R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-05-2007, 02:10 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mattnin
It is usually the rule that if you wreck into someone or if someone wrecks into you, it is your fault. Sorry, but that is the way it is. Just don't wreck. Ever.
yeah right so your saying if i'm going along on line on pace and someone skips over a lane into the side of me it's my fault
Don't wreck ever come on dude get real even the worlds best wreck every once in a while, if you don't wreck how do you know 1, your limits and 2, the cars limits ???
Boosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #32
Tech Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to dogenia Send a message via Yahoo to dogenia
Default wrecking and me

Everybody wrecks in his or her racetime. It's all about how you bounce back.
Xray T2 in 19 turn spec class, Novak GTX, Sanwa M8
dogenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #33
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
Wow someone got rubbed the wrong way and is a little bitter now.

That is a horrible generalization. Not every carpet race is like that.
I've been to many foam races and every one of them are the same (lots of angry drivers and broken cars). The cars are getting way to fast and specialized for 99% of the racers. Heck, between Cleveland, Novak, and Snowbirds I don't think more than 7 cars finished any of the A-mains

Short story from the Birds and Novak Race;

Average Joe racer approaches an Xray team driver to ask what setup he is running, team drivers tells him. Joe racer says wow, that's the same setup I'm running per the website (team driver setups) and the car is horrible. Team driver asked to see the car and Joe racer shows him, holy crap the team driver says, your tires are WAY to big! He tells joe racer his car will never work with tires that big and you must tru your wrap tires to 56.5mm (one run tires). Joe racer tells him that his budget won't allow him to run new tires every run, team drivers tells him sorry but that is the only way that setup will work.

Joe racer not happy walks to sign-up and switches to rubber tire class and sells the rest of his foams. He buys 1 set of rubber tires for $30 and proceeds to run the entire event.

Rubber tires are coming back!
sliprip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #34
Tech Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to dogenia Send a message via Yahoo to dogenia
Default Traction compound

Pass me the Paragon.
Xray T2 in 19 turn spec class, Novak GTX, Sanwa M8
dogenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #35
Tech Regular

A very interesting topic for me cause I'm a beginner and I'll race my maiden Tamiya Asia Cup Qualifying round in 2 weeks time. I've been bashing/practice for quite some time and initially I'm being bully by the fast guys as well. All these are driving lessons to me and gradually I improve my driving skills and eventually get the right setup for the track. I always practice with my sparring partner to learn how to overtake cleanly. I think it's all about attitute. Some drivers are ruthless and want to win at all cause like Senna crash into Prost to secure the driver Championship. These are the people who will "kill" the hobby. But it's really difficult to tell in RC. Many times I bump into others unintentionally as well. So, I think it's all about sportmanship in oneself. Win with clean tactics and you can be proud of. Win with dirty tactics and you've nothing to shout about.
Benny Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #36
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I try to be extra nice to new people that bump into me, because they almost always feel bad about it, and I don't want them to get discouraged. It's a pleasure to see new faces, even if it means having to dodge them sometimes. It wasn't that long ago that I was in their shoes.

