R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Pinion Pitch? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/15227-pinion-pitch.html)

KevanB 03-24-2003 10:41 AM

Pinion Pitch?

What exaclty does the pinion pitch account for when buying a pinion? Arent they all the same, but with different teeth amounts?

OVA 03-24-2003 11:19 AM

Are you talking about OFF Road or ON Road car?
There're three different pitch gear one is 48,64,and BK32pitch gear..No matter what the number of teeth from pinnion or spur gear,as long the pitch are the same goes together Good luck

Grizzbob 03-24-2003 12:27 PM

Actually, BK pitch is more like 56 pitch(halfway between 48 & 64 pitch). Pitch simply refers to the size of the teeth, & it refers to how many teeth will fit in a specific diameter gear(in other words, a 64 tooth gear in 64 pitch should be the same diameter as a 48 tooth gear of 48 pitch). The reason why we have different pitches available is that many like having 64 pitch because changing a pinion by one tooth makes a smaller difference in gear ratio than going one tooth in 48 or 56 or 32, so you have finer control over your final drive ratio. But the drawback is that 64 pitch is easier to strip than the other(because of the smaller, finer teeth), so they're not very well suited for rough tracks(like offroad & some outdoor onroad). For that, we have the other pitches, 48's been around the longest & works quite well, & more recently Trinity brought about 56 pitch to try to make a compromise between them....:cool:

sosidge 03-25-2003 04:05 AM

Don't forget the metric pitches - 0.4, 0.6, 0.8.

Kdonks 03-25-2003 11:13 AM

in america "pitch" is number of teeth per inch. 48 pitch is 48 teeth per linear inch. In eurpoe and japan metric "pitch" refers to I think cm per tooth. Tamiya 0.6 means 0.6cm between teeth. It may be mm, I'm not sure. As you can see, things are backwards in europe.

Iso Octane 03-25-2003 03:31 PM

Or rather things are different in the U.S... metric is the standard for measurements.:nod:

traxxasdude 03-26-2003 04:43 PM

You need the same pitch on both gears or else they won't mesh.

andrew5 03-27-2003 01:24 PM

witch pitch is better

Grizzbob 03-27-2003 07:08 PM

Honestly, none are really better, but some are better suited to a particular situation. If you run offroad, or on a rough track & deal with a lot of collisions, then 64 pitch is likely not the best thing to use(they'd strip pretty often in those conditions), so I'd go with 48 pitch. But on a smooth onroad track, I prefer the added gearing options that 64 pitch gives me(because going up 1 tooth in pinion makes a smaller change than doing that in 48 pitch). Also, if you use 64 pitch, it's also more important to make SURE your gear mesh is just right, or the gears will wear & strip more quickly....:cool: