Wiki Posts
Search

Losi XXX-S VS Xray T1Raycer

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Losi XXX-S VS Xray T1Raycer

Hey guys,
I want a NEW Car but i dont know which to go for...
I prefer the Losi XXX-S otherwise the Xray Raycer... But i havent driven neither of them and i would like some comments on them and which one i should purchase...
Otherwise tell me some other cars apart from a TC3 that you guys have had no problems with are think are heaps good

Thanx guys...
Old 04-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It really depends on two things. Does your track carry parts for either? Also, are you familiar with car tuning? The XRAY can be just as competitive as any car but requires a more adept hand when it comes to making adjustments. I'd say go with the Losi.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

The biggest thing is part support. I recommend purchasing the car that has the most spare part available at your hobby shop. Doing the mail order thing is troublesome especially if you have to wait to get your spare parts in. As for the car, both cars are very capable of putting you on the winner's podium.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have an Xray and I think it would be the better of the 2 cars. when I first got the xray I was no Expert on setting up the car by any stretch of the Imagination. I used the set up as per the assembly Instructions and went from there.
The Xray came with a comprehensive set up book that teaches you what each adjustment on the car will achieve so you can easily try a few different set ups until you find the one that works for you and the track you race at. You don't have to buy a thing for the car if you don't wan't to. The car comes with every adjustment that you would want or need straight out of the box unlike many other kits where you have to buy additional caster blocks or toe in rear uprights etc to get the settings you want. The Xray is also very durable as I have found out. I have had some major high speed crashes whilst running a 9 Turn in my Xray with absolutely no ill effect and almost no need to readjust the suspension settings after any crash that I have had.
I have read on some threads in this forum that the losi is a fragile car that will easily break lower suspension components etc. I can not vouch for this personally but it does come up regularly when the Losi XXX-S is mentioned.
I do however like the Losi's Sealed drivetrain very much and there is no doubt that the Losi is more than capable of winning races in the right hands as it has shown at more than a few major races.
Above all, parts back up is the most important thing because it is no good having the car sitting around for weeks while you have to wait for a suspension arm to be ordered in. I suggest that whichever you decide to get, order in a few parts at the same time that are prone to breakage. Just ask some owners of the car that you decide to get what parts they find are the most prone to breakage. I have several unopened bags of parts that I bought when I got my Xray and they still sit in my kit unused. Its good to know that they are there though if I need them.

Steevo
Old 04-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Tech Adept

What you say is true about the losi is true, i am in the process of selling mine on ebay. I'll be switching to the TB evo III. I got so upset with breaking parts on my losi i was this -->|| close to throwing it against the wall. It's weak, real weak compared to my brothers x-ray evo 2. Our driving styles are similar. However whenever he hits something, he keeps on trucking, while i go straight to the pits. It is true that you can get parts for a losi anywhere and that is a plus, but as for me i got tired of buying them. Being a college student my pockets don't run that deep. I would say get a rock solid car like the evo III or x-ray evo 2. leave the losi alone, buying parts every week gets old quick.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

I've taken some pretty bad hits and not broken with my losi....

lesson of the day:
don't hit stuff!
Old 04-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Axiom5B
I've taken some pretty bad hits and not broken with my losi....

lesson of the day:
don't hit stuff!
Hi Axiom5B,
From what I have read your XXX-S must be the exception rather than the rule. I like the design of the losi very much, don't get me wrong but I have heard way more people saying how weak it is.

In the end I guess you are right "Don't Hit Stuff"

Steevo
Old 04-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Yes maybe i guess, granted i have broken a few arms in mod on a very tight indoor carpet track....but other than that i'd say its pretty durable.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default XXX-S vs XRAY T1R

I believe jkchoi is talking about the T1R, the sport version of the T1 or EVO2. The T1R is just as capable as the EVO2 just doesn't have all the tuning possibilities. As for the XXX-S are you referring to the regular XXX-S or the Graphite Plus? I had the Graphite Plus no problems with it breaking but I could never get the car balanced acted like the chassis was tweaked from the factory. I have the EVO2 and well it speaks for itself it is just flat out awesome! If you are on a budget and are comparing the T1R vs the regular XXX-S take the Losi much easier to get parts for and upgrade. If you are not on a budget then EVO2 is the only way to go!

Later
Old 04-03-2003, 01:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys...
Thanks for all the info really appreciate it...
As i was saying i was referring to the Xray T1Raycer (the cheap plastic version of the Evo 2)
I race at a track in Sydney, Australia at a club called NRCCRCC. Its an outdoor track which is widely spread out. It has both tight corners and long straights, i run stock. So i need a car with both top speed and fast around corners.
The replys that you guys are giving me are a real help thanks, so overall i was wonderin if you guys could tell me which one would have a good top speed and fast around corners...
Thanks guys,
Oh by the way, It is the normal version of the losi VS Xray RAYCER (they have both a wide range of spare parts at a shop sort-of near me.)
Thanks again
Old 04-03-2003, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If you have access to both it is completly up to you. If the T1R is upgradable to EVO2 status by all means the T1R is the way to go. If not then the Losi may be the car of choice as it is easy to upgrade to the Graphite Plus.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

I would definately choose the T1R over the standard Losi XXX-S.
All Xray parts from what I know are Interchangeable so you can slowly upgrade your T1R with any of the Evo 2 Parts if you like.

As far as top speed is concerned, I can only go according to a magazine shootout where the Losi XXX-S and an Xray T1 were tested amoungst several other cars. According to the track tests the Losi turned in a Fastest Lap time which was 2/10th's of a second better than the Xray. Make of this what you wish....

Just for the added Info the fastest lap time in the Test was by the Schumacher Mission Pro and the slowest was the STR-4 Pro.
All cars were fitted with 10 Turn Motors.
Once again you can make of these figures as you like...

Steevo
Old 04-04-2003, 02:34 AM
Tech Elite

Yep, parts support are the main thing.

Assuming both are supported well in Sydney:

If the track aint cleaned so well, I would go with the Losi, because of the sealed drivetrain.

But other than that, I would go for the Raycer.

The main thing about corner speed, is driving style AND setup. The Raycer definately got easy access to tuning options, like externally adjustable shocks, diffs, downstops and more. It also comes with a tuning guide. I havent read it all yet, but the parts I've read, seems to be very good. So it should be easy to adapt the Raycer to your track and driving style.

About regular speed, it's much about keeping the drivetrain free. Also here, the Raycer got nice bearings and low friction belts. Other than that, it's about maintenance of motor, bearings and keeping the rotating mass down. Like choosing light tires and maybe a solid front axle, which are avaible for the Raycer.

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 04-04-2003 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Also, as far as I know, there are way more hop-ops for the Raycer, than for the Losi.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

I'd say they're pretty close Cole. Hard coated threaded shocks, Ti turnbuckles, all the graphite components, all the springs losi offers, all the blue/red trinity hop-ups, front oneway, aluminum, carbon fiber, or steel belt cover on the bottom, stainless steel, Ti, or aluminum screw kits...the list goes on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.