A while back, a guy I'd never seen before came to race with us (he was clearly a noob) and ended up stepping on my car in the main trying to marshal someone else, and smashed it pretty good. I knew he felt horrible, so I tried to do everything I could to make the guy feel better about it, and joked with him, and I think put him at ease. I was really disappointed to see that he never showed up again, I hope it wasn't because of that incident.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #37
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I could write a book on track conduct and standard operating procedure, and from some of the post so could some others.
I remember one night syndrome and I got in to a crash and we both were yelling OOPS! sorry. And I took off yelling come and get it big boy. Thats how it is, just brush it off and forget about it. Club racing is about practice racing with friends and learning and teaching and experimenting with different set ups and trying odd stuff. All at the cost of winning or even losing. Its not about the thrill of winning the race. Its about the thrill of just racing. It can get to serious at times and it sounds like you were in a serious race of some sort. I hope you don't give up and get into a class that works for ya. Being in the crash fest class is the only way to pay the dues so to speak it will make you or brake you. Thats part of learning respect for where you started and where you end up. The worst and most enduring part of R/C racing is beginning. Once you make it past that your on your way to some very fun racing. Club racing as a group is supposed to make you and your fellow racers ready for the big races and the rival races against other tracks in the surrounding areas. Unfortunately some times its more like we're racing for a living and the win is the paycheck. Any how just trying to hit all the areas of R/C racing. So one racer to another? GO FAST AND TRY NOT TO CRASH!
Keep us informed of your progress if you would please? Later. As you can read we care.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:03 AM   #38
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by or8ital
There is some truth to it. Carpet tracks are generally smaller so there are more opportunities for a beginner to get tied up with the fast racers due to the smaller lanes and more laps.

Yes, the smaller the venue the closer the racing can be, which has good and bad points attached to it.

Another option is to go elsewhere if its not too far, somewhere that has a wider track?
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #39
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't feel bad man. All you can do is try your best. Hobby enthusiast and track owners alike are all begging for new faces to show up and partipate in the hobby. Keep practicing as much as possible and eventually you will lay the smack down on the same people that are frustrating you now. However, something needs to be said for the guys who are mowing into you. If those other racers are that solid, then they can drive around you. I know this because this past weekend I raced with a group of very fast racers at Bending Corners Raceway, Orange, CA. I WAS SLOWER AND IN THE WAY AND I KNEW THIS TO BE TRUE. The other racers were really cool though. I would give the faster guys the track when I was able to do so but there were a few times when I didn't see anyone coming. On those occassions, they snuck right past me. No harm done. The track owner should say something about the behavior of the other racers because it is not cool. You have a right (just like them) to enjoy the facility just like you. If they cannot get enough people of similar ability to make a class then they will just have to deal with you.

BTW, I too have been on both sides of the spektrum. When I was in Ohio I raced at a small track, Springfield Hobby Shop. I was one of the better (not the best/fastest) racers there. I learned to get around people while racing so I know it can be done. Just like you don't want your car messed up, I didn't want my car messed up either. Now that I live in Southern California, it seems like everyone is fast so it's like I'm starting all over. It is my opinion that some people take this hobby very serious (too serious). Anyway, take care and good luck.

llamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #40
Regional Moderator
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Advice?

Try pitting near the faster guys. They know you're new, and hopefully will lend advice, setups, equipment, whatever. Ask a ton of questions, most racers love to BS. When trying to let someone by, don't let off the throttle completely, they'll definitely rear end you, and communicate on the stand..."Number 4, I'm going wide on the next turn!" Let them know your intentions. Afterwards, don't expect an apology, but if you hit someone, let them know it was unintentional and you're trying to improve, most tracks have practice days where you can get out there and realx without fear of being in the way. I'm not a fast driver..at big events I get lapped, and at club races, sometimes can get out front, so have seen both aspects. My first race after a break, my setup wasn't good and I spun at the end of the straight...one second later here comes a mod guy WFO and just pummels my car, then starts yelling at me for not giving a warning. Everyone's initial reaction to being screamed at is defensive, but I really wanted to shut him up in a not so nice way. Racing can be a rewarding experience, but if there's not a beginners class, it can also be frustrating. Try not to take it personal, there are jerks in every aspect of life.
"They may be toy cars, but I spend REAL money to race them!"- Racer X
"It's only a big deal if you make it one."
Mark Mixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #41
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

Well said Mark!!.................... Very good points. Always remember, your always going to have another run in the day. I race announce where I run and I try to help the faster Guys on the mic about traffic and remind people that they are racing against the clock and not against eachother............ That comes later in the Mains.

Very good point to always ask questions and learn everything you can so that you don't make the same mistakes. Take in what you can and don't overdo anything............. Remember some of these Guys have been doing it a long time. Pace yourself and practice, practice and practice.

............And for those reading this, don't get discouraged. Keep at it. This is a great hobby. You spent the money already. Commit yourself on your race program. Believe me, there are people who want to help and have you suceed. Because when you do good, that's another good racer on the track to compete against.

We were all there before, some of us have just forgotten.

............. Keep the faith Amigo!!.............. And Happy Racing!!
Alex Valdes

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #42
Tech Champion

Realize a few things here...first the vast majority of the drivers out there don't intend to hit you...second the vast majority of drivers accept that as just part of racing. We aren't in these cars feeling every little thing they are doing so often accidents happen because of the unpredictable. Don't expect an appology on the stand or off because on the stand people are concentrating and for them to say something can throw off their rythym(sp), off the stand they've probably been in too many accidents and things happen to fast to notice everyone they bumped and go around appologizing.

One of the things I learned from the faster drivers when I first started racing was often it is easier for them to get around you if you hold your line. If you try and get out of their way and over react you can take both drivers out. If you can get out of the way without interrupting the flow then great...if not your better off holding the line.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #43
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy

i think the rule on the track is let the fast car pass.

i have race a couple of times (since school is always my priority) and everytime i race i slow down or move to the side if a fast car is comming. in that way they cant hit me and to gain respect, im pretty sure the know the color of the car who always giveway and they will thank you and help you out after the race.. rather than blocking them, and slow them with there lap time,which aint good for them , then they will get pissed. just work your way up. slowly without those fast guys you dont have anybody to ask for help(which is essential for improvment)
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #44
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

1. race organiser needs to impose drive through penalties
2. racers need to TALK to each other on the driverís stand. If you are being lapped, perhaps u need to yell out to the faster guy when and which line you will take to let him through.
YOKObori MOkei
wyl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #45
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182

This is an interesting topic in our sport. We've found that with all new drivers, taking the time to get to know them, and explaining some of the racing etiquette to them as they start learning, goes a long way to giving them an understanding about what happens during a race. We cant just expect a new driver to understand that he should take a corner wide as soon as a lapping car approaches. Id prefer to explain it to them, so they dont get frustrated when the faster guy knocks them off. We've taken the time to explain these things to the new guys as soon as they start driving. It seemed to really help. We've also clamped down (somewhat) on over agressive driving. We still have a few instances (me included) where a faster guy comes up on a slower car wayyy too fast and a crash occures. One rule we have been trying to enforce throughout this year, is if there is any crash, the car behind is always at fault. Only pass is a clean pass, that goes for lapping and position passing. Therefore, at any crash, the guy who was trying to pass, has to let the other car go. We also explained that its then up to the guy who is about to be passed, to give AMPLE space for the car behind to pass them straight away. Its like a give and take idea, and seems to work very well. We still have a few occasions where it could be a bit better, but compared to the season before..... its no longer bump and run.

Hell, at the last big meet we had around here, one of the local guys and myself were both on a TQ pace in the last qually. He caught up to my back bumper, and i let him go in the next corner. Better that, than he take me out trying to pass me. About 2 laps later, i caught him back up again, and I said to him, go or let me go, and he moved over and let me past. I scored my best run that run, all because we both worked together, not against each other. We both walked off the stand, thanked each other, and really appreciated the give and take. I guess with the closeness of the racing, the high level of competition we all have at these race meets, its not wonder we can forget we are playing with little toy cars, usually not for any prize money, and usually for a small plaque or a small bowling trophy. I often forget that i race for fun lol.

As for what Jason B wrote, it really made me think. I get frustrated way too easily in this sport. I race full size cars in the summer, and i dont feel anywhere near the frustration. Wonder if i need a year or so off to regain some composure. I do know that spending more time helping the new guys and the club gave me a better appreciation for the sport. Less time for me to worry about racing
Aaron "AJ" Freind
axle182 is offline   Reply With Quote