Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Solara
Awesome....keep up the good work and looking forward for your result.
Rick and a buddy had a chance to test today - very promising:

eM3 vs Fuel M3 - same driver both cars, Rick Davis

Track: Toledo Ohio (GLC track)
Conditions - traction below average, loose - temp 73º, light hi clouds, 7 mph breeze

Best lap:

Fuel - 22.4 (not driven from driver stand)
LiPo - 21.8

(Rick feels the final realistic times will be similar)

LiPo results:
7 minutes run time.
Motor 130º
Speed control 100º
Battery: 130º
571 Mah per minute.

Excellent result!!!

Last edited by Rich Browne; 05-05-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: fact correction
Old 05-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Now that is impressive Rich.What runtime are you guys shooting for ultimately?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racenut123
Now that is impressive Rich.What runtime are you guys shooting for ultimately?
Hi John,

Well, first goal was 5 minutes. Met that easily.

Like to see 10 minutes.

Currently the electric M3 is about the same weight as the fuel M3. We need to see what improvements we can make in speed control setup to maximize run time. The eMP9 manages 310 Mah per minute. My gut says the 571 is too high. We can go with more height on the battery - the length and width are at maximum. We should be able to pull 10 minutes plus warm up with 6000 Mah packs.

Early to say....

Last edited by Rich Browne; 05-05-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: off road Mah miss-stated
Old 05-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Nice to hear.Did you guys have any kind of data logger on the car?I am interested to see what test would be like if the car was run on a well prepped surface.Being the conditions were less then ideal,I wonder what the outcome as far as MAH drain would be in a high bite situation. Your MP9e sucks out 479 per minute? Wow! Anyways,I will talk with you when I see ya! Don't forget your slash.I bet its lonely!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Nice to hear.Did you guys have any kind of data logger on the car?I am interested to see what test would be like if the car was run on a well prepped surface.Being the conditions were less then ideal,I wonder what the outcome as far as MAH drain would be in a high bite situation. Your MP9e sucks out 479 per minute? Wow! Anyways,I will talk with you when I see ya! Don't forget your slash.I bet its lonely!
Hi 'gain,

Keep in mind less than average traction at that track is the best some tracks could ever hope for. Well, my notebook did say 310 Mah/min for the eMP9.

Much more testing to go - today was day one.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Solara
Mid West Series ran IGT, 1/10th and 1/8th together...IGT are using STOCK pull start engine with no mod...lap are usually IGT 13 laps, 1/10th 200mm 15 laps and 1/8th 18 laps...and each one of those are ran by skilled sponcered drivers, and that was according from the just finished race @ Toledo, national class tracks...(not parking lot).

Even putting up some high end Nova Rossi on road or off road engine...I don't see any IGT can make up 5 laps and catch up any 1/8th...and yes, may be 1/10th 200mm TC, but I still think TC will have the edge due to the size. Not to mention...1/8th use foam, IGT use rubber, some not so fast, high down force engine...it just won't drives like 1/8th LOLA type on road...that is a fact.

If you are talking about drag racing...I have nothing to say, anything can be fast...

Again...I don't dislike any of those IGT chassis...just want to express mounting a BL and LIPO on a DM1 Spec does not equal to 1 of these BL/LIPO Serpent, Mugen or Kyosho...far from it.

I don't know other ppl, but for me, IGT should stick with nitro cause there are a big class about this class running in stock form...and of course, there are plenty of conversion out there for ppl to convert to LIPO/BL Buggy and race OFF ROAD...running it on ON ROAD is simply mounting street tires, and some setup adjustment, then go...easy. 1/10th 200mm...no reason to convert, we have plenty of EP 190mm already.........that only leave the 1/8th ON ROAD.......no conversion kit, no nothing...expensive to TEST but we have seen some FAST one that can hang with current nitro unit...that make it interesting...my 0.02 cents.
I think you're confusing the discussion of 1/8th GT's with the traditional 1/8th on road cars which I think this thread is mostly about. 1/8th GT's are only relevant here because their buggy siblings already went electric at least 2 years ago and plenty of conversions for those are available in the mass market. Lets keep this thread on topic of 1/8th On road. I'm really excited to see the developments going on with that.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
Hi 'gain,

Well, my notebook did say 310 Mah/min for the eMP9.

Much more testing to go - today was day one.
310 makes more sense as far as offroad goes.

Onroad is power HUNGRY!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:21 PM
wwoodruff

Thats a great result. Thanks for posting your test information. This could help revive alot of clubs simply because they can run electric at parking lots in town since the noise would be a non-issue.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 PM
wwoodruff

Originally Posted by tomkelley
I think you're confusing the discussion of 1/8th GT's with the traditional 1/8th on road cars which I think this thread is mostly about. 1/8th GT's are only relevant here because their buggy siblings already went electric at least 2 years ago and plenty of conversions for those are available in the mass market. Lets keep this thread on topic of 1/8th On road. I'm really excited to see the developments going on with that.

What ever you say forum Police.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wwoodruff
What ever you say forum Police.
no hard feelings.. just a thought!

Onroad is power HUNGRY!
I think thats because there's more grip therefore a lot more load too.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Thats a great result. Thanks for posting your test information. This could help revive alot of clubs simply because they can run electric at parking lots in town since the noise would be a non-issue.
I agree. Noise and expense for Fuel is rough. These times are calling for new options.

I will never diminish the excitement of fuel on-road — frankly it is sooo exciting - and very challenging.

We, at Empire, are very lucky to have one visionary backer (he wants to remain behind the curtain) who feels the exact same way as you - and has pushed us "to make this so".

Last edited by Rich Browne; 05-05-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DLS II
You could build one or convert a gas car. Some I hope to convert a gas w/irs. Here's pics of my 1/8 electric pan car. Don
Jeez Don,
I wish you had mentioned the pan car earlier.

Nice to see the Astroflight motor!
I still have a few of them. Those are a really smooth power plant and tons of torque.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:30 PM
wwoodruff

Originally Posted by YoDog
Jeez Don,
I wish you had mentioned the pan car earlier.

Nice to see the Astroflight motor!
I still have a few of them. Those are a really smooth power plant and tons of torque.
A simple pan car that used existing 1/8 wheels and bodies would be really cool, G10 fiberglass and machined aluminum to keep the cost down (tooling for molds is really expensive.) Ok maybe a way to add toe and camber, but no suspension. A simple 4wd layout like the little Spada 09 would be fantastic but only if the car does not cost anywhere near what the suspension cars go for. Ok I want it all for $250.00.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

A simple pan car that used existing 1/8 wheels and bodies would be really cool, G10 fiberglass and machined aluminum to keep the cost down (tooling for molds is really expensive.) Ok maybe a way to add toe and camber, but no suspension. A simple 4wd layout like the little Spada 09 would be fantastic but only if the car does not cost anywhere near what the suspension cars go for. Ok I want it all for $250.00.
RC300 Electric conversion anyone?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Onroad is power HUNGRY!
Just wait until I get my hands on that car.... I'm gonna suck the life out of those batteries! LOL

Actually can't wait to drive it and see how it handles and responds compared to the nitro M3. Rick is quite the master with an r/c car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.