R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Maxamp 6000mah Experience??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/151978-maxamp-6000mah-experience.html)

chumanji 02-28-2007 11:35 PM

Maxamp 6000mah Experience???

Can anyone with the Maxamp 6000mah lipo battery share there experience of it. I am thinking of getting one of these. How is it compare to the Orion Lipos. Why is it so much cheaper for such a high capacity lipo?

xtaiji 03-01-2007 05:01 AM

I have ordered one. Not yet use. ;)

steve a. 03-01-2007 05:30 AM

They are so much cheaper b/c they don't have the haard case and i think they used different cells.

sportpak 03-01-2007 05:48 AM

I had good luck with my 6000. I didn't like how the wires came out of the side or the fact that the battery doesn't have a hardshell case. But in all it was a cool battery and sealed the deal for me to commit to lipo. I'm now in the change over process. It's neat to discharge a battery at 20amps, then throw it on a charger @ 6amps at peak the battery was around 85 degrees F. It's a whole new world out there now and I love it.

jackh 03-01-2007 02:13 PM

What charger do you use for these batteries? Any preference one over another? :weird:

chumanji 03-01-2007 04:32 PM

I current have a mulitplex LN5014 charger. It says it will take 1-5 lipo cell. Is this a good charger for it?

http://www.multiplexusa.com/product_fs.htm

sportpak 03-01-2007 05:24 PM

I used the Duratrax ICE. Works good for everything I do. I don't know anything about that other charger.

Drewdc90 03-01-2007 09:31 PM

I've had one for about 6 months now but have recently ran into some problems. A few meetings ago after a race I noticed the pack had swelled up, I didn't notice any drop off during the race. I was running a novak 3.5 and have been running since I got the pack. After about 10 mins the swelling went down. I tried charging it and I charged fine but I can't run a mod motor on it. My Dad now runs it in 19 turn without any hassles. I had a similar problem with a maxamps 4000 but I was running a novak 4.5 on it.
They're great packs you just can't run mod motors on them.

mattnin 03-02-2007 05:50 AM

Maybe you ran into problems because the novak GTB does not have LIPO voltage cutoff protection built into their ESCs. Even if the LIPO is fully charged, the Novak GTB can draw so much juice from the LIPO that the voltage will drop below the cutoff voltage thereby causing damage to the battery.

I have been using a maxamps 4400 mah saddle pack lipo for almost a year now racing with a novak 5.5r, but I used a LVC for lipos. I am now using the same saddle pack with a mamba 7700kv that has lipo protection. I am using the same battery racing weekly, sometimes bi-weekly in up to 3 heats and one main.

Lonestar 03-02-2007 06:40 AM

are we talking about shell-less packs here??? Good luck, guys... :eek:

sportpak 03-02-2007 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lonestar
are we talking about shell-less packs here??? Good luck, guys... :eek:

After having one, I feel the same way. They're great batteries, but the wires are a pain and the soft packaging makes them high risk. Especially hanging off the side of a carbon fiber chassis touring car.

TheTurtleMan 03-02-2007 07:28 AM

You don't need the hard case. Waist of money. Believe me, if the batt ever exploded, that case would not do anything. Lipos are VERY safe. It takes allot to make these batts catch fire. Maxamps took one of there 6000's and hooked it to an ice charger and tried to blow it up. There was nothing they could do w/ that charger to make it go. Not on any setting. They finally hooked it up to a 12v real car batt charger. It still took a long time before it went. You would totally know something was wrong. They smoke for a while and swell up huge before they blow. And yes they do catch fire. But I can also tell you that over the year I have seen many nimh batts blow up as well.

Drewdc90, you have had to over discharged you batt to make it do that. You don't need the voltage cut off, but you do need to stop driving when it dumps. I can go 30min easy w/ my 2mod, or mod trk w/ the maxamps 6000. And I can usually go for 20min w/ my 4mod. I try not to let it dump though. Another good idea to get is a cell balancer. The new cellpro is the one I like. I usually charge the batts on my ice, and the balance on the cell pro every time. The cellpro charger also has a cool 50% storage charge mode. I have also been doing that now. Do not leave them dead, or I also don't think its good on them to leave them full. This may sound like a lot of work, but honesty's its easy. I don't ever have any plans to go back to nimh packs, or brushed motors. Racing is soooo much easier now. No batts to discharge, no motors to turn, no brushes to buy. Now I can get done racing throw the car on the table, and just charge another batt. Much more time to BS w/ my friends. Any sorry for the rambling. But once you go lipo, you will not go back. :nod:

Lano 03-02-2007 07:32 AM

Check out this thread:

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149560

These guys have been running lipos w/o hard cases for several years in off-road. If they can take that kind of abuse they should certainly be o.k. in a TC.

sportpak 03-02-2007 08:07 AM

I ran one in my TA05 and took a shot in the side one time and it dented the battery. I cycled it and it ran OK afterward, but that stuff makes you think.

shaggys40oz 03-02-2007 10:05 AM

I am going to pick up 2 of the Maxamps 6000 Lipos from my track tonight along with the Hyperion OES1210i charger and the Hyperion LBA10 balancer. I was told by a few poeple at my track that the Hyperion gear is some of the best, and many racers at my track also use the Maxamps Lipos and they really like em. ONce I get some track time with the new gear I will post my opinions, but I was sold on the maxamps lipos just because of the good things i heard around the pits.