R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-14-2007, 04:40 AM   #1
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Default Competition ESC vs Cheapo ESC !!!!!!

For stock 27t class racing & 540 silver can class(in AU)
does it really make a difference to punch & top speed!

ie: having that lower internal resistance and setting the drive freq lower.

is it actually noticible of just in imagination of people that want to claim it is because they spent $$$$$ on a competion ESC.

the reason i ask is because i have a LRP IPC Sport esc at the moment & i race in 540 class & i do prety well, but i want to make the car go a bit harder, & good competion ESC's are so expensive.
Team Durango - Speed Passion - Gens Ace
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
Tech Elite

The biggest difference I find is in throttle feel. Some cheap ESC's have a really dreadful throttle feel, like driving a car through cotton wool.

But some cheap ESC's feel fine in stock classes, I have personally had Tamiya TEU-101BK (in silvercan), budget GM and the old-style LRP runner and they were all 100% driveable in stock/spec classes.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to ford_racing

You will find that in the higher spec ESC's that you will have lower resistance and therefore a slightly higher top speed.

If you are racing at clubs a midrange ESC (around $100) will be fine, however once you start going to the larger events a top of the line ESC will be highly recommended.

The LRP Sport will be fine until you get real serious about your racing
Yokomo YRF001
AE B5m
ford_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

thanks guys, any one else pls your opinions too
Team Durango - Speed Passion - Gens Ace
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You can get used Novak GTXs on here for < $100 (80-90 shipped usually). If it were me I would spend a little extra and try to pick up a used brushless ESC (Novak GTB or LRP Sphere Comp).
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

just to be able to help some newcomers at my track i practiced with an RTR spec TC4 just this thursday... and the LRP Ai budget speedo felt fine. It had less resolution than my QC2 but the overall top speed and driveability were completely acceptable.
Associated // Reedy // Radiopost // XP Digital // Parma PSE // Integy
AM03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Tech Elite

I've tried a LRP Super Sport, a LRP v7.1 and a CS Electronic Rocket Max.

I havent noticed any difference in top end speed - there might be a little, but not much...

However, there's another very important difference: BEC voltage. Sport ESC's usually only deliver 5 volt for your steering servo. The result is a 25% slower steering servo, compared to the 6 volt which is common in most high-end ESC's. A faster steering servo means a much more direct steering. The only exception, is if you're using a servo with a separate power supply wire, which is directly connected to the motor battery.

I also agree with Sosidge - the main difference is in feel. For stock, the 7.1 aint the best - the first part of the throttle move, dont have any effect, since the output is too small. Thus the effective throttle travel is reduced.

What I like about better ESC's, is the adjustability, thus it's easier to adapt to a FEEL of the throttle, that suits YOU and YOUR car. But then again, some of these adjustment, can also be done by the TX. Like initial throttle.

A very nice feature of the Rocket MAX, is that it have a selectable function, where a small amount of power is applied to the motor for a few seconds, after throttle-stick enters neutral. Thus it's easy to take out some of the braking of stock motors, when throttle is in neutral. Also a very nice feature for one-ways

Personally, I find that a good feel of the throttle, makes the car easier to drive. So at my opinion, mid-range to top-end speedos are worth it. But hey, I'm on a budget, so I bought my Rocket Max second hand for less than a brand new LRP Sport
Schumacher Mi5 - Sanwa MT-4 / RX-462 / KO Propo PDS-2123 - Nosram 5600 X-treme Saddle Pack - LRP SPX Zero/X12 17,5 - Nosram Stealth Touch Evolution - MAAS SPS 9250
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote