. It's a little shorter than many of the packs I've tried. I got a bit over 8 minutes run time in race conditions. The pack has started to puff a bit due to hard discharging when the pack gets low on energy.
If you look back some pages, you will see what I'm doing with the M3.
I've changed the belt system around to get all the drive train as central as possible. It will then accommodate 2 standard sized packs in a saddle configuration.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #780
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperEk4 View Post
Hi,

Have you tried 4s 10,000 series pack?or 6s 10,000?

You think that's better for main?
Not sure what you mean by the 10,000 series pack. What I'm using are two 6S 2250 mAh ThunderPower packs wired in parallel. These are phenomenal packs and are working out quite well. I have to do more time testing, but I believe I actually had a set of packs last 12 minutes! But perhaps this was an anomoly. I was trying to correct a setup problem on the car and wasn't really concentrating on the runtime.

As far as 4S, I've tried that voltage with a higher kv motor. Temps were too high and runtime not good.
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 S6--Track Car#2
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Castle Creations 2650 Combo 6S--Drag Race Car
East Bay Pete is offline   Reply With Quote