Wiki Posts
Search

Consider this: sanctioning rules on new batteries

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Consider this: sanctioning rules on new batteries

Ever since I started racing about 9 years ago, Ive seen the battery war go on and on and on!! If you are lucky enough to get some of the best cells out then you will dominate, and if not then you are just average. I gaurantee if you took the voltages away from most of the team drivers that are always in the A-mains and gave them some average Joe stuff then they would struggle horribly!!! Why is is that everytime a good cell comes out (i.e. 3300's and the 3800's) where the battery stays true and gives you something to tune motors, speed controls, etc with they allow a newer cell that no one knows much about to be released and worse yet approved ??! I understand that you cant stop the bigger companies from getting their hands on the new stuff just to make some sales but I think that ROAR and other sanctioning bodies should consider better rules on the release of new batteries! (The ones who push Roar around are the big companies) Just by the time a racer gets his hands on something good they release new stuff!! I know that I can get great batteries from my sponsors and I appreciate that but what about the ones who dont have sponsors? They are forced to spend a sh_tload of cash all year long to keep up. If it is what it is then it is but come on, what the hell do we have sanctioning bodies for?? They dont seam to care about your pocket and apparently from Martin Crisp your health either!! Come on people, lets make racing more fun for everyone or watch it die!!

Digs
Old 03-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

why should we as racers be forced to use 1 certain type of cell? I know what your hinting at as far as the cells thing,,,, but the "cells" have been out for a while. Regardless you shouldn't allow a sanctioning body to pidgeon hole the racers into using any one type of cell. That would be like them telling us we could only use one brand of touring car and or 12th scale.... Which would keep people like yourself who develope good product for us the racer aloud to have people use them at races. Your car is awesome by the way....

But its not like there is a new cell every few weeks Ib has been very good about bringing out new versions of cells and EP and GP the same. This is a democratic country and people like choices. And lets face it there is a national level race about every month in the winter and anyone and everyone who is competitive at these events have brand new batteries for these races.. So unless someone is going to sanction a battery limit to per person per year ( only true way to keep costs down ,, is by not having everyone use new stuff for every race,,,, which will never happen) there is no sense in allowing one type of battery to be used. Everyone is going to use what ever is best within the limits of the rules... This is racing afterall isnt it ?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wallstreet: thanks for the compliment!! Give me a shout if you are interested!

I really mean that the batteries should hang around for like a year before something new is released! I understand your point about limiting the # of packs a racers uses a year, but that wouldnt do anything anyway, the high level racers would get new stuff at big races , they would just play their cards right. They dont have to come out of the pocket either like someone who would be interested in attending a big race for their first time.. Thats why you see the same names most of the time in the top ten, there are other drivers that can run circles around some of the big names but dont have the hook to get there and most likely unless they are real lucky they can never advance!!

Sanctioning batteries would be like how they sanction fuel in real racecars! They all use the same stuff, no top level driver gets any advantage out of it.. It would help allot I think.. Im not saying to keep anyone from their democratic freeness, but rules are made for a reason..

I suppose Im bitchin at a wall (wallstreet, no pun intended )

Digs
Old 03-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Those "Team" guys would still beat you with packs they bought at the race... its not all about voltage.. its mainly driving and setup. At every BIG race I have attended I could buy packs at the event that equalled or were better than my "Team" packs. If they are beating you its because they are better than you
Old 03-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Roar already has a one year rule the last time I checked. It doesn't stop new cells from coming out and people using them at non-sanctioned races. company's sell what people will buy. We live in a free market.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ottoman
Those "Team" guys would still beat you with packs they bought at the race... its not all about voltage.. its mainly driving and setup. At every BIG race I have attended I could buy packs at the event that equalled or were better than my "Team" packs. If they are beating you its because they are better than you

Too funny fatman too bad what you said isnt even close, stay on the subject bro
Old 03-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The team guys aren't fast because they get good packs, they get good packs because they are fast.

ROAR only approves cells once a year for their races. It's the independent promoters that don't stick to that.

Edit: Froboy pretty much said the same thing.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

First of all I started the thread to help us all out, Im not bitching personally Ill still lay it down anyhow, Im just looking out for the hobby in general!!

Froboy: if that is true then that is awesome. I will have to check on that..
Old 03-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Regional Moderator

Yeah, its true. Funny thing is, people will bitch about that rule anytime there's a new cell out.

Opposite of what you are saying.

One reason I'm no longer region director, main reason why I race nitro!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Yep only new cells are approved once a year per ROAR..they have to be submitted by Sept. (I think) to be approved for the next racing year....
Old 03-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I know my cars were soo fast all week, that if I didnt win it was my fault. And dont let anyone tell you that a 1.238 stick cant win. Casue it just did.

This was posted by the Snowbirds Stk. TC winner after the win...so tell him that you have to have the "special" packs to be out front...LOL
Old 03-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Completely clueless....

You fly out to washington with a brand new SMC hobby purschaed 4200WC.......I will give you the pack straight out of travis's car that won nats this weekend, and I guarantee he laps you with the packs you bring.....if he doesn't, I will pay your ticket and give you a $1000 cash.

And while there are guys out there who can do well at the races, if they came and did well and put forth the effort, they would get the top packs too.

As a major motor/battery company, I can tell you, with the new IB stuff for over the last year or so, the customer and team stuff isn't a very big difference, if any at all.....I am often able to sell packs to customers with the same numbers.....

As for putting rules on it, what we have in place right now, still isn't working. Our batteries are stolen tech.....they are made for drills or whatever. These companies will continue to improve their product for those industries and we just get to pirate them......

What happens when you start making rules slowing technology to a halt is that the local tracks and bashers will ignore it.....they will say screw ROAR or IFMAR.....the non sanctioned big races (which are bigger anyways) will allow them.....so basically, all that ends up happening is ROAR race attendance suffers....then membership suffers.....yay! good job!

Just ask my region and other regions whenthe 3800 were the max, but everyone had 4200 cells......multiple regional events were failures, cause nobody had or wanted to buy old packs...

And really, the IB4200 has been out for over a year.....while they have updated it some, the WC version has been out for 6 months....and there is nothing new on the horizon at this point....

If you want a cheap hobby, try rock paper scissors....they even have world championships.

Later EddieO
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Regional Moderator

paper!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Eddie O...taking it up a notch.

Several years ago a driver won the 1/12 class at Cleveland. He bought his battery pack at the race!

Its not the battery, motor, and so on. Its practice and skill.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

http://www.worldrps.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.