LRP Sucks

Old 04-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by loopedout
ESCs arent rocket science and setting up a small test and repair bench should be thier primary concern.
I'm sorry, but that had me laughing for a good while.

A test and repair bench isn't enough for testing ESCs. I know this is a LRP thread, but we put them in cars, throw em' down on the track and put it through hell before we send it out. Bench testing can't really tell you if the unit can handle being put through the ropes in a car, it'll mainly tell you "yes it turns on, yes it calibrates, blah blah.."
Old 04-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)

yeah thats true, I heat all the board/elec assy's I fix to 150c and shock them at 150g's 50 times, 8 axis, that is the standard where I work. Gotta have the functionality tests. But then again I am dealing with standards that exceed class 3.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=burito]
@Ryan McBee: sorry to hear about your bad experience with the service, definitely that was not done in a satisfactory way. I'm sure the new "2007 Edition" speedo you got as a replacement will work very well now QUOTE]

Rito,
I just sent you an email. I am not sure if you read my whole post, but they sent me back my broken speed controller. I mentioned to Brad at AE that if they couldn't fix it in a few weeks to send it back. He assured me it wouldn't be more then that, so I agreed to wait and was shell shocked to open a box with my original broken speedo!

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

After reading this thread, I definitely won't be purchasing an LRP ESC.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ORANGE all the way great customer service best in the business. I've been running novak since I started this hobby 7 years ago and never used any other product.

I Have my GTB accidentally got wet when I was testing my car in front of my house But darn thing still works flawlessly thats how durable novak product is.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Heh - I *WAS* looking at brushless ESC's by AE/LRP, but I don;t want to wait 1/4 of a *YEAR* to get it repaired.

Looks like it will be an Orange GTB brushless combo for me...

I hae been all nitro for years - last electric I had was in 1994, an RC10L, trinity "ruby series" motor, hand-made/soldered saddle-packs, Orange ESC. Never had aproblem.

Currently have like 3 XXL FM receivers, 3 XXtra 75FM receivers.
They get fuel soaked, oil soaked, hit, bumped, scratched, dropped, who knows what else - not a one has EVER failed.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Man I wish I had YOUR luck Adrian...

A year ago last fall I had five QC2's (all purchased new) and was in the market for two brushless systems. One of my QC2's in my backup TC failed completely at it's second race (it didn't have 10 batteries through it), the main had finished and I was pulling back around to where cars are removed from the track and the car coasted to a stop. Never powered up again.

Sent the esc off to AE, got a call back from a tech there telling me it was melted down inside (funny, there'd been no smoke or odor...). He said it was likely "impact damage". Now I won't lie and say I never hit anything, but you'd sure think I'd manage to break something on the chassis/suspension if I'd hit something hard enough to damage the esc and that just hadn't happened. Fellow told me that was his determination, but that they'd replace it for a "special price", iir something like $120 (it was well over $100). I told him no way I was spending money to replace what was obvious to anyone a defective product (including to the shop owner I'd bought it from who witnessed what had happened and written a note to include with the speedo). Told the tech to forget about it. He asked what to do with my speedo--I told him. If he did it, he didn't sit comfortably for a while. Bastards probably repaired it and sent it off to some other unhappy customer.

I bought two GTB/Velociti systems that week. Over the next year I sold all my QC2's and bought several KO VFS esc's to replace them. I've not had a problem with any of the KO's other than one I bought used had the brake FET's blown out (seller hadn't known and paid for the repair). Sent it off to Robert at KO's US REPAIR FACILITY (are you taking notes AE/LRP?) and I had it back in a week, fully operational.

Novak's warranty/non-warranty exchange process has also treated me very well over the years as well.

I will never own another LRP OR Associated product again. I had been a loyal customer of both, but they lost the right to do business with me over what should have been a no-brainer warranty replacement.

Scottrik
Old 04-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a LRP v7.1, LRP Q1 and (2) Q2's and they work great. They have alot of batteries through them. I bought a twister for my sedan and I'm on my 2nd one in a year. And the LRP's are still going strong in my 12th scales. I keep one of the Q2's as a backup. LRP has been good to me. I had a v7.1 malfunction and I sent it back and they sent me a new one.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Burito,

What does me knowing you have to do with you coming on here and explaining the crap customer service? How was I jumping the gun? You realize what you said made NO sense....

As for gary.......people don't sail on a ship for years and then suddenly move half way across the country because things are all peachy......the ship was taking on water......I would take a life raft too.

Later EddieO
Old 04-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

My LRP sphere I bought a couple of months ago fried the first run I tested with. Around the 7th lap, the little blue heat sink on top of shpere comp came off, and then it litteraly began to smoke and meltdown. A few days later I sent it off to LRP/AE, and it took them 2 weeks to acknoledge the reception of my pakage. I gave them tracking info and signature confirmation and they still didnt know who the person was; they kept the game up for a week, untill they finally found the person and admitted that yes they have received it, but dont know where it is; they have to look for it, and once they find it, they can check out the pblm. Another week went by after they finally found the ESC and a week later they finally called me to tell me that they dont know what has caused the malfunction. At least they sent me a replacement, which I got about 1 month later. As soon as I got it, I sold it.

I have run Novak ever since, and never had those issues. Their customer service is great; and repairs are done within a week.

But my favorite systems now are the Mamba Max ESC systems from Castle Creations. THir service and support is even better, and replace items no questions asked...
Old 04-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Rito,

Will LRP being supplying replacement endbell a timing ring kits for the X11 motors?

Sam
Old 04-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

ok what 4 cell novak brushless can you run in 1/12 thats like a 9 turn
the lowest iv seen is like a 15 turn.
or i can get a novak esc with a trinity brushless for 1/12
but what will this be like when i have to send it back.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

My understanding is that you double the number on the Velociti motor and that will give a good approximation of the brushed motor it performs similarly to. Going with that a 4.5 should perform similarly to a 9-turn brushed motor. I know it's got more beans than I'M ready to handle...
Old 04-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Novak has very good customer service have dealt with them over the years I have speedo's that are 12 years old and no problems, as well as tekins. 2 very good companies to deal with! I have heard more negative with lrp than any other company.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

JUST GOT DONE READING THROUGH ALL 3 PAGES AND I MUST SAY THIS "LRP" PROBLEM IS A COMMON THING AT THIS POINT.

WE STARTED RUNNING BRUSHLESS MIDDLE OF LAST YEAR AND LRP'S AND NOVAKS WERE SPLIT ALMOST EVEN. NOW, AFTER SEVERAL RACERS LRP SPEEDO'S MELTING AND 1 GUY WAITING NOT 3 BUT AROUND 5 MONTHS TO GET HIS FIXED, THE TIDE IS CHANGING.

IT WASN'T ME PERSONALLY BUT A CLOSE FRIEND AND HE CALLED LRP'S CUSTOMER SERVICE SO MUCH THEY KNEW HIM BY FIRST NAME. THEY GAVE EVERY EXCUSE. " WE ARE IN PROCESS OF MOVING BUILDINGS", " WE HAVE UPGRADES ON THE WAY AND YOURS NEEDS THAT UPGRADE" , BLAH BLAH BLAH, BOTTOM LINE, HE BOUGHT A GTB. AND MANY OTHERS ARE FOLLOWING SUIT.

I RUN 3 GTB'S AND TO DATE HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM. I HAD AN ISSUE WITH A SS SPEEDO A COUPLE MONTHS BACK AND EMAILED NOVAK ABOUT IT ONE NIGHT. THE NEXT MORNING I AWOKE TO A THOROUGH RESPONSE AND WHAT IT WOULD COST TO FIX IT. AND THEY SAID FOR $50 AND MY BROKEN SPEEDO THEY WOULD SEND ME A NEW SS+ SPEEDO BACK TO ME FOR MY TROUBLE.

I STARTED WITH NOVAK, AND UNTIL TEKIN, WHICH I LIKE ALSO, COMES OUT WITH THEIR BAD AZZ SPEEDO, NOVAK IS WHERE I AM STAYING. AND EVEN AFTER TEKIN GETS THEIRS OUT, I WILL KEEP MY GTB'S BECAUSE AT LEAST I KNOW I CAN GET THEM FIXED IF I HAVE TO.

NOVAK ALL THE WAY

MARCEL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.