Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What is the best touring chassis to start with? >

What is the best touring chassis to start with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the best touring chassis to start with?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default What is the best touring chassis to start with?

I'm gonna buy my first sedan chassis in a couple weeks and man! I can't make up my mind. I plan on doing indoor asphalt racing, probably won't go lipo+brushless for a while, most likely be using 19T. I've been saving so I have some Benjamins to spend. I already have the supporting electronics (radio, charger, power supply, etc.) and a chassis tuning stand. I just can't decide on which top-end chassis...they all seem kick ass! I'm asking the veterans out there to help me make a good decision based on reliability, ease of maintenance, and stock/hop-up parts availability. Here's my short list so help me decide!

Schumacher Mi3
Tamiya TRF 415 MSXX
Team Losi JRX-s Type R
Xray X2-007

I know that the Mi3 has been delayed until the end of April due some last minute problems with an outsourced part. I can wait. I just need feedback from experienced drivers to help me make a good decision on a chassis that will be fun to drive and maybe even win!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Have you been racing TC for a while or are you just starting?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just starting. I plan on racing at least once a week so the chassis will see lots of run time.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Your better off running what MOST guys would run at your local track, that way you will get the most help..The racers allways take care of there own..
Old 04-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

All those chassis are top class and have the potential to be competitive.

Parts availability is something only you can answer - which parts are on the local shelves?

Personally speaking out of those I would go for the Tamiya as an asphalt car, quality is excellent and the car is optimised for rubber tyres.

The Mi3 is unproven and unreleased although I am sure it will be competitive.

The Losi is perhaps more targetted at foam tyre racing and has a slighty chequered history although perhaps th Type R is the version that addresses those complaints.

The XRAY is a very popular car but I have to admit I am not a fan, and all the T2'007's I have seen locally seem to have fundamental handling issues (ie no rear grip) that I have never seen on an XRAY before, so I don't really know what is going on there.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

hurts not seeing the "tc5" in that list. i love my associated, what more can i say. im still running a tc3 converted with an irs chassis and stiffening kit, works well on carpet, and it was alot cheaper then a xray 007 lol
Old 04-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

People run a variety of cars where I go: Tamiya, Yokomo, Xray, etc. One guy has an Mi3 on order and a couple guys do run the 415 MSXX. I really like the simplicity of the Mi3 chassis, it's clean and looks easy to work on. The MSXX has probably the most hop-ups available but I've heard it's not as easy to work on as say an Xray. The Xray is a little cheaper, but parts are a bit more expensive. I really like the way Team Losi has centered the battery tray and motor on the JRX-S Type R..they say that chassis handles corners at speed alot better than most and the track I'll be at is quite twisty. Sorry I didn't include the TC5..I'm also considering what I can buy locally (supporting the hobby!)...
Old 04-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

I have had most of the cars on your list and they are all good cars.

Tamiya - Worked right out of the box with very little trouble. But the car gets a lot of slop in the parts quick and it gets out of tweak easy. Also the aluminum and Ti axles are too soft get steel ones.

X-Ray - One of the best engineered car on the market and the website support with their forums is great. This car works from the start and seams not to need too much attention on maintenance. The part I do not like on the car, but they work great, are the plastic shock bodies.

Losi JRXS-R - This car is amazing on how it is engineered and goes together easier than any kit I have put together. I have only had it a week an only ran it on foam carpet but it work really well with the stock setup. The bad part is that the parts supply and setup history is small right now but will not be an issue in the future.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great feedback SoCalMitch! Good to know about the Tamiya. Are there aftermarket shock bodies for the Xray? I'm kinda leaning towards the JRXS-R right now, but want to wait until the Mi3 has been out a bit and see what kind of response it gets. The forum on Schumacher's website is full of crazy Brits just itching to get their hands on one...what about a Yokomo? I've heard great things about these cars. Looking at an MR4TC-BD...
Old 04-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

The best touring chassie to start with is the one you are most excited about.

Snowy.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just started racing at my local track--Seattle Indoor Raceway--this January. Before I bought my first car, I was all stoked to get an X-Ray and a brushless motor and fire it up. But then I found out that the most popular class on my race night was GT3, or silver can, and that the chassis to get was the TA05. At first I thought that would be pretty lame. But as it turns out, the silver can class is really competitive, the cars are actually pretty fast, and I have learned A LOT since starting. And the TA05 is one tough mofo, which means a lot when you're just starting out as a club racer.

Maybe it will be different in a couple of years, but I plan on always having a silver can car to throw on the track. And it will probably be whatever is Tamiya's best tub racer. So for what's it worth, find out if your club races silver can, and consider the TA05. Especially since the TA05-R is coming out now.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scarymonster
I'm gonna buy my first sedan chassis in a couple weeks and man! I can't make up my mind. I plan on doing indoor asphalt racing, probably won't go lipo+brushless for a while, most likely be using 19T. I've been saving so I have some Benjamins to spend. I already have the supporting electronics (radio, charger, power supply, etc.) and a chassis tuning stand. I just can't decide on which top-end chassis...they all seem kick ass! I'm asking the veterans out there to help me make a good decision based on reliability, ease of maintenance, and stock/hop-up parts availability. Here's my short list so help me decide!

Schumacher Mi3
Tamiya TRF 415 MSXX
Team Losi JRX-s Type R
Xray X2-007

I know that the Mi3 has been delayed until the end of April due some last minute problems with an outsourced part. I can wait. I just need feedback from experienced drivers to help me make a good decision on a chassis that will be fun to drive and maybe even win!
Of the cars you have listed, the Tamiya 415 chassis is the most proven race car on asphalt. I have raced the Tamiya 415TRF, 415TRF MS, TRF415 MSX. These cars are hard to beat on asphalt.

They are durable, but like any racing chassis, if you want to keep it competitive, you need to tear it down, clean the bearings and rebuild it. I have not driven the TRF415 MSXX, but my understanding is the chassis is 2mm vs 2.5mm used on the MSX. The thinner chassis should be better on asphalt, and if you start racing 5 cell instead of 6 cell packs, the car should prove to be even better.

Since this is your first sedan, you are most likely going to beat it down pretty quick while leaning to drive. A good idea is pick up a used TRF415 MSX, or what ever you fancy (very reasonable $200.00). After you improve your driving skills, then go and invest in a new car. Plus you will have a few bucks left in your pocket for tires, batteries and spare parts.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default 007

Go the XRAY007,
Its the strongest touring car out there perfect for the new racer.
Set it up as kit setup and watch it fly
wwwwwhhhhhoooooo!!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I dunno how many threads I have said this on, I had an X Ray, was a pain in the a... almost drove me to quitting, back to the TA05, I'm quicker, parts are cheaper and break less often.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Go for the one with the support at the club you intend to race at and an easy supply of parts, otherwise it can be hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.