Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 cell in 27t/19t

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

longer races would be great, but people would still screw their motors.

I think the problem with running indoors, is the tracks are so tight and grip so high, people are nailing it all the time.

On my esc, I don't ever run full punch, it is down from anywhere from 60% upto about 80% motor don't cook and the car is as quick as it is on 100% but no motor fade etc etc etc....
Old 03-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Agreed, no matter how long the races the motors will always suffer but with longer races (as in some other rc classes) it's not just a 'mad sprint race' it's more about tactics and driving at a less than 'flat out' pace, more fun in my view! The end result would also mean the cars would be slower, easier to drive and less likely to be damaged in high speed accidents.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Thank golly I didn't sell me buggies Terry, I can go race, one set of tyres will work almost anywhere, I can run mod, do jumps, not burn up me motors.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by muahdib4
5-cell off-road??? NOBODY is doing that in the U.S. at least. Brushless..yes, 6-cell or LiPo but NO 5-cell. Many people are running both here at least or would like the option to be able to run both with the same equipment.

I have tested 5cell in off-road for over a month ....

Now I got Orion 3200 Li-Po and have no interest at all in experimenting with fewer cells again....

Not that I though 5 cell was bad , just perfer the performance of the Orion carbon a lot better....

and
Will be running the Orion 3200 carbon in my
Sedan this summer...
Old 03-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

so you lot say 5 cell pulls more amps then 6 cell yes???

so my motor & batts will come off hotter then with 6 cell ???

if yes

are you now saying it won`t work going to 5 cell
save money
save wear & tear
drive better
make the cars easier to controll for ALL` not just the top 5%
easier to float across form 1 class to another .
2 class`s @ clubs instead of just 27t stock (which by the way most of the fast ones bitch about but stay there

bring stability to all 3 class's
Old 03-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
basically, yes, there is no such thing as a free lunch, the cars will go as fast or faster with the less weight, cells will be sucked dry, cars will be made more fragile (down to weight).

If you want to go slower, put a slower motor in it, it is that simple....
Couldnt agree more.

Racing is all about a compromise and varibles, we all thrive on speed and torque... or want our cake and eat it, but the matter of fact is something has to give
Old 03-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Tech Master

No Colin, your motor will probably come off cooler (only a little bit mind, marginal) but the cells WILL come off hotter, you will be running them down lower to, and basicaly, as you know, the harder you push your cells, the shorter their lifespan. And being racing, people will be upping their charge current (instead of dropping it) to increase the cell voltage a little, but reducing duration.

If TC went completely 5 cell, with 100g slashed off the weight, companies will make cars to work to that weight or lower, and we all know what that means, more cost in R+D, new parts, new cars etc etc, parts will be slimmed down to reduce weight, making them more breakable etc etc.

Short term gain for long term pain.... 5 cell is.

Like I have said, for the majority, if 6cell stock is too fast indoors, then have 6cell 540 silver can, they aren't that much slower.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

i going to try 5cells in my 2wd buggy indoors next weekend
i will be running a 19t on a small carpet track.,

//peter
Old 03-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

its not going to save you money because you will need the best 5 cell packs you can get your hands on.its ok saying that you can drop a cell from our 6 cell packs but i really dont think that this will be that good.

wear and tear is going to be just the same by the time we gear up to try and get some speed we will need to skim motors more often because we are canning the life out of them.

hows it going to make you drive better

how do you think the top boys are on top? because they have put the effort in and are now reaping the rewards.they have spent years gaining knolage on setups driveing etc.they were at the bottom once

hows it easy to do 5 cell tc and 6 cell buggy cant float from one to the other in that.

some clubs eg eastbourne there indoor track is only really big enough for 27 turn.19 turn would be just to fast even if it is 5 cell
Old 03-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
No Colin, your motor will probably come off cooler (only a little bit mind, marginal) but the cells WILL come off hotter, you will be running them down lower to, and basicaly, as you know, the harder you push your cells, the shorter their lifespan. And being racing, people will be upping their charge current (instead of dropping it) to increase the cell voltage a little, but reducing duration.

Errrrrrrrrrr my cells come off cooler & take less mah to get to full charge after a race
if you go back & see the info i put up it tells you there

i put in 1500mah in 5cell yet in 6 cell i can use nearly 2000 mah
Whati will do though DA is double check down maritime thurs eve this figure
but i`m damn sure cells stay cooller in 5 cell (well mine do)

racers are upping there charge rate now ,also they know the IB`s won`t take 6+ amps with out issue`s ,they learnt the hard way ,since the same guys used to charge 8a in the GP batts (not guessing here ,just know)
Old 03-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

post 149
after each run battery took just 1500mah to peak off ,done this 4 times on the trot
also didn`t change the car setup from 1st week to 2nd week
same oils,same springs ,same tyre`s (well old aswell)
this was the same for the other 2 meets i done

1500 mah in 27t & just over 2000mah in 19t

so thst in it`s self makes 5 cell more efficient in the power delivery surley
Old 03-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Sometimes I wonder, how many against-5cells really tried 5cells?

With 5cells, motor comeoff cooler, ESC comeoff cooler, battery comeoff about the same or a bit cooler.

The only chance you get a hotter battery is when you change your 8T to 6T. If you stay on 27/23/19T, battery comeoff a bit cooler.

On elec motor, you won't double the Amp draw if you half the Votage. Check your motor checker and do the testing, or even easier, check some dyno result. Motor is NOT generating consis Watt, period. Hell if motor did generate consis Watt, everyone will fried their everything at startup (0.1V to 7.2V, 1/72 votage, 72times Amp draw if it's consis Watt)
Old 03-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Forgot
it`s sounds really cool you guy`s come out with all these figures from text books stuff on what a electric motor or c-battery's does when it`s being thrashed to bits & all
most of this is done in labratory conditions by Nerds's
not done by use `Normal abusive racers`

out here in the real world ,things happen that can`t be explanied
it`s called `Human users`
so my batts coming off cool is the opposite of what your books say ...

so would you listen if a factory team driver who TQ`s every meeting used it & say's it works or will you still listen to me coz i`m not a `team driver` stuff

like i said ,it`s 'sort' of working,more testing to be done ....

one other thing if it`s to big a change to go 5 cell 1400g
how about keep 6 cell/1500g BUT add 5 cell/1400g aswell in to the affray
have this for a year to see how it goes
both class`s race together ........

if silver can comes in i`ll shoot my self ,even in 6 cell
Old 03-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ttso
Sometimes I wonder, how many against-5cells really tried 5cells?

With 5cells, motor comeoff cooler, ESC comeoff cooler, battery comeoff about the same or a bit cooler.

The only chance you get a hotter battery is when you change your 8T to 6T. If you stay on 27/23/19T, battery comeoff a bit cooler.

On elec motor, you won't double the Amp draw if you half the Votage. Check your motor checker and do the testing, or even easier, check some dyno result. Motor is NOT generating consis Watt, period. Hell if motor did generate consis Watt, everyone will fried their everything at startup (0.1V to 7.2V, 1/72 votage, 72times Amp draw if it's consis Watt)

Anders commented on `how actually have tried 5 cell) before firing off
Old 03-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

We have raced under the 5 cell rule here in Sweden for about 2 months now (27t, 19t and mod) and it has worked very well. Motors come off cooler, tires last longer, the racing is better and believe it or not, laptimes have decreased. The cars carry more cornerspeed and drives in general better. So itīs all positive here in Sweden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.