Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car cleaning and bearings.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Car cleaning and bearings.

I have had my car about a year and have decided that it is probably time to strip the car down and give it a good clean. I built the car as per the instruction, and didn't do anything special with the bearings.

Whilst I have the car stripped down, what should I do to clean the bearings?

Cheers in advance
Old 03-07-2007, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thoroughly clean out the bearing with either motor spray or nitro wash. RPM makes a bearing blaster that makes the process very easy, or you can also use a jewerly cleaner device (Indi Sparkle) filled with cleaner. These two items will make the cleaning very easy, but you can also just use a plastic bag or small cup filled with cleaner.

Once the bearings have been cleaned, spin them to "feel" if there is any grit left. If there is, repeat the process until all the grit is gone. Once there is no grit, lube the bearings with thin bearing oil and re-install.

After a year of use, you may find that some or all of the bearings may need to be replaced.

Last edited by A. Rhodes; 03-07-2007 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I blow them out with an air hose, then I use an RPM bearing blaster and spray them out with motor cleaner. Then put some bearing oil in and if the bearing doesn't spin free, I replace the bearing. The oval thread has good info on bearing maintenance. Bearings that spin free equal lightning fast lap times. And more efficient run times. If your bearings are year old I would lean towards a complete bearing replacement and save the old ones as back ups.
There probably not going to be very good if you haven't kept them up at all.
Unless your running indoors? Then maybe. Try a lot of different stuff the bearings are very important.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:20 AM
Tech Rookie

My bearings are standard Tamiya ones and have a metal cover. Do I need to remove these covers to clean the inside? How do I get them off?

Does anyone have a web address of a good article on how to clean the bearings?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic.php?t=1315&start=18

thats just one of the many ways to do it.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Decent bearings can be had for a buck each. I just replace as needed.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A. Rhodes
Thoroughly clean out the bearing with either motor spray or nitro wash. RPM makes a bearing blaster that makes the process very easy, or you can also use a jewerly cleaner device (Indi Sparkle) filled with cleaner. These two items will make the cleaning very easy, but you can also just use a plastic bag or small cup filled with cleaner.

Once the bearings have been cleaned, spin them to "feel" if there is any grit left. If there is, repeat the process until all the grit is gone. Once there is no grit, lube the bearings with thin bearing oil and re-install.

After a year of use, you may find that some or all of the bearings may need to be replaced.

Sweet!!! I have been looking all over for that Sparkle thingy. I got one ordered