Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racing Theory

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 06:43 PM
Tech Adept

When it comes to success outside the track relating to on-track success, I think there could be some correlation.

Success, as some have stated, doesn't necessarily mean financial success. I believe that successful people are successful because they are able to look at a problem and figure out a solution.

Another possible tie-in could be people skills. If you are a friendly person, other racers will be happy to help you get your car working.

It all comes down to what definition of successful you use. Personally, I like my definition.

Jeff Gilligan
Old 03-31-2003, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

I find that when i race and im happy before, i go home happy, and when i race when im unhappy, i go home happy. Even if i come dead last and dont get through all the races i am still happy that i got the chance too race. It's probably because im kid and only race at club level. But its something too look forward to at the end of the week
Old 04-01-2003, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Popsracer, Johnny J and Gotpez, I think you guys have some good points.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:45 AM
Tech Elite

First point:

In any sport, there are some people that are just better at it. Every professional athlete trains to the maximum, but still Tim Montgomery is a tenth quicker over the 100m sprint than anyone else. Schumacher is always a few tenths quicker than Barrichello. Same in R/C, some guys can just drive the cars quicker.

Second point:

Success in R/C demands a degree of intelligent thought, attention to detail, and a decent memory of what's worked in the past. I'm not an amazing driver, but I can get the car around, and I know that attention to detail is worth half-a-second a lap - which gives me better results. These skills serve you well in the professional world.

So is a successful person going to make a successful R/Cer? Not necessarily, because they may not have the natural talent. But someone who understands R/C and is well prepared may well translate those skill to the outside world and succeed.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

i don't think success with your social/finacial/grades you would nessisarily be a better driver. well if u do have these, you might concentrate more on practice. but when you are actually competing i think that everything is wiped out of your mind. thats what so great about r/c driving. all of the bad things happening get wiped out of your head. the only thing you think of is ur driving, your car. i sometimes even forget that im hungry when im driving and only till i wait for my batteries to charge i realize. so i don't think that "success" has anything to do with driving/racing.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:19 AM
Tech Initiate

I find that success at the track depends on your state of mind before the race. I've had days where I'm happy before a race, come dead last and still walk away happy(and the rest of the guys at the track fretting over how to fix my car ).

It also depends on how much mental energy you wish to put in, how much concentration your willing to give it will determine the amount of fun/success you have at the track.

I think it is true that some people have ways of controlling their current state of mind and this reflects on their results. I've seen people who fret all the time about their results compared to other racers and I find this doesn't help them. When I race I try to beat my last best time. I see other cars on the track as obstacles not necesarily opponents.

The most memorable moment for me in racing was a night when I posted a personal best of 4 laps, every race I had trouble(from car trouble, electronics to other racers hitting me), the reason I was happy with my results was that each time I did a little better than my last result.

So the bottom line is its all in your mind, and wether you can control your emotions and concentration that determines a successful race or not. Outside influences CAN contribute to this but it is inconsistant unless you are wary of how your regular life can impact on your racing success.

Just my 0.03c
Old 04-01-2003, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So what half of you are saying that if 3 hours before you left for the track your boss called and fired you, or your wife told you she was cheating on you and gonna leave you for your best freind....... you would still do well at the track???.... I seriously doubt it!

Let me tell you about my best week of racing and my worst.........

2 posts to come----
Old 04-01-2003, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Default BEST WEEK

During the week I had a good week at work, I got the biggest raise I had ever had (15.9 percent!!), my wife and I where very happy, and I bought a brand new car to race!!!!

I ran 3 vry good and fast qualifiers holding TQ for the first 2 and getting beat for TQ by only a few seconds in the third....

I started 2nd, and due to severe bad luck was dead last and 3 seconds from being 2 laps down by the end of the first lap..... I then settled in at around the 1 minute mark, and worked my way thru the feild and by the 4 minute mark I wason the lead lap and in 4th place!! Then I caught 3rd and second and made quick work of them...... I finished less than a second behind first!!!!

