Wiki Posts
Search

Shaft Drive TC

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stampede
O.K.....I think I can see where you're coming from. Most of todays cars are built around shedding weight while trying to maintain a certain amount of durability. As parts get lighter or just smaller they lose some integrity. Look at the arms and hubs of an fk05 compared to a T2. Big difference.
Now, with that being said, it does seem odd that if racing is a small part of the industry as a whole, they would build 90% of kits geared towards racing.
The other end of the argument is "If you hit stuff, it'll break". Try making it through one month of racing with a TC3 and not break anything. But I can finish the last 2mins. of a run with a broken C hub on my fk05.It's not just new technology.

Jason
Shucks, aint no such thing as a "unbreakable car". I have bent stuff barely moving while major crashes have amounted to nothing more than a scuffed body. I have seen dudes with belts that if the surface isnt totally prepped, they flat out refuse to run. One guy, I heard him say,"I aint scuffing the bottom of my chassis". Um, what? Thats like buying a pair of shoes and you dont want the soles to get dirty from the pavement.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Which is excatly why I feel some companies are not doing it for consumers. Regular joes dont just drop it like its hot because its the latest and greatest. If it performs, we will run it until it cant run anymore. Xray didnt listen to any consumer because what consumer says, "i just dropped a grip on a new kit, make a new one to make my latest car obsolete". Advil, what you say makes sense only to those who dont know sales and marketing. I myself work in marketing and let me tell you, trendy doesnt last long. Eventually, it will catch up with them when people start to realize you can only develop something to the teeth every other year....not every 6 months. No one and I do mean NO ONE is that INNOVATIVE!
I guess it would be one thing to sell 1:1 cars or detergent or something but in the toy market, trendy is it. It is the "new hotness" that sells (I see this at the sales counter all the time).....not the staid ol' same ol'. While I agree that no one is that innovative, it doesn't change the spending for that (perceived) "competitive edge". It doesn't even change the spending just for "something" that is new. The Japanese toy car makers market new cars regularly because they have a large population of participants with disposable income. In order to capture market share they release "new" and "improved" with incredible speed. Is it better????? Probably not but their market place spends for the new and trendy. This effect has spilled into our market place. Here (in the U.S.) this will only last so long before we get tired of it. Other markets will embrace this stategy..... Right now it is a race to get new on the market and capture market share. I guess we'll see in a couple of months who hit the home run.

P.S. The $99 TC4 is the best deal going right now. Grab it while you can and enjoy!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

One guy, I heard him say,"I aint scuffing the bottom of my chassis". Um, what? Thats like buying a pair of shoes and you dont want the soles to get dirty from the pavement.
Ummm........I can't believe I'm agreeing with you. That dude is G-A-Y!
I'm goin' home..

Jason
Old 04-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Advil
I guess it would be one thing to sell 1:1 cars or detergent or something but in the toy market, trendy is it. It is the "new hotness" that sells (I see this at the sales counter all the time).....not the staid ol' same ol'. While I agree that no one is that innovative, it doesn't change the spending for that (perceived) "competitive edge". It doesn't even change the spending just for "something" that is new. The Japanese toy car makers market new cars regularly because they have a large population of participants with disposable income. In order to capture market share they release "new" and "improved" with incredible speed. Is it better????? Probably not but their market place spends for the new and trendy. This effect has spilled into our market place. Here (in the U.S.) this will only last so long before we get tired of it. Other markets will embrace this stategy..... Right now it is a race to get new on the market and capture market share. I guess we'll see in a couple of months who hit the home run.

P.S. The $99 TC4 is the best deal going right now. Grab it while you can and enjoy!
Advil, trendy is in when it comes to sunglasses and owning ugly little dogs you can carry in a bag. Wake up man. R/C isnt about trendy, is about performance. To say anything otherwise contradicts your own arguement. Your words, belts perform better. Not just because everybody likes em, but they are easier to adjust and win races with. If you are implying otherwise, then I there must be a bunch of guys faking it across the finish line.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Advil, trendy is in when it comes to sunglasses and owning ugly little dogs you can carry in a bag. Wake up man. R/C isnt about trendy, is about performance. To say anything otherwise contradicts your own arguement. Your words, belts perform better. Not just because everybody likes em, but they are easier to adjust and win races with. If you are implying otherwise, then I there must be a bunch of guys faking it across the finish line.
Sorry, I don't recall saying "belts perform better". I do remember saying that belts currently have the upper hand but that could change as easily as "who wins the next big race". If shaft drive starts wining big races.....I'll bet that consumers will want shaft drive cars...trendy...right??????
Old 04-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Default Not necessarily

Atsushi Hara dominated the world in 2005 with a shaft car. Other companies didnt want to deal with torque steer and opted for belts...even when they were getting duffed out by shaft. They were committed to belts because it was easier to take the torque from the motor, apply it to forward motion and make diff access simpler by going to belts. This also enabled racers to modify their vehicles quicker when racing from one class to the next. Now that is smart. Consumers saw the simplicity and followed suit. HPI realizing they were losing customers, had Atsushi, under the radar, start to drive the Cyclone. That isnt trendy, its clever marketing. For if the car failed, he could jump back to the Pro4. Once he started DOMINATING with the Cyclone, then and only then did they make a fuss. Thats not trendy, it's a good marketing strategy that couldve blown up in their face.

Oh yea, I retract the statement about you being all for belts. it wasnt you, it was that other dude.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
.....P.S. The $99 TC4 is the best deal going right now. Grab it while you can and enjoy!
Where is it listed? Please post the link.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Yub, yub, cmdr!
I know that the TC5 is out. But the TC5 is belt drive. Besides, I can pick up a TC4 Team kit for $99. I am looking for a decently competitive shaft drive TC that will spend 70 percent of time bashing and 30 percent of time at the track.
You need to ask this guy.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Atsushi Hara dominated the world in 2005 with a shaft car. Other companies didnt want to deal with torque steer and opted for belts...even when they were getting duffed out by shaft. They were committed to belts because it was easier to take the torque from the motor, apply it to forward motion and make diff access simpler by going to belts. This also enabled racers to modify their vehicles quicker when racing from one class to the next. Now that is smart. Consumers saw the simplicity and followed suit. HPI realizing they were losing customers, had Atsushi, under the radar, start to drive the Cyclone. That isnt trendy, its clever marketing. For if the car failed, he could jump back to the Pro4. Once he started DOMINATING with the Cyclone, then and only then did they make a fuss. Thats not trendy, it's a good marketing strategy that couldve blown up in their face.

Oh yea, I retract the statement about you being all for belts. it wasnt you, it was that other dude.
Not sure about the whole HPI vs. Hot Bodies thing. Local lore has it that Atsushi designed the Cyclone on his own but, that just may be conjecture. I have only met him once at the Nats and did not talk to him about where the Cyclone came from. I remember talking to Matt Francis at a local carpet race a couple of years ago and he attributed Atsushi's dominance to his set up knowledge and driving skills. He was particularly impressed with Atsushi's knowledge of shock set up.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

:-( out of stock as of last Sunday... :-(
Old 04-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Generate a lil buzz, dont take it personal. Keeps things live.
Okay, I get it now. I'm pretty sarcastic, but hard to see in writing.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Cyclone was designed by Murai, Hara's mechanic and a top Japanese racer. Basically its an improved Tamiya 415MS (a few parts are directly interchangeable). It was born after the 2004 season where the 415MS in the hands of Marc Rheinart was the dominant car at most top level races in Europe and Japan.

Hara tested his Pro 4 vs. his Cyclone. The Cyclone was faster and that was the end of the Pro4.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AdrianM
The Cyclone was designed by Murai, Hara's mechanic and a top Japanese racer. Basically its an improved Tamiya 415MS (a few parts are directly interchangeable). It was born after the 2004 season where the 415MS in the hands of Marc Rheinart was the dominant car at most top level races in Europe and Japan.

Hara tested his Pro 4 vs. his Cyclone. The Cyclone was faster and that was the end of the Pro4.
That deepens my arguement that manufacturers dictate. No one was squawking for HPI to come out with a belted car. The MANUFACTURER decided to do so. Hara did win the on-road worlds 2005 with the Pro4 though.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
T2 - $450 with sales tax
Battery strap - $40
Multi-diff - $50
Team Tamale rear hubs - $50
KO digital servo - $130
KO speedo w/ programmer - $220
KO receiver - $80
PT - $100

If you're sponsored then most of that equipement don't mean anything to you because you just get it for free. But for the rest of us who are self sponsored thats the real cost. Believe that.

Lets see my RDX comes with a one-way, battery strap, alum. rear hubs, now for the KO stuff you only really need the servo/speedo and a PT ..

I get some stuff for free but radio stuff is the hardest to get at a 100%..
Why not get a car that has everything in one box, what a stupid concept.

Your choice to follow everybody like sheep, your all sheep..
Old 04-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Default Sheep

Sheep, that is the way to put it...people who follow trends just because its in..SHEEP. Seems that originality and quality have gone the way of the dodo. Just on the strength of whatever, I am getting a Cyclone. Time to complete my HPI/Hot Bodies Family. I guess I just joined the flock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.