Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default newbie

hi people.

im into real cars alot and for years ive had a team associated TC3 with a few sets of wheels and tryes and a Peak racing Hellfire motor.

if i was going to get into racing this thing where would i start to upgrade?

The cars basicaly brand new

thanks, Matt
Old 03-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You may want to start at your local track or hobby shop? And decide what racing most likely stock. And I would ask about Brushless motors And Lipo batteries. And go from there.

Go fast and try not to crash!
Old 03-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

FYI...you only need one thread for this
Old 03-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Tech Rookie

cheers mate im off down there tomorrow
Old 03-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by pokerville
cheers mate im off down there tomorrow
Once you get a direction come back then we can unleash more info than you will be able to handle.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Rookie

also is my car a good car to start with or is it old now?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I still race it and do pretty well. It's a bit fragile in places (A-arms) but it's very fast in the correct hands. It'll be a decent car for you to learn, there's a host of setups for it on the rc10.com site and you can get spares very cheap on ebay.

One thing I would tell any new starter is: Don't go too quick straight away. Put a slow motor in and get used to your local track. Practice at slow speeds is valuable. It'll stop you breaking your car (and competitors!) and give you a feel for racing. Many new starters fall into the trap of wanting to go too quickly too soon. It's often to their detriment.

Good luck, it's a very enjoyable hobby full of many welcoming and helpful indviduals, if you're ever confused about anything don't be scared to ask someone at the track, in your local store or on here. I normally find that most people will go out of their way to help.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by daveaustin5
I still race it and do pretty well. It's a bit fragile in places (A-arms) but it's very fast in the correct hands. It'll be a decent car for you to learn, there's a host of setups for it on the rc10.com site and you can get spares very cheap on ebay.

One thing I would tell any new starter is: Don't go too quick straight away. Put a slow motor in and get used to your local track. Practice at slow speeds is valuable. It'll stop you breaking your car (and competitors!) and give you a feel for racing. Many new starters fall into the trap of wanting to go too quickly too soon. It's often to their detriment.

Good luck, it's a very enjoyable hobby full of many welcoming and helpful indviduals, if you're ever confused about anything don't be scared to ask someone at the track, in your local store or on here. I normally find that most people will go out of their way to help.
Very well put and great advise. And I will add there are no stupid questions.
Questions help us all learn and keep are knowledge sharp. Sense I've been on the Tech I've learned a lot of stuff that I never even thought to ask at the track. Read you later.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:17 AM
Tech Adept

this is where someone tells you to buy an X-Ray
Old 03-12-2007, 05:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wayne1one
this is where someone tells you to buy an X-Ray

you are soooo right
Old 03-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help guys! My local track will be Aldershot do any of you lot race there? I will be going there soon to have a little practice.

just to follow on I have been told the *LRP runner* speed controller I got with RTR package is rubbish. Would this make a good upgrade for ₤20?

Thanks again

Old 03-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Another UK racer, cool.

I've raced at Aldershot a couple of times (at national events). It's a good track. Website: www.aldershotmodelcarclub.net

It's a fast flowing track and a good one to practice your skills.

That speed controller isn't the best to be honest. Little better than the one you have fitted. If I was you, I'd get used to the equipment you have. After a couple of races you'll have a pretty good idea of what you need to upgrade.

If you're looking for a budget speed controller I'd point you here: Here. It's a good speedo, has ABS breaks, reverse (most racers don't use this) and it's easy to setup. Not bad for £36 new.

I hope you enjoy your car. If you have any more questions just ask and I'll try to help as much as possible.