Wiki Posts
Search

Reedy Race of Champions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Josh Numan taught me alot about tire's this weekend and he killed people on new and re run tire's. If you can't get your car hooked on re runs then ask a question or two from the big shots. They are there to help.
are you willing to share?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoCalLosiRacer
I was there Saturday... anybody up for some photos?

I've also got a couple of desktop wallpapers up from this event...http://jbphotography.smugmug.com/gal...3468#157202085. I might add some more later this week.
awesome pics! thank you
Old 05-29-2007, 04:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Very nice pics!
Old 05-29-2007, 05:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
The Tamiya track has always been extremely abrasive. It's murder on rubber tires. I don't care if it's a RP30 or a Sorex tire. Other tracks I've raced on don't wear out RP30's anywhere near as bad. Yes, they do still fall off a little bit. But nothing like they do at the Tamiya track. Guys in Europe and Asia run nothing but rubber tires (for the most part) and have to deal with tires dropping off after a run or two and know how to compensate for it. We don't. Mainly for some of the reasons that everyone is saying they prefer foams. Foams don't fall off after a run. So there's no need to compensate for it. So we don't learn how to deal with it. Until we have more outdoor rubber tire races in the States, we'll be lacking when it comes to running on used tires.

That being said, I do think the Invite class should still be a handout tire, but they should have 8 sets, not 4. Mainly for the spectators. IMO this will make the racing that much tighter because you won't end up with half of the field in each heat on used tires and half on fresh tires. I doubt there's a driver in the invite class who has to pay for their own tires so the cost of it shouldn't be an issue. You won't really end up with the two car breakaways we tend to see a lot with the 4 set rule.

John,

Very well said and that was my point exactly!

Larry,

As I said before (please read my post) I have been racing off road lately after running an On Road program both inddor and out for two years. Try being a race director everytime you hit the track and let me know how you feel.

I am coming back to on road this fall but I can voice my opion if I would like. I am all for more rubber racing period.

Guys,

Has anybody ever run foams at the Tamiya track. If so how would that compare since the track is so abrasive.

Later
Kevin Boyle
Old 05-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Angry Rubber Tires

This could all be much easier and probably end the discussions, if the tire manufacturers would actually stop ripping people off!!! Make longer lasting tires!!! They know what they are doing! They know their tires will last a few 5-6 runs, and I know they know how to make them much more durable! They can easily make tires that last 15-20 runs for mod, and 25-30 for stock...but guess what? less sales- they are getting away with murder!!! Where are the big name racers and influencial people in racing that will take a stand and force these voltures to make much better tires? Why have you remained silent? Who will actually say something?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ahhhhh, The perrenially retarded foam vs. rubber debate. Just one thing to note, virtually all the rubber fans are from warm climates, and foam fans are from regions with actual carpet tracks.

As an individual who has been racing for a little while, and has run both, I would refer everyone to McMoney's post. It couldn't have been stated any better or any less inflammatory.

Also as previously stated, by stlnlst I believe, we tailor this race to the European drivers. 5-cell, brushless, rubber tire, asphalt? I say let them run whatever rules they want at RROC's on other continents, but when you show up on our soil, you run our rules.

Better still, there's no venue for next year's race yet, why should Scotty have to travel half way across the country? Just have it at Trackside, 6-cell, on foams.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Ahhhhh, The perrenially retarded foam vs. rubber debate. Just one thing to note, virtually all the rubber fans are from warm climates, and foam fans are from regions with actual carpet tracks.

As an individual who has been racing for a little while, and has run both, I would refer everyone to McMoney's post. It couldn't have been stated any better or any less inflammatory.

Also as previously stated, by stlnlst I believe, we tailor this race to the European drivers. 5-cell, brushless, rubber tire, asphalt? I say let them run whatever rules they want at RROC's on other continents, but when you show up on our soil, you run our rules.

Better still, there's no venue for next