Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BATTERIES HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BATTERIES HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi you lot, i need some help, ive got matched orion 3700mah cells and they never seem to be giving me the punch every elses at my club does i think there is something wrong with them!!!

ive go a PRO-TRAK charger, is there anyway that i can use my PRO-TRAK to bring my batteries back to life, so i can agen get the punch and run time out of them that they should be giving me....

thanx jordan
Old 02-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not familiar with that charger. How are you maintaining them? How do you discharge them? Equalize them? Charge settings? What mah do they charge to?

I'm just a beginner too, but the advice I've gathered is:

never run them right down
store long term with some charge in them
discharge at a rate of at least 20 amps after the race
equalize to 0.9 volts per cell before charging
charge at 6 amps, finishing charge just before the race
Old 02-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Give us some info on your charger and your charging methods.

How old are the batteries? Do you equalize them?

Be aware that by just having a matched pack doesn't mean it will be as good as the next. 75% relies on how you care for your cells.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

well lol, i charge my batteries up at 5 maybe 6 amps and discharge them after the race day at 30amps to a volt of 5.40 i think....but they only charge upto about 2700mah when they are 3700mah

http://www.pro-trak.co.uk/

thats the website for my charger, i tells alot of info

jordan
Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Have you got an equalizing trey. by taking your battieries down to 5.4 is okay. you should also equalize them also.

I've have heard some really good things about your charger. Just curious what software is in it? Did you purchase it new our used?

By chance do you have the intensire system for the charger. If you do I would try that out.

Also how old is your pack. they should take more then 2700. what do the voltage peak at? I should say on the charger when it is done.

You might also want to make sure all your solder joint on the pack a1 condition.

Well I hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanx mate, yes i have an intensive care system for it, and i brought it brand knew about 10 monhs ago soo its a reasonabley knew version!!!

my packs are gettin on for about 1 and half old now but i dont race everyw weekend my racing club is only on twice a month and i at least go too one of them but im not a real regular...

not sure wot peak voltage it mao neva reli have time to look lol

thanx jordan
Old 02-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

I addition to the above, make sure you give your cells ample time to cool completely before recharging. Heat is the number #1 killer of the cells that we use for R/C.

If you are interesting in a discharging tray, Integy has one for around $25 and works wonderfully. Also, if you want a more sophisticated unit, Nexus Racing sells the MuchMore Discharger which is a nice piece as well.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Talking

well i think i wont buy one because my intensive care system car do it and equalize them and the actuall protrak it self can discharge them

thanx jordan
Old 02-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jordys jrxs
thanx mate, yes i have an intensive care system for it, and i brought it brand knew about 10 monhs ago soo its a reasonabley knew version!!!

my packs are gettin on for about 1 and half old now but i dont race everyw weekend my racing club is only on twice a month and i at least go too one of them but im not a real regular...

not sure wot peak voltage it mao neva reli have time to look lol

thanx jordan
Then if your cells tend to sit awhile without being cycled, make sure they have at least a 50% charge. Allowing them to hold a charge while in storage reduces the chance of cell reverse (negative voltage) which damages cells as well.

With your comment I thought of something else - how many times do you run your pack on a given race day? Cells that have been out of use for some time tend to lose some of their initial punch and need to be "stretched out" in order to regain the lost power. This is achieved by cycling your cells a couple of times to revive them. Note that this phenomenon is totally normal.

Good luck
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

so how much charge do you think i should leave in them, im doing a intensive care process as we speak then ill charge them and see if theve improved!!

ifi cycle the cells aswell will this help all in one night, and btw do u mean cyle once then leave pack for atleast hour to cool down, and then do another or do you mean do them both one after another because cycling produces a massive amount of heat inside the cells...would the amount of solder used on the cell joins make a difference??

thanx jordan
Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

Measure the voltage in each cell individually after the pack has peaked. See if all are close as far as voltage. You may have a bad cell.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jordys jrxs
so how much charge do you think i should leave in them, im doing a intensive care process as we speak then ill charge them and see if theve improved!!

ifi cycle the cells aswell will this help all in one night, and btw do u mean cyle once then leave pack for atleast hour to cool down, and then do another or do you mean do them both one after another because cycling produces a massive amount of heat inside the cells...would the amount of solder used on the cell joins make a difference??

thanx jordan
Try to make about half the theoretical capacity (3700 maH or w/e) for storage up to about a month. Any longer than a month, fully charge them.

Charge, wait until cool, discharge, wait until cool.....do this 2 or three times and see if the cells improve. Hopefully after each cycle charge capacity and peak voltage should go up.