Search
Like Tree6Likes

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Got the grip
Thanks .

The serpent 966 gives the Best mechanical Grip as far as 1/8 scale Onroad chassis"s Go. There will be no problems with Grip
All the 1/8 scale onroad chassis are great. I just like working with serpent;s The Veteq was a OK car .It was just hard to set-up!!.
Anyway here are a few more photos of chassis #2
Are you gonna put the conversion on the market?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not quite sold on the grip level thing but I do like the modular "ladder" channel chassis set up. Good protection for the Li-Po's. So umm.. where you gonna put the speedo?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
I'm not quite sold on the grip level thing but I do like the modular "ladder" channel chassis set up. Good protection for the Li-Po's. So umm.. where you gonna put the speedo?
The Speedo & custom li-po pack will be mounted to a one piece c/f part.
You might not be sure about the Grip level . But I am.
I am also working on a few 1/8 brushless 2-wd F1 chassis
Not the f180 but something Better.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

The Speedo & custom li-po pack will be mounted to a one piece c/f part.
You might not be sure about the Grip level . But I am.
I am also working on a few 1/8 brushless 2-wd F1 chassis
Not the f180 but something Better.
Better than the F180? Really?!Do tell!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Better than the F180? Really?!Do tell!
I will post up some spy shots .I just would like to get a little further along with them .
Old 05-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thanks .

The serpent 966 gives the Best mechanical Grip as far as 1/8 scale Onroad chassis"s Go. There will be no problems with Grip
All the 1/8 scale onroad chassis are great. I just like working with serpent;s The Veteq was a OK car .It was just hard to set-up!!.
Anyway here are a few more photos of chassis #2
Just concerned about the side rails making the chassis too stiff. If it works, who am I to say any different? Looks great!
Serpent did a great job designing the 966. I really liked my 960 but it was just collecting dust while I ran my Evolva so I sold it.

Are you cutting the carbon parts?
All machined or water jet?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I think that somewhere down the track they will probably phase out nitro vehicles due to their carbon emissions, I wouldnt put it past the government to start charging clubs that run nitro carbon credits tax, so a 1/8th EP scale car sounds pretty cool. I think there was a guy in QLD that tried to convert his Serpent 950 to a brushless monster, he had some footage of it on youtube as well. It's only a matter of time, they already have 1/8th motors and speedies.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I am watching this thread closely and am looking for this class to evolve. This will be truly awesome for electric onroad racing.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vazzo
I think that somewhere down the track they will probably phase out nitro vehicles due to their carbon emissions, I wouldnt put it past the government to start charging clubs that run nitro carbon credits tax, so a 1/8th EP scale car sounds pretty cool.

Which is funny because its not like EV are that much more safe for the environment, if at all. You still have a plant producing electricity somewhere, which looses alot of efficiency over our power lines. Then there is the poduction process of the batteries, and later the disposal of the battery....
I myself am a nitro fan at heart, but currently only run EP cars. At $40 a gallon, no thanks....
Old 05-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
Which is funny because its not like EV are that much more safe for the environment, if at all. You still have a plant producing electricity somewhere, which looses alot of efficiency over our power lines. Then there is the poduction process of the batteries, and later the disposal of the battery....
I myself am a nitro fan at heart, but currently only run EP cars. At $40 a gallon, no thanks....
Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Serpent 966 Brushless.
How could I forget about you...? I still remember your Serpent 835 work years ago (we have talked several times about that 835 project) and this 1/8th conversion is "SO YOU"....well done and keep that coming. Test run and video would be greatly appreciated...
Old 05-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vazzo
I think that somewhere down the track they will probably phase out nitro vehicles due to their carbon emissions, I wouldnt put it past the government to start charging clubs that run nitro carbon credits tax, so a 1/8th EP scale car sounds pretty cool. I think there was a guy in QLD that tried to convert his Serpent 950 to a brushless monster, he had some footage of it on youtube as well. It's only a matter of time, they already have 1/8th motors and speedies.
Eventually....yes. But I don't think 1/8th nitro on road will phase out anytime soon due to the long hour race (45 to 60 minutes average for main event). The current lipo with the appropiate motor...we are only hoping for 5 to 8 minutes of run time. Because of that, it won't replace nitro 1/8th. Also, the sound, the clutch and the pit work...those are the reason why they are still here.

Untill then....we are all whole bunch of 1/8th BL Lipo fans trying to do the convertion and proving that BL/LIPO can match NITRO in real life (technically, is already approved, except the run time...)

If you check the eariler pages, there are plenty of videos about these 1/8th conversion already...basicly, all you can find on youtube and other site can be found here in this specific thread.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Solara
Eventually....yes. But I don't think 1/8th nitro on road will phase out anytime soon due to the long hour race (45 to 60 minutes average for main event). The current lipo with the appropiate motor...we are only hoping for 5 to 8 minutes of run time. Because of that, it won't replace nitro 1/8th. Also, the sound, the clutch and the pit work...those are the reason why they are still here.

Untill then....we are all whole bunch of 1/8th BL Lipo fans trying to do the convertion and proving that BL/LIPO can match NITRO in real life (technically, is already approved, except the run time...)

If you check the eariler pages, there are plenty of videos about these 1/8th conversion already...basicly, all you can find on youtube and other site can be found here in this specific thread.
So why couldn't some new form of car with Li-Po's in it have an apparatus for quick change battery packs. It might be a bit costly for all the cells but it could be done. Never say never and always always always keep an open mind.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Quick-change packs could definitely be done. Remember the 1/10 superspeedway stock cars? A pit man could change a 6 cell nicad pack in 3 seconds! If need be, there is no reason it couldn't be done with 4s lipo packs. Don
Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

We did it in 45min F1 races without a quick change battery system in about 11 seconds...not as fast as a quick change but still pretty quick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.