Wiki Posts
Search

HELP! wearing armature shaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmccormick
one more thing is how tight are you running your belt?? I ran a Fk05 with no issues but have been told that a tight belt will cause this to. One other thing to check on the 05 is the shaft bearings for the spur gear along with the entire drive train its funny but a bad bearing can cause the motor to wear out bushings because of the excess torque required to move the gears etc if there is resistance on the drive train at all the spur gear wont want to move easily and the pinion will try to climb the gear to counter act the force of the motor turning and of course there is no give as the motor is solidly bolted and the bushings and shaft take the full force of this reaction...
I have considered the shaft bearings and replaced with new ones.
Im not to sure how tight is tight or how lose is lose though its not looses enough to skip, the belts dont seem to be overly tight, I have never adjusted the belts since I bought it over a year ago.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

May I ask you to try something?

Keep motor in the car, remove spur gear, attach a pinion to motor, and just run it at full throttle w/ a fan blowing on it for cooling. go through maybe 1 set of brushes this way. (i know its going to kill ur comm.) but u can find out for sure is the motor or the car.

See if there is any strange, uneven wear. if there is, new motor, just get a new motor... if it isn't then continue to trouble shoot ur car.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Tech Addict

After I re read your post it looks like you are only replacing the armature have you tried replacing the whole motor just curious. if not that would be my next step....
Old 03-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeh dude, Im replacing the whole thing.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cristian Silva
Yeh dude, Im replacing the whole thing.
There must be something wrong with your drivetrain, something binding under load, like one or more bearings having died. Sometimes if the crown keeping the balls in the bearings gets destroyed (in some bearings it's a plastic crown), the balls won't be evenly spaced anymore and although the bearing looks fine when you spin it, it'll completely seize under any load.

If I were you i'd replace all the bearings, just to make sure. Go on Ebay and do a search for Walawala store, they do uber cheap bearings...
Old 03-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks but Ive found nothing in the ebay store under "Walawala store"
If Im going to have to replace the bearings I'll be after some good ones rather than cheap. should I go for the metal bearings or is ceramic bearings that much better? which are the good bearings, hopefully this may fix my shaft wearing issue.
Thankyou.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

While ceramic certainly are considered the better bearing the regular metal shielded bearings are fine and are less expensive try getting ahold of either Boca vearings or acer very good qaulity bearings both ceramic and metal shieded.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

It doesn't have anything to do with the car.

You have a mis-aligned bushing. Mabye the whole can is bad, so the bushing is putting pressure ont the shaft because its at an angle.

That, and once this has happened, I wouldn't put a new armature back in it because the bushing is probably damaged.

This probably rubbed the bushing so bad it doesn't work like a bushing anymore. This is why I don't "Polish" bushings, because the result of a "nice finish" is from rubbing. Its acctually called Burnishing, and it basically is material that is smeared so it looks shiny. But, it doesn't allow a bushing to do what its supposed to do, even if you put oil on it.

Just get a new motor.

If it happenes again, I would think you would know somethings up because you car should be pretty slow with that kind of rubbing going on.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

he has tried new motors I already asked that question.............
Old 03-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PitCrew
It doesn't have anything to do with the car.

You have a mis-aligned bushing. Mabye the whole can is bad, so the bushing is putting pressure ont the shaft because its at an angle.

That, and once this has happened, I wouldn't put a new armature back in it because the bushing is probably damaged.

This probably rubbed the bushing so bad it doesn't work like a bushing anymore. This is why I don't "Polish" bushings, because the result of a "nice finish" is from rubbing. Its acctually called Burnishing, and it basically is material that is smeared so it looks shiny. But, it doesn't allow a bushing to do what its supposed to do, even if you put oil on it.

Just get a new motor.

If it happenes again, I would think you would know somethings up because you car should be pretty slow with that kind of rubbing going on.
Yeh Pitcrew, thanks for the input but it doesn't seem you have read my full post.