R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   GTX Speedo went "POOF".... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/157922-gtx-speedo-went-poof.html)

Justinian 04-07-2007 08:02 PM

GTX Speedo went "POOF"....

.... I was running it in a new Evo V today using an Orion 4800 Lipo pack and a CO27 stock motor. Use a JR FM Reciever and a Futaba serovo, and use a capcitor on the reciver (found out the hard way when I fried 2 servos :rolleyes: ) Everything seemed fine when I recharged the pack after the second run, and when I went to connect the battery the motor tunred like the throttle was pegged and sparks and smoke came from the electronics... Didn't look like a short was occuring, but something bad happened.....Got it home and tried a different motor...same issues. I then tried a Mamba speedo and no issues.... so I think the GTX is toast :(

I haven't had issues with this setup in an offroad 2wd buggy (haven't had isseus with the GTX for over 2 years !), but maybe the strain of the 4wd TC was too much for it?? I know the GTX isn't specifically designed for lipos, so perhaps I was running on borrowed time???

I was going to use my other GTX with a 4800 lipo in my 10th scale pan car, but now I'm a little concerned that I might fry it too...?

At my local onroad track, they have a 13.5 brushless class that looks pretty neat, but I'm concerned now that the GTB's may not be designed for lipo use and they may have reliablity issues as well. The Sphere Competition does have a lipo mode and can probably run the 13.5 motor...but I've heard they aren't that reliable either.....

My Mamba Max probably could run the 13.5 motor, but without the sensor wire I'm not sure it would perform all that well... My 4600 motor tends to bog down a little on partial throttle and I like a lot of throttle response...(this could be the speedo itself I suppose....)

What should I do?? I probably need to replace the GTX with something, but what would be safe for Lipo use (assuming that was the origination of the problem...) in a TC?? Do you think I can still get away with running the GTX in my pan car since it probably won't strain the electronics as much???

Wild Cherry 04-07-2007 08:14 PM

Justian

Don`t worry bout the Li-Po cutoff safety...
I don`t even use it because when your car begins to fade and gets low, just pull off.

You will have plenty of voltage left in the battery ...
Usually I have about 7 volts left...
Lowest you can go is about 6.25 volts....

sorry bout the GTX....

Justinian 04-07-2007 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Justian

Don`t worry bout the Li-Po cutoff safety...
I don`t even use it because when your car begins to fade and gets low, just pull off.

You will have plenty of voltage left in the battery ...
Usually I have about 7 volts left...
Lowest you can go is about 6.25 volts....

sorry bout the GTX....

Yeah, that's what I normally do as well. I just run it no more than 8 minutes or so and pull it off...I normally have 7.5 volts still in it...

I'm more concerned about the speedo's ability to handle the characteristics of a lipo pack. It seems that Nimhs can peak at a higher voltage, and the voltage shouldn't be an issue with lipos... but I've fried 2 servos and now a speedo since I made the Lipo switch... never had these issues running Nimhs...but I had issues with Nimhs going bad and costing me just as much or more than the fried electronics over the course of a year :mad:

Maybe I should start running nitro instead.... :p

Justinian 04-07-2007 08:46 PM

I just looked a the price of a Tekin FX pro... doesn't look too bad.. their website says they can use lipos as well...So that may be the solution for now, and later I may get a brushless setup for my TC and move the FX over to my pan car....

I still would like opinions on the Tekin or any other speedo and the compatibility with lipos....

Sean R 04-07-2007 09:00 PM

Call novak and see what they can do for you.

Turbo Joe 04-07-2007 09:40 PM

Any ESC that can use 6-cell NiMh can use a Peak/Orion Lipo. They aren't any more powerful than a modern NiMh, they're just lighter and have less drama associated with them. They don't blow anything up...I use one with my GTX all the time.

You might have just had something short in the motor...could be pretty much anything. I would just send it in to Novak and let them handle it...their customer service is second to none.

Yeti35 04-07-2007 09:52 PM

Yeah, send it back and get a new one. I think you had an issue somewhere else that took the GTX out.

trilerian 04-07-2007 10:08 PM

Frying the servo's wasn't the batteries fault. The gtx has a 6v 3amp bec. So no matter what batteries you are using 6v is all the rx and servo see. So, you probably had a short in the bec, which led to other problems. But as suggested, send it in to Novak. Their customer service is excellent.

ford_racing 04-08-2007 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Justinian
At my local onroad track, they have a 13.5 brushless class that looks pretty neat, but I'm concerned now that the GTB's may not be designed for lipo use and they may have reliablity issues as well. The Sphere Competition does have a lipo mode and can probably run the 13.5 motor...but I've heard they aren't that reliable either.....

GTB's handle LiPo's fine, as do the Spheres. The Sphere runs the 13.5 fine, and they do have a good warranty, if you get a dud one it is likely to be a dud from day one and yuou should be able to change it over

Jmccormick 04-08-2007 07:19 AM

Even if the GTX fried because of an issue not associated with the esc novak has an excellent program where for like $59 you send in the blown GTX and they will send a factory reman GTX anf for around $79 they will sen a new one that to me is a good reason to stick with novak.......

Steve Weiss 04-08-2007 09:15 AM

Justinian-- You should contact our customer service department and see about sending your GTX in to us for replacement.

You can reach them by email at [email protected] or (949)833-8873.

FYI we always recommend running a schottky diode on the motor and the problem that running without it occurs faster in higher load situations like 4WD offroad and onroad touring car.

EddieO 04-08-2007 11:58 AM

The sphere has a good warranty? Are you not reading the nightmare thread where MULTIPLE people are waiting 3+ months to get a speed control back?

Take note, a Novak rep responding on here....

Send your GTX in and get it swapped out....all electronics can fail, the difference is, what does the company do to help the situation.....Novak has a very generous replacement policy on stuff no longer under warranty.

The only thing a speedo can do for lipo is provide a cutoff.....other than that, power is just power.....the speed control will work fine with either type of power source.

Later EddieO