Search

HPI Vintage racing tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default HPI Vintage racing tires

Hi

Has anyone tried using these tires and what was the grip level like?

Rodney
Attached Thumbnails HPI Vintage racing tires-hpi.jpg  
Old 03-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

On what surface? The only experience I have had was on carpet. If you can imagine that you coated about 1/4 of a CS-27 tire with CA, that's what it would be close to.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a set I use so I can take pictures of the muscle car bodies I have. The tires look really good but on a surface like carpet its like I was driving on ice. I don't imagine asphalt would be much better
Old 03-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

These tires are only available in HPI's D-compound which is the one of the hardest compound they make tires in, other than their drift tires. They're only good for playing a bashing outdoors on a hot day but thats it. I don't think Sorexs or RPs will even fit the nostalgia rims because it is a different diameter than standard TC rims. So you're out -a-luck there if you want to do some serious racing.

My suggestion is to find a good TC sized rim that looks best to you and use a proper tire. I use the Pit Shimizu Watanabe style rims. They look like Panasports and their availalbe in 2mm and 4mm offsets. I last bought some from RCMart (Dinball).
Old 03-23-2007, 02:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
These tires are only available in HPI's D-compound which is the one of the hardest compound they make tires in, other than their drift tires. They're only good for playing a bashing outdoors on a hot day but thats it. I don't think Sorexs or RPs will even fit the nostalgia rims because it is a different diameter than standard TC rims. So you're out -a-luck there if you want to do some serious racing. (Dinball).

Why do you have huge amounts of grip in order to have serious racing?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrOlds
Good point - racing in the 'good old days' of sports car racing wasn't about who could get the most grip - they had rock-hard tires, no aerodynamics to speak of and drove by the seat of their pants, not electronics wizardry
Old 03-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

Usually to keep up with the other people that have the huge amounts of said grip
Old 03-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Vintage tires

....a while back a few of us ran a vintage Mustang body only race at So Cal Raceway. Ran the tires/wheels, inserts with Paragon and they worked pretty good. The key is that they are good if everyone else is running them, ie. spec class, or if it's a very low bite track where everyone is struggling with grip anyway.

....they work, but keep in mind that they were not designed to go up against full fledged super sticky race tires.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

No, thats not the point. Besides if grip wasn't any issue with these tires then there is no point in this thread to begin with at all. Just run them and have fun. You should ask the thread starter why he is concerned about grip.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Frank McKinney
Good point - racing in the 'good old days' of sports car racing wasn't about who could get the most grip - they had rock-hard tires, no aerodynamics to speak of and drove by the seat of their pants, not electronics wizardry
I've seen you race in the 'good old days' Frank and you really can benefit from the "electronic wizardry". and grip as well.

Hey, why stop at vintage wheels and tires? Why not lets go all the way and run vintage TCs like TA01s, TA02s, 1st gen RS4 with single belt to the front, original YR4...etc...etc...
Old 03-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Regular

I was wonder becuase I want the car to look good and handle well, beside long tread life will save me money in the long run

Rodney
Old 03-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Don't put a lot of power through them if you run different sizes (26mm front and 30mm rear) I tryed it in a HPI pro3 with a 7700 mamba, the difference in widths caused a difference in gearing and resulted in a very tail happy car. I don't think a Dbox could control it, think of them like drift tires and use a stock motor
Old 03-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

I run these tires on my parking lot basher car, a yokomo CGM with a Novak 5800 motor and a 68 Camaro Body and they work perfectly fine for their intended purpose... They are not Race tires unless you are racing a nostalgia class with muscle car bodies...

crazyjr, 26m and 30mm are the widths, NOT the diameters, it will not make a tail happy car.... A dbox is a Futaba Heli gyro that you paid a lot more for, that's it....
Old 03-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

We tried the Hpi vintage tires in our spec TT-01, carpet, 27t class. They really didn't provide enough traction to be fun. However, we have moved to the stock 540 in an attempt to even out the playing field a bit more (which is quite sucessful). I think perhaps the next move it to use the vintage tires since we are required to use vintage bodies.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
I run these tires on my parking lot basher car, a yokomo CGM with a Novak 5800 motor and a 68 Camaro Body and they work perfectly fine for their intended purpose... They are not Race tires unless you are racing a nostalgia class with muscle car bodies...

crazyjr, 26m and 30mm are the widths, NOT the diameters, it will not make a tail happy car.... A dbox is a Futaba Heli gyro that you paid a lot more for, that's it....
Yes it does, when the tires grow different. With a 7700 there was about a 1" difference at full throttle