R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Newby(robot builder): Best tires for carpet?

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum... Last year I built a robot-car for a University competition (http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/natcar/) based on a 1/10 chassis and a Graupner electric motor. The robot-car was to run on a carpet track, so I got some of the "white" code Trinity foam tires for carpet (supposedly the softest).
But in the actual competition some other guys used some type of "wavy ~~~" treaded rubber tires, and had a heck of a lot more grip than I did, totally kicking my back...

I was wondering, has any of you guys seen this type of wavy tread tire, or know anything better than the Trinity foam tires?

Also, the competition allows any tire, as long as it is stock; so I was wondering if one of those 'spiky' truck tires would do well in carpet??

Thanks all!
volkswagenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Soft tires like double pinks give great traction on carpet. As they generally don't allow spike tires on carpet racing, that's not really a well developed area of knowledge. I do know that with cheap, hard, spiked tires on level loop carpet, like a berber, my buggy will do a wheelie for a good length of the basement, so they may be onto something with a treaded rubber tire. The tires had cleats, similar to a rugby cleat with a real point on the end. Not soft, like a taper pin tire. Really a lousy tire, but works for pure traction on carpet.

Last edited by Iceracer; 03-09-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
Tech Elite

'Wavy' looking tyres tend to be wet tyres, which can be quite soft, there are also Schumacher Carpet Dragons, you may find the one ot the bottom best (mini-pins) but it may damage the carpet if lots of people use it ove a long period;

Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:32 AM   #4
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I wonder if he had the softest compound if he used any paragon in them or any traction compound? The competition may have treated there tires.
UN4RACING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what about some 1/10 nikko slicks? i've got the 1/14 ones and they work perfect on anything flat, as theyre relly grippy. you could also try the radials, or even blocks. use the nikko website to have a look. theyre about a tenner (english money)
joe of loath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Tech Adept

What have you used for base chassis? Tyres are only a small part of the traction game and where are you losing traction - steering or rear
ShrekNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It really depends on what type of carpet you are running on. My guess is it is not ozite, rather the generic industrial carpeting used in about every public building that has carpet. On that type of carpet you most likely would get much better traction from a really hard tire with a very small pin.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

WOW, thank you very much guys, this forum really moves! ....... \[_]\

Well, the funny thing is that all my testing was done on regular 'loop' carpet, and I managed to get an average of 9.1 feet per second (150 feet test track), but in the competition, they had a velvety type of carpet (no loop), and my car was literally all over the place...and could barelly manage 8.4 feet/sec. (the winners did 9.8)

The setup of the car is made to be a bit 'loose' because of the nature of the competition (the robot follows a track, and you 're better off sliding the tail than pushing the front and loosing sight of the track); but at least the front/rear balance stays consistent.

Another factor is that I made the car really light, with carbon and all the fancy stuff so that my battery would last longer (I have a bunch of electronics going on); but it seems lighter is not better in carpet because you don't 'dig'...

Also, I didn't do any treatment on the tires, and I don't think the other guys did since their tires were plain rubber, as opposed to foam.(?)

anyway, I guess I'll have to purchase a couple of the tires you guys recommend here and try them out..

-Thanks again for now
volkswagenb is offline   Reply With Quote