R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-05-2001, 11:00 PM   #16
Tech Addict

This is how I abuse my Sanyo's....

After the current days final race, discharge @ 20amps to 5.4v

I cycle them once(4amp charge/20amp discharge to 5.4v) 2 or 3 days before needing them again.(only if more than a week between races)
The night before the race, charge them.
Use them in practice, allow to cool then charge again. Each successive charge is done after cooling, no discharge during the day.

I don't store them with a charge in them, I probably should, the numbers haven't come down dramatically though.

I use a CS spacecharger and an Orion Digital discharger, so I can see the numbers are still there.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 12:51 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Originally posted by sleek the elite
Um HELLO!!!!

This is about NiMH cells not NiCDs.....

You really need to state what make of cell you are using when you give information, what works for smh's does not work for Sanyo's.

For Sanyo's (Original) 3000's, Use 10-25 times then sell or use as practice packs (or bin)

For Smh's, it seems that keeping them with a partial storage charge keeps them roughly in their new state, while keeping them fully discharged increases their voltage and decreases their runtime. Be sure that they are fully discharged before charging them no matter what.

Also, don't write off Powers, there must be at least the odd good pack around the place because I have seen other cells taken out of the car and powers put in, with no change in gearing, and they fly. This is not a Team driver either. Having said this, they are not as good as SMH's, but they can be better than other cells out there. Also, look out for the new Sanyo HV's, should be interestring

It was just a question, what harm did it do???
we are just talking about batteries here.........
He was just had i question if what we are doing with NIMH would work on NiCDs..........

Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 02:13 AM   #18
Tech Regular

my bad,

I didn't see the original post asking about the nicads, reading too quickly and seeing the post stating that you should just discharge completely, which obviously doesn't apply to NiMH, so apologies all round

sleek the elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 03:55 AM   #19
Tech Regular
Default apology accepted

zxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 05:54 AM   #20
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I own a Novak Millenium and wanted to know what mV threshold I should set it at to charge my SMH. I am always getting false peaks so far, but I heard changing the mV threshold solves this problem. Plus I am still new to the SMH's so what amps should I charge at and how should I store or discharge them.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 09:44 AM   #21
Tech Champion
Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Ty- If the packs are false peaking fairly early on in the charge you may just try and set a higher lockout period (time before the peaking detection to come in). I'm not familiar if the Millenium has this function?

I'm using a delta peak of 3mV on SMH packs, I would not advise going over 4mV on these packs unless you are really serious about racing and don't mind killing your packs in a short time!

Last edited by dtm; 09-07-2001 at 09:46 AM.
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 09:47 AM   #22
Tech Master

Just a note: I don't own a millinium, however I met a gent on the track who owns one, he told me that in order for his millinium to not false peak he had to get a power supply capable of supplying (if I am not mistaken) 14A.

Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 12:32 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

adjusting the volt threshold on any charger will allow you to gauge when the charger detects a drop in voltage. what does this mean? when the battery nears full capacity, the voltage will begin to drop. this is measured in milivolts. hence, lowering or raising this value is merely moving the point in which the charger will stop charging. it doesn't put any more or less of a charge in your battery. for smh nimh i use between 4-5 mv. for nicads (2000 & 2400) i use 15mv. the reason for the disparity is that nimh begin to heat up quickly as it reachs full peak, nicads don't heat up as fast, and heat isn't as detrimental to nicads as it is to nimh's.

for charging smh nimh's, they will generally false peak until after a good 10-15 cycles (when they are new). keep your eye on the voltage (beween 9.4 - 9.6 is a good charge ) and make sure the batteries are still cool to the touch. if it false peaks and the voltage is still low, go ahead and re-peak the battery. if it false peaks, the voltage is low, but the temperature is hot, re-peaking will be detrimental. i guess what i'm trying to emphasize is that battery temperature is the best way to gauge a smh nimh. the newer chargers are using software that will be better suited for nimh's. current chargers are just as suited, but you'll have to monitor it closer.
diesel31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 03:45 PM   #24
Tech Initiate
Send a message via AIM to Bullseye

How hot is too hot for NIMH?
I know that NiCds should be around 106 degrees after charging.
What should NiMh's be at?

I have been checking and my NiMh's when peaked are around 135 degrees. That has me a bit worried considering the 30 degree difference between that and my NiCd's.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 05:57 PM   #25
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Corey Bernardo

Guys I am having some probs with my SMH cells! LOL. SO I am about to get some new ones, but I want to know how exactly you take care of them? Do you discharge them after you run them? Or just put them away, until next charge? And if you put them on a tray?

after running the pack in my car, would it be smart to put it on a RealTime 2(or any other) tray? then store it?
*TLR* *Losi* *Horizon Hobby* *Factory Novak* *Team Trinity/Epic* * JConcepts* *Xcelorin* *Spektrum* *Nitrotec* *Nitrotane* *UpGrade RC* *Toyz4Boyz* * Team Cypress*
Corey Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 05:08 AM   #26
Tech Champion
Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Corey... You've hit upon a MAJOR area of dispute! Everyone seems to use slightly different methods and swears by them. Read my earlier post! Over three months and it is still working fine for my SMHs... but this is buy no means the perfect way... it simply works for ME!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote