Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Short Circuited Motor??? >

Short Circuited Motor???

Short Circuited Motor???

Old 03-29-2003, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Short Circuited Motor???

Racers, need your knowledgable experience on Electric Motors. I had this problem recently, dunno what caused it but my motor can only last me 1 pack and then the comm will be really rough. Initially I thought it was the ESC, so I changed to a new one but the problem still persists. My friend told me that my comm was short circuited, so can you guys tell me what was the real problem or things that I should look out for. The comm shown in the pic is after 1 pack of batt.
Attached Thumbnails Short Circuited Motor???-comm.jpg  
Old 03-29-2003, 11:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Cut it, carefully run an xacto down the com slots to clean them out, throw in new brushes, and run it. I might just be way overgeared and burning it up too... If none of that works, just buy a new one and use the old one as a paperweight.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Default comm was short circuited

ART2;

Sounds like it's time for a rebuild.
Disassemble the Motor and have the Com trued/cut. If the Brushes look Purplish, replace them too.
Proper Gearing is crucial to Motor performance and life. Make sure that you have the correct gear ratio for your application and usage.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Short Circuited Motor???

Originally posted by ART2
Racers, need your knowledgable experience on Electric Motors. I had this problem recently, dunno what caused it but my motor can only last me 1 pack and then the comm will be really rough. Initially I thought it was the ESC, so I changed to a new one but the problem still persists. My friend told me that my comm was short circuited, so can you guys tell me what was the real problem or things that I should look out for. The comm shown in the pic is after 1 pack of batt.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
DONT EVER POST THAT AGIAN

looks like something I saw in a nightmare

seriously now overheated yes. and may be cheap brushes. Cut the com and get some high quality brushes. try grearing down also. what turn is that arm sure aint no stocker?????
Old 03-29-2003, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

looks like its overgeared or timing is off somewhere. cut the comm, run an exacto down the slots, use a ball point pen to roll down the slots, put new brushes in, break them in at 0 deg. timing, check gear ratio, then mess with the timing.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

How many turns does it got?
Old 03-29-2003, 03:01 PM
Tech Initiate

I just experienced the same thing!!! So I replaced the brushes, trued the comm, aligned the hoods...but one problem...I forgot to mark the original timing marks!!! So what part of the endbell do I align with the timing marks on the can????----its a 12x2 by the way.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

What car do you run, what gear ratio? what surface do you run on and is it a big or small track?
Old 03-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Racers, thanks for all your advice. However I've done everything that you all have posted. The comm in the pic is freshly trued with a diamond bit and I've cleared everything in the slots using a sharp blade and then later blast it with motor spray. The brushes are new Reedy serreted modified brushes, and I've run in the motor at zero degree timing. I'm running a 414M chassis and the motor is Team Atlas Excel S 12 x 2 with final gear ratio of 8.2 and track size is small and technical with tarmac road surface. I've done everything I can, even changed to a new ESC. This is burning quite a hole in my pocket, pls help
Old 03-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

The only thing I've not done is align the brush hood...but it should not have caused this right?
Old 03-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by ART2
The only thing I've not done is align the brush hood...but it should not have caused this right?
if you have tryed everything we have suggested then there is only one alternative. can the motor and get a new one. i would have done that before a new esc unless it was a lowwer end type ofcourse
Old 03-29-2003, 11:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This is burning quite a hole in my pocket

you can sell one of the ec or exchange it for a comm lathe and brushes .
Old 03-30-2003, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

USE A HIGHER GEAR RATIO!!!!!! SMALLER PINION BIGGER SPUR!!!

If you are burning comms on one run it is the gearing.

You may also want to use softer brushes, and stiffer springs to gain some torque if you presist to use a lower ratio..

Also check your drivetrain to see if all is spining freely!

BTW: replace the arm and brushes..... once you smoke a comm and brushes it will never be the same agian!!

Sorry for the really big leters, but you didn't seem to see them when others posted the same thing only normal sized.......LOL
Old 03-30-2003, 08:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks again for all your input. Well here's the whole picture, before anything happens, the motor was running fine. I was running on a 96 spur and 25 pinion, my ESC before was CS Electronic Rocket 2000 and my car is Tamiya 414M, I've used various type of motor, Orion Chrome Mod, Pro BB, Tamiya Type T and Atlas Excel S. And then suddenly, my motor starts to burnt for no reason at all, I've installed new motors and still it burnt. I was told that it was the ESC, so I changed it to a new Futaba MC800C, but it did not solved the problem. I would not think that it was my gear ratio cause I was running the same ratio all the while, I've check my drivetrain and it was smooth and my diff are not slipping. Then I thought it was my ESC capaciter, I've changed it too but it's still the same. But does a faulty motor diode leads to the problem as well? I've asked local racers, but still they can't solved the problem. Or I'm blessed for purchasing faulty motors .
Old 03-30-2003, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

All of those motors are 12x2??? Remember each motor is different which means they may need different gearing, and whenever the track layout changes usually you need to adjust gearing also.

There is no perfect gearing for any motor that works on every track...........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.