R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Cool Drift Setup help for Fun and track ..

Hi All, I just got an older Ofna ob4 Pro, I rebuilt it and everything looks good but I wanted to convert it to a drift car so I can practice sideway's racing and maybe do better at the track with the real toy's. Anyways my ?'s are how to make this car a drifter and what would be a good set-up ? I got the Treaded Type D tires already but I think theres alot more I can do to really make this car drift any help would be great cause the guy's and gal's at the local track can't drift a turn just spin out most of the time and cause havoc, but I think this would be a great driving skill to learn and a advantage for me to learn thats my reasoning anyhow...

One besides tires should i get a oneway Diff just in front or both back and front or run what I got ?

Two I'm running a Trinity PSK Pro 27 in it and a LRp:IPC sport ESC just spares but it works.

Three chass set up ? I run paved oval at the moment but I was also going to join the dirt Nitro oval after I get the drifting down pat with a RC10 GT.

I'm Also running a bone stock radio futaba Magnum sport system.

Any help would be great never drifted before but I think this would make a fun car to practice a skill with..

Thank ahead of time great forum.

AKA Ledsleds
Pic of the car below...
Attached Thumbnails
Drift Setup help for Fun and track ..-car2.jpg  
Ledsleds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

you can try using 2" ABS piping instead of the actual drift tires. often the actual drift tires are too grippy and the drifts aren't as sideways as they could be. if you can't find ABS piping, then you can use 2" PVC piping, though theres WAAAY less grip with PVC piping than there is with ABS. to get the piping on, just push really hard and it'll fit on. don't sand down the wheel and i don't glue them on either so that i don't have to get new wheels everytime i need a new set of tires. if the piping is too lose, then wrap the wheel with some electrical tape or something to make the diameter abit bigger.
as for a setup i'd just go zero camber and caster, and zero toe, then after a week or a month of trying that setup, you could try changing the toe to see if it makes any difference to you. most important thing is just to have the suspension settings equal on both sides.
if youre running ball diffs just tighten them up. if its an open diff then lock it by stuffing the pumpkin(or whatever its called) with something like stickytac. you don't really need a front one-way. some people like it some people don't. it just makes it really easy to get your car sideways, but it also makes it really easy to just spin out. if you put a one-way in both the front and back of your car, then you'd basically have no brakes, and you wouldn't want that.
you don't need a good transmitter for drifting. i just use a futaba attack 2dr, which is pretty basic.
for a motor and esc, you can go basic here too. a good 27t will be plenty enough if you're using ABS piping. drifting isn't about speed, and what's important in drifting motorwise is torque.
SSJChar is offline   Reply With Quote