Wiki Posts
Search

Shaft Drive TC

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edseb
BTW bxpitbull, not sure when why you opted to turn this discussion in to insults, so...
Generate a lil buzz, dont take it personal. Keeps things live.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Are you kidding me? What planet did you learn this stuff on? Often the drivers dictate to the manufacturers. Many act as their own mechanics and do there own testing. Often in many cases they act directly as the liason with the engineers or are the engineer. Guys like Hara, Tosolini, Baker, etc., all work on their own or unless they need some help due to time, etc. Tosolini and Baker, among others ran for companies that had shaft cars and as soon as they switched they all said the belts were better, hmmm. Hara even is deeply involved in the design process. Guys like David Jun even design parts for their cars that go in to production. In Masami's case, he has the option to run shaft or belt for years, including to this day, and his dad Masaki was his mechanic and is still considered to be on of the best engineers/mechanics. I have a better idea, you start a company, hire drivers, don't listen to them, design a car none of them like and go shaft instead of belt because the whole industry is wrong on this one. You'll make tons of money. Idiot.
Again, you solidify my point. You are clearly stating how SPONSORED DRIVERS working on behalf of manufacturers are assisting in making key decisions. The consumer is considered lastly because lets be honest, we go by who is winning and what works for us. Seeing that most touring cars are following the same type of design, we as consumers arent left with much of a choice. I never said they dont listen to their drivers. I merely stated that they do not go based solely on what CONSUMERS look for. Now who is the IDIOT!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Stampede
Lower my tone? Easy chief. Did you see any thing in caps or any exclamation points? Did I call you any names? Nope. FYI, I wasn't trying to argue anything. Just stating that the consumers have very little say in the "next" version. And that revisions are done for a purpose.

Lower my tone?.....Sorry Pa.....Get a clue.

Jason
My man, got a clue. The f&*k in your previous post can be taken as brash, the way I viewed it. Please dont try to downplay it.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Advil
Actually I think you are confusing market strategy with innovation. Xray came out with a new car to keep sales up. The "new" and "latest" technology becomes a "must have" for the competitive consumer. This does not affect my thinking on belt vs. shaft. If you have customers screaming for a belt car....(AE) and you don't make one, you lost market share ($$$$). I think that the belt vs. shaft thing is simply that. Not really a case of "which is better", but a case of which sells better. I think currently belts have the upper hand but that can change as easily as which car wins the next big race.
Keep sales up? They just sold a ton of cars with the T2. The car was going strong and they dropped the 007. Take a peep in the Xray thread. See the frustration of the people who had just dropped over 550 for a car only to have Xray come out with the 007...oh yea, thats listening to the consumer.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CAlbrecht
Switch to Corally were all the hop-ups are in one box, get this you even get aluminum shocks can you believe it...

A grand into a X-ray is fucking rediculous..

BL sytem, with lipos has to be a big part of it I dont see that much money going into after market parts..
Thank you for further enhancing my point. At this rate, you can trade your old hooptie in to get an 1/10th scale race car. Yea guys, thats listening to the consumer. Most guys dont have a problem dropping a few duckets for a new car every couple of years. Thats what consumers like, affordability that is reliable and durable. Not, coming out with a quality product every couple of months and telling me the consumer that the previous version is now obsolete. Please.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CAlbrecht
...A grand into a X-ray is fucking rediculous..

BL sytem, with lipos has to be a big part of it I dont see that much money going into after market parts..
T2 - $450 with sales tax
Battery strap - $40
Multi-diff - $50
Team Tamale rear hubs - $50
KO digital servo - $130
KO speedo w/ programmer - $220
KO receiver - $80
PT - $100

If you're sponsored then most of that equipement don't mean anything to you because you just get it for free. But for the rest of us who are self sponsored thats the real cost. Believe that.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Keep sales up? They just sold a ton of cars with the T2. The car was going strong and they dropped the 007. Take a peep in the Xray thread. See the frustration of the people who had just dropped over 550 for a car only to have Xray come out with the 007...oh yea, thats listening to the consumer.
Exactly! They sold a ton of T2s and then they sold a ton of 007s. The car is so popular that stores have a hard time keeping them and their parts in stock. While I must admit there is a fair amount of griping going on (deserved IMHO) people voted with their dollars and have reinforced Xrays marketing strategy by having to have the "Lastest and Greatest". Xray is listening to their customer base by listening to the cash register. This whole strategy could back fire on them if they try to release a new car this year....or who knows...it could be another successful market penetration strategy. We will just have to wait and see on this one.......T2-008 anyone????? LOL

Their order fill rates on the other hand are atrocious...but that is a different gripe altogether.

