Wiki Posts
Search

Reedy Race of Champions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edseb
Yep, no way to get around it. Car set up , whatever, new tires were faster. Corey Lewis locked down TQ early and saved his new tires for the mains. His last run was on new tires. TJ had to use some of his tires as reruns in the mains due to not having his qualifiers locked down. He had no chance of staying with Corey. A solid drop of 3-5 tenths per lap on used tires, no way to get around it.
The answer: improve the tire!!! Todays tires suck!!! They can easily be made to last much longer than what they are lasting now...tires have fallen behind- newer cars and esc, motor, cells, etc, but the same old thin skin of tires...of course you're going to wear them much faster and tear them up...they cant handle to power and speed of the new gen motors and escs...they need to be enhanced and updated to handle more power and longer more consitant wear...
Old 05-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Just curious, was the track sprayed with anything to aid traction?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
The answer: improve the tire!!! Todays tires suck!!! They can easily be made to last much longer than what they are lasting now...tires have fallen behind- newer cars and esc, motor, cells, etc, but the same old thin skin of tires...of course you're going to wear them much faster and tear them up...they cant handle to power and speed of the new gen motors and escs...they need to be enhanced and updated to handle more power and longer more consitant wear...
Wouldn't a harder compound tyre work then? RP36's?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kraig
Just curious, was the track sprayed with anything to aid traction?
Yes... dont know what was in the sprayer but it was sprayed every morning
Old 05-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

HB Moose, the track was sprayed with pancake syrup mixed with enough water so that the mixture doesn't clog the sprayers.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation RE: R.R.O.C. at Tamiya for the last time!

Tires can always be better but my son rotated his tires and always had a new pair in the rear and his car had good traction all weekend. His driving well that's something else. I'm still proud of him making the "E" main. Very tough competion this year. He ran 21 laps all weekend but like previous comments, even if you turned 22 laps, you still might only have made th "C" thats how tight it was.

Back to tires, Muchmore has come out with some what I consider good tires with good wear and traction. I've ran them right down to the belt and they still performed well. Some racers beg to differ and said they aren't as impressed as I was so maybe it's all a matter of what your car's setup is for a certain tire make.

Last, I would also commend Scotty,Jamie,Boomer for a great job and of coarse Fred and Mr. Reedy. First class race all the way!! Last, last....
Who says good guys finish last, Corey proves that statment wrong. He has always been very approachable and never gave misinformation and if he couldn't tell you he would be upfront with you. I guess that goes back to being a sponsored racer your character and conduct have a direct affect on the product and the people you represent at major races.
Just my 2$
Old 05-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Some of the US drivers were running 5 cell for the first time. Some were running brushless for the first time. They tried brushed and were not competitive so they switched. One Mod driver switched on Friday night to brushless, so his first qualifier was his first run ever with 5 cell and brushless.

I think the grid could be a little more spaced out, there is almost always a crash in the sweeper on the first lap in Invite.

Congratulations to the winners, Corey Lewis, Ryan Cavalieri and Marc Rheinard.

Corey - Did you wreck the trophy when it got dropped ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
InviteFinalResults.pdf (18.8 KB, 400 views)
ModAAA.pdf (15.4 KB, 382 views)
SpecAAA.pdf (15.4 KB, 391 views)
ReedyFinalResults2007.pdf (210.2 KB, 451 views)
Old 05-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

It's pretty lame to blame tires on a U.S. driver not winning. I would understand a complaint if this was not a Spec race. The reedy race organiziers already did everything possible to make racing fair. Spec tires with maximum quantity allowed. Mark R. won because he had a great weekend and actually managed his tires well and had the same amount of tires to deal with for the races.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
Actually, it has been my experience that when someone is not using the "Spec" tire it is pretty obvious.
I'm not talikng about the tire. The insert plays a major roll as well, and since it's contained within the tire, it's a bit harder to tech.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

alright here is Mod A1....Spec A1 coming shortly....

Mod A1
Old 05-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
alright here is Mod A1....Spec A1 coming shortly....

Mod A1
nice
Old 05-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
A Little short sighted the tires are made to be as fast as the drivers want to be. The harder longer lasting tire the slower it will be. Look at any motorsport from 1/10 scale to F1. You even saw it at Monaco last weekend. The tires grained due to the load and the track not being up to temp and also being too green.
Tamiya is a very abrasive circuit and eats tires up as it is. When you have a car that pushes you will roast fronts in 2 mins. They could have spec'd a harder tire and it might have been better or it could have been way wrong due to ambient temps etc. In the 5 yrs or so that Reedy has been at Tamiya the temps have been different every year. There has been Rain 2 of those years. Mild temps like this last week and Major heat I think in 03 or 04? The tire compound has stayed relatively the same with the CS-27 and the RP-30. The racers demand a tire with better corner speed, grip etc the mfg's make it. Whose fault is it?

Congrats to Team Tamiya, wish I could have been down with you guys looks like the cars were handling very well all weekend. Rod, Corey you guys coming up to SIR for Nats? I know Josh will be up
Old 05-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think it's hard to blame tires and lack of experience for the US performance. Fact is there's not a lot of new talent coming into the hobby - at least in on road. All the new drivers (and a lot of the old) are running off road. In touring car, every year it's the same guys. We need to do something to attract more young drivers into the hobby. I think a descent quality RTR kit with brushless motor and lipo would help get them in the hobby without having to spend so much on peripheral equipment and make racing less of a hassle.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Spec A1
Old 05-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow, that spec main was an interesting watch. Can you say rough?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.