R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   motor tunning (rpm and amp) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/151080-motor-tunning-rpm-amp.html)

jinkasama 02-23-2007 04:44 PM

motor tunning (rpm and amp)

hi guys i tried to search for this. but the site always gives me an ERROR message,,

so here it is.. i tried to tune my motor .using a motor checker. to see the rpm and amp. or volts.. will anybody walk me through this?

like whats the rpm and amps do to motor. like which is preffered high rpm and low amp?

or low rmp and high amp i tried to check my 27t motor it pulls 15 amps and 36000 rpm.. is it ok?

i dont know the motor but its says on the endbell zzone.

i put e brush on it

purple on the +

green n the - side

i cut the come smoothly..

thanx

Big B 02-23-2007 05:25 PM

Big Jim said "the best dyno is the track". As for your motor, its hard to say, to get an accurate dyno you should be running it at 7.6-7.8 volts if you are going to be using it in a 6 cell car. As for the dyno #'s they are open to interputation, but what they will tell you is how to gear your motor. Here are some tips to building a motor, first you want to align the brush hoods, break in the brushes on a low voltage as low as 1v for 5min, then remove the comm, make a single pass on a lathe, and the motor should be at its best. Alot of people change brushes way to much, you dont have to put new brushes in everytime you cut the com, I use a tip out of Big Jims RC Motor Blackbook, I install the brushes (which ever you like, I like F brushes) and never replace them, when you cut the com, use a orion comm stick to deglaze the brushes, thats it. Occasionaly you will want to strip down your motor and clean it, use a toothbrush to clean the inside of the can, armature, and endbell. You can use regular dish soap.

jinkasama 02-23-2007 11:16 PM

also with the no load motor checker you dont need to look at the amp draws right since its not accurate. so the only thing you look at is the rpm.. and is the rpm close to or almost realistically correct?

jgroenhof 02-23-2007 11:37 PM

No load amp draw

When I run in a motor I watch the amp draw. Once it stabilizes I am done.
Usually I need to spray out the motor after a few minutes, dry, oil, and run in some more. Ideally I would then skim the comm. But I don't own a lathe.

jinkasama 02-23-2007 11:47 PM

they said for a no load motor checker amp draws that it gives means nothing. im pulling out 15amps with 35000 rpm at 3 volts. this is a stock motor. so i guess the 15amps is not really realistic? but the rpm is?

MR JOLLY 02-24-2007 12:38 AM

No load motor Checkers

No load will only give you a rough idea if your in the ball park
if you use your `OWN` checker all the time then you can get a good idea from amp/rev reading on your own checker

No motor load /Rpm is no good ,motor is under load in the car all the time thus never gets to the revs that is shows in your hand

amp draw
same as above ,but friction/binding will show hight amp draw,

my ideal No.`s for amp is
all @2.0v between 6-8.5 , yes they do vary quite a bit ,you can get 10 + a motors
but they fade halfway into a race (get to hot) also all these motors run gear ratio`s that can be quite a big difference from one monster to another

Big B 02-24-2007 01:17 AM

There is alot of things to consider, when when you dyno a motor, but again it all comes down to how it performs on the track, all the numbers in the world dont me s#!t if it craps out on the course. And when taking all these nubers into consideration you have to also think about what kind of track you are on, is it large, small, open, technical? A high rpm motor isnt nessicearly the best all the time, on a small technical course I like a more Tourquey motor rather than high rpm's, what good is a high rev if you dont have the room to open it up.