Last edited by Advil; 04-12-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Yub, yub, cmdr!
My next question is:

do belt drive cars really get trashed up running on unprepped?
Yes, the ball diffs on belt drive cars get really gritty unless the drivtrain is enclosed, depending on what part of the country you live in. The only <edit> THREE CARS WITH BELT DRIVE <edit> I know of with enclosed drivetrains were the Losi Street Weapon, XXX-S and Yokomo MR4-TC (all defunct).

The $99 TC4 sounds like a no-brainer to me. If Associated is still selling the TC4 RTR and NTC3, then I would assume they will still have a reasonable amount of parts support for the near future. You might just want to pick up a spare set of a-arms and mabybe some diff parts or spare outdrives.

Last edited by G Ace; 04-12-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by G Ace
Yes, the ball diffs on belt drive cars get really gritty unless the drivtrain is enclosed, depending on what part of the country you live in. The only 3 belt cars I know of with enclosed drivetrains were the Losi Street Weapon, XXX-S and Yokomo MR4-TC (all defunct).

The $99 TC4 sounds like a no-brainer to me. If Associated is still selling the TC4 RTR and NTC3, then I would assume they will still have a reasonable amount of parts support for the near future. You might just want to pick up a spare set of a-arms and mabybe some diff parts or spare outdrives.
The XXXS was a single belt. Anyways, I think you're right in advice otherwise.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

The XXXS was a single belt. Anyways, I think you're right in advice otherwise.
How did I know somebody would misread that? I was naming 3 cars, not cars that had 3 belts (BTW, there were 2 of those, the Street Weapon and the FSR Bullet).
Old 04-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
T2 - $450 with sales tax
Battery strap - $40
Multi-diff - $50
Team Tamale rear hubs - $50
KO digital servo - $130
KO speedo w/ programmer - $220
KO receiver - $80
PT - $100

If you're sponsored then most of that equipement don't mean anything to you because you just get it for free. But for the rest of us who are self sponsored thats the real cost. Believe that.
Which is excatly why I feel some companies are not doing it for consumers. Regular joes dont just drop it like its hot because its the latest and greatest. If it performs, we will run it until it cant run anymore. Xray didnt listen to any consumer because what consumer says, "i just dropped a grip on a new kit, make a new one to make my latest car obsolete". Advil, what you say makes sense only to those who dont know sales and marketing. I myself work in marketing and let me tell you, trendy doesnt last long. Eventually, it will catch up with them when people start to realize you can only develop something to the teeth every other year....not every 6 months. No one and I do mean NO ONE is that INNOVATIVE!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by G Ace
How did I know somebody would misread that? I was naming 3 cars, not cars that had 3 belts (BTW, there were 2 of those, the Street Weapon and the FSR Bullet).
Oh, got you.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

My man, got a clue. The f&*k in your previous post can be taken as brash, the way I viewed it. Please dont try to downplay it.
Downplay what? I didn't say "F&#k you". Brash....hmmm...I'm keepin' that one!

Anyways...X-ray diffs with the covers are sealed up pretty good. If you're not running mod, they hold up for a long time. The other thing to remember to take an X-acto to clean out the teeth on your pulleys. Other than that, a belt drive car should make a fine basher. But how can ya pass up a $99 TC4?

Jason
Old 04-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Stampede
Downplay what? I didn't say "F&#k you". Brash....hmmm...I'm keepin' that one!

Anyways...X-ray diffs with the covers are sealed up pretty good. If you're not running mod, they hold up for a long time. The other thing to remember to take an X-acto to clean out the teeth on your pulleys. Other than that, a belt drive car should make a fine basher. But how can ya pass up a $99 TC4?

Jason
Thats what I'm talking about, bring the mother-effing ruckus.

But, in all seriousness, I have seen many of these belt dudes whine that they only run on prepared surfaces. Heck, if I am going to lay out some cheese on a car, it better be able to take some abuse. Electric cats seem to baby their cars. And they wonder why nitro dudes dont give em no respect.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Thats what I'm talking about, bring the mother-effing ruckus.

But, in all seriousness, I have seen many of these belt dudes whine that they only run on prepared surfaces. Heck, if I am going to lay out some cheese on a car, it better be able to take some abuse. Electric cats seem to baby their cars. And they wonder why nitro dudes dont give em no respect.

O.K.....I think I can see where you're coming from. Most of todays cars are built around shedding weight while trying to maintain a certain amount of durability. As parts get lighter or just smaller they lose some integrity. Look at the arms and hubs of an fk05 compared to a T2. Big difference.
Now, with that being said, it does seem odd that if racing is a small part of the industry as a whole, they would build 90% of kits geared towards racing.
The other end of the argument is "If you hit stuff, it'll break". Try making it through one month of racing with a TC3 and not break anything. But I can finish the last 2mins. of a run with a broken C hub on my fk05.It's not just new technology.

Jason

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.