That was the absolute most satisfiing race of my entire life!!! I then proceeded to have the 2 best weks at work afterwards and ended up moving into a new position!!!
Old 04-01-2003, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Default WORST WEEK

A few weeks ago, I am now working at a job I don't particularly care for due to a lay-off at my old job. I almost got into a battle of words with a co-worker, found out that our yearly building wise raise was the smallest percentage raise I had ever recieved, and my wife and myself got into an arguement because she couldn't go racing with me and she doesn't really care for the guy that went with me..... But I did have a new car!! LOL ......which wasn't a particularly good thing!!

We got to the races late, and I ended up spending the entire practice time setting up my back-up car which he was driving. I only got one pack of practice which I found out my car was extremely loose... I spent all day making adjustments to the car to no availe. I pulled the car in 2 heats and the main, breaking on the 3rd heat!! Finished dead last in the B!

2 days later I was having very good day and finally decided to take a gander at the car o find the problem... I mean it had to be a buildng error, right?!?......... well I looked at teh car and instantly saw the problem..... I had been running the batteriesin the back position ALA TC3....... well I knew from experience that this would make the car extrelmely loose on corner entry which was the problem I had!!!! Noe had my mind been clear at the track I wouldn't have wasted a whole race day tring to figure this out.........

SO you see, I firmly believe that sucess breeds sucess!!! If I have a bad week off of the track I am certainly not going to try and got the track on Saturday!!!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Well, just to reiterate what a few have said...racing is mental. Most of the people that do well racing are dedicated to learning. They are usually meticulous in their preparation. I think, for those people that have dedication, that really just exemplifies their general demeanor. It may appear that they are well off in their away-from-the-track lives because they consistently dedicate their attention to what they are doing at that moment. So I can see where there would be a perception of a relation between the two. Practice means nothing if you don't learn from it. I, too, have seen people practice forever and never gain anything. I also know some people who strive to learn what can make them go faster while away from the track...and when they bring it, they bring it.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

I think intelligent people tend to do well at racing, but not neccesarily just academically intelligent people, but people who have "Life Intelligence" as well.

For whatever reason these people might not be motivated by school, but when they actually are motivated by something, like RC cars, their intelligence comes to the fore. People who are able to learn quickly can constantly adjust to changing track conditions etc as they drive.

Then again, some people are just dumb arses
Old 04-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

btw, I am not saying that if you are not good at racing then you are dumb........... your intelligence perhaps just lies in a different field.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Tech Initiate

This maybe the most intresting thread on here
I've seen this. Stress at home is stress at the track.
If your wife is nagging the kids are sick and your job is killing you, your chances of having a good night at the track are low.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey,
Everyone's posts that I have read so far brings up a lot of good key points. I think a lot of racing is mental. If I'm having a bad day( woke up late, tripped on stairs, etc.) I don't race as well as I could have because my mind was not fully focused on the track. When I'm racing I usually take a couple minutes before my race to just chill and talk with the locals. It really calms me down and their isnt so much pressure to do well.
Another point is some people just have natural skill at something. This was something I excelled in. I was lucky to have that happen.
Another point is track time. I was at the track 2-3 times a week for about 4 months at one point. I was trying new setups and ideas and just driving. This helped me a ton to improve on what I had already found in myself.
One more point is dont be afraid to ask for help! I know a lot of people, including myself, are ready and willing to help many people at the track if they ask. You can only improve by learning and sometimes that involves a few questions.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:37 AM
Tech Elite

I find that there are alot of guys that are helpful at the track too, however there a re a certain class of jackasses, usually older ex-oval racers, that are very unwilling or even give you bogus info......

Case in point------

A few months ago a freind and I went to a local carpet track for some stock sedan racing, he was driving my FTTC3 and I was driving my Losi G+...... During the 2nd qualifier I broke a lower shock mount on the front. I went to the counter and asked for them and they where all out, but they pointed me in teh direction of one of the Losi sponcered racers, I asked him if he had any, he said no he had given a whole bag of 20 to a local guy..... he then pointed him out, so I walk over and ask him if he had 1 (JUST 1!!!!!!), he said no he needed some too!!!!! SO I figure I went to the wrong guy..... go back to the Losi guy and tell him I'm sorry, but I think I got the wrong guy, so he walks over to get me one................... and it is the same SOB I asked just 2 minutes before!!!!!!!!! He opens his box and had the entire bag unopened!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.