R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #751
Tech Elite

If you are talking about the speedpassion 8th Scale Speedo from a year or so ago, think it was called the silver arrow series???? we blew up three in a row attempting to use them on our E-Mugen MRX-4. We tried their silver arrow motors and they also were not up to the challenge.

We then went to the Tekin RX8 and a Neu 15151Y motor but as we went up in battery cells we pressed the limits of the speedo a popped one. I think we now have a good handle on the package with the 1550kv to 1700Kv for 6S, and 1900KV for 5S.

We are now getting the two other prototype cars together so we can work on a possible different servo mount, and a little top deck layout and flex.

We will be running them in a qualifier or two at our upcoming TZGP in July to see how they stack up...
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #752
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm just talking about the Speed Passion 960 conversion motor mount. It installed nicely in the 950R. The Speed Passion Silver Arrow1/8 motors have a 540 size diameter can, I've been reading not too good things about their ESC/motors myself. From the looks of it, the Tekin should hopefully fit without much modification. If anyone has experience with this mount, please give me details.

Planning on 6S with this:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Combo-2650kV

Still working on spur/pinion combo....

Last edited by thedude007; 06-19-2011 at 12:09 AM.
thedude007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #753
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

A little teaser for you guys.
2-3cell stick pack, 550 motor or bigger, Fully adjustable front end with shocks. 3 Shock pod rear end. Much of the detailed parts are not shown but you get the idea.
I plan to configure for 2-3 single cell layouts as well. a couple of parts to switch things around. The stick pack is easier to layout at the moment.
More to come soon...
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-pan-chassis.jpg  
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #754
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude007 View Post
Planning on 6S with this:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Combo-2650kV

Still working on spur/pinion combo....
Where are you going to put that 6S in an 950R?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:38 AM   #755
Tech Initiate

Something like this (see post#8): http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29812
Old 06-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #756
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Problem with those solutions, what if you're in a crash....
If a lipo gets damaged, your whole car will be on fire I think.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #757
Tech Master

I was looking at something like that too, but I want to set my car up for racing, and I just can't see how hanging batteries out there can handle well.
I understand if it's just for speed runs (never interested me), but for racing in most situations you want to mass as near to the centre line as you can to reduce body roll.
With reputable companies coming out with solid 6000Mah 50C packs now, I think 4S will be perfect for racing. Bashing is another story as I don't think the run-times will be huge. I don't prescribe to the theory that they should be able to run a 20 minute main. It's not the same car as a nitro, and I can't imagine Nitro racers welcoming our cars in with open arms. Especially when they get pasted!

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #758
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
Problem with those solutions, what if you're in a crash....
If a lipo gets damaged, your whole car will be on fire I think.
I've seen the results of poor lipo protection...not pretty. I've purchased a CC 2650Kv, so it looks like I'll be going 4s. Each batt will be encased in an aluminum sleeve, fabricated using L-brackets. I bought the motor first, just to see if it'd fit, don't have it in hand yet, but it looks like there will have to be some chassis modification to get it in there. As far as racing, I'm the complete opposite, I'm a speed freak, I work at a small airport on weekends...plenty of smooth flat tarmac, perfect for running flat out.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #759
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
A little teaser for you guys.
2-3cell stick pack, 550 motor or bigger, Fully adjustable front end with shocks. 3 Shock pod rear end. Much of the detailed parts are not shown but you get the idea.
I plan to configure for 2-3 single cell layouts as well. a couple of parts to switch things around. The stick pack is easier to layout at the moment.
More to come soon...
That looks really nice, what do you think something like that would sell for?
I still like your conversion idea, but think the cars would do better with only enough battery to run 7 to 8 minutes, along the lines of a sprint race.
williamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #760
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamw View Post
That looks really nice, what do you think something like that would sell for?
I still like your conversion idea, but think the cars would do better with only enough battery to run 7 to 8 minutes, along the lines of a sprint race.
The problem with my conversion is that goes to such an extreme that would be quite expensive. I was drawn to a new car from the ground up because its simpler, lighter and hopefully much less expensive compared to getting a nitrogen car and converting it.
I've been enjoying my WGT a lot so I was thinking what the next level could be.
That's when I came up with the new prototype. It's a bit of a hybrid of a pod/pan car with a nitro front end. When its done I hope to move forward with what should be a viable kit.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #761
Tech Elite

We had a great day with our 2 E-Mugen MRX4's yesterday. we got two on the track now with the Tekin RX8, and the 1550 KV 6S set up.. temp is no longer an issue and we seem to get faster and cooler with the gearing. We ran both of them in one of our nitro qualifiers yesterday, and I put mine 4th overall, with it being about .5 sec or so a lap slower, just need to work on handling a bit but it is 3300g so it is going to be hard to beat a 2550g nitro car...

what a rush though they get off the corner and accelerate like you have never seen... we have enough parts for a couple more conversion so we could have 4 of them plus a motonica at the TZGP.....

we are think our conversion kit would be under $200
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #762
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
We had a great day with our 2 E-Mugen MRX4's yesterday. we got two on the track now with the Tekin RX8, and the 1550 KV 6S set up.. temp is no longer an issue and we seem to get faster and cooler with the gearing. We ran both of them in one of our nitro qualifiers yesterday, and I put mine 4th overall, with it being about .5 sec or so a lap slower, just need to work on handling a bit but it is 3300g so it is going to be hard to beat a 2550g nitro car...

what a rush though they get off the corner and accelerate like you have never seen... we have enough parts for a couple more conversion so we could have 4 of them plus a motonica at the TZGP.....

we are think our conversion kit would be under $200
Any plans for an MRX5?
Collector/Vintage Cars:
-Serpent F180 (2x), Serpent Veteq, Losi Jrx2, Tamiya Avante & Associated RC10
KostaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #763
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostaG View Post
Any plans for an MRX5?

Rc monster n SNR made 1 for mrx5. I m building a mrx2
Old 06-27-2011, 04:14 AM   #764
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
I'm just talking about the Speed Passion 960 conversion motor mount. It installed nicely in the 950R.
does a Hobbywing 42mm diameter motor fit that Speed passion motor mount?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #765
Tech Initiate

The CC2650 (42mm dia.) sits in the mount near perfectly. The problem is the front plate now no longer can attach properly to the mount, it needs to be a few mm taller. I'll need to fab that, and it looks like I'll need to elongate the motor mount holes to allow adjustability. The motor was rubbing on the rear belt. I'll need to cut the rear part of the radio plate, and move the rear radio plate brace forward. The rear side braces just forward of the rear end need to be made longer too. This conversion certainly isn't plug-n-play if you're going with a bigger motor. I'll post a few pics up later, it'll explain it better.