Running Li-Po Batteries Safely-Help?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Running Li-Po Batteries Safely-Help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Running Li-Po Batteries Safely-Help?

I have just purchased 2 Orion Li-Po Platinum 4800 batteries. I have read some pretty bad things that can happen with these batteries. My question is how easy is it to ruin the batteries by discharging them due to running them too long. I am going to be running them in a RTR TC4 and an E-Maxx. Am I safe by just stopping them as the vehicle starts losing power? I have ordered 2 Novak modules, 1 (2 cell) for the TC4 and 1 (4cell) module for the E-Maxx since it runs on 2 (2 cell) Li-pos, these modules shut off vehicle before it drains too low. Am I safe running them without modules as long as I stop when they begin losing power. These batteries are too expensive to ruin, please help with advice.
Gofastrlbrown
Old 02-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

im running the platinum 4800 without a cutoff for several months now with no problems once the car slows, i pick it up and charge the battery. unlike nimh or nicd's, you cannot run the pack down to a crawl. once the car slows down, stop immediately and pick up the car.

those lipo cutoff devices you mentioned are good safety nets to prevent overdischarging i havent used one yet but i think once the cutoff kicks in, you cant run your car anymore. unlike using lipo without cutoff, you can still crawl the car which will likely cause overdischarging of the lipo.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not sure on the 4cell but the 2 cell works great. in theroy it works talk to Mr. Black he knows his stuff
Old 02-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I have 2 3200 and a 4800 Li-Po packs. With the 3200 I ran the car for 8 minutes (used timer on the M8 radio). I tried this at least four different times. It took more or less 2300 milliamps of charge. I then tried it with 12 minutes. When the car started to slow, I stopped the car and set it battery to charge. It took around 2700 milliamps each time to fully charge it again. I think you will be able to see the car slow down enough and still be well within the battery's limit. Have not timed my 4800 yet. Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

run mine for 10mins using mod motor and consumed around 3500mah of capacity. does the 4800 platinum needs to be equalize? how often?
Old 02-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Marvi is right...once it slows take it off and charge it. The first time you may wonder if you are hitting the end but it won't take long to figure it out. I find with my Lipos I can start to notice a drop off at about 6.5V. Well within a safe limit to stop. It will drop quickly at that point however so don't try and squeeze in a couple more laps....just stop and you'll be fine.

Be careful though with the cutoffs....most are only warning they do NOT shut down the vehicle. Novak's Smart Stop only pulses the throttle and gives you a visual LED when it is low, then it sounds like it puts the motor in neutral. That is not shut off. Not that it isn't a good safety net to have, just don't be fooled into thinking you can't ruin a lipo with that sort of cutoff.... its a warning and a warning you should pay attention to. In most cases you will have already noticed it slowing down and will have stopped anyway.

Balancing is very seldom needed but is important for safety so you don't overcharge/discharge. My lipos have never been out of balance but I do check them. Better safe than sorry!

Last edited by padailey; 02-23-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was at the WRAM show yesterday and attended a seminar about Li-Po cells. This show is a heavy aircraft show and the seminar was directed at airplanes, but the info applies to anyone using LiPo.

Go here and download the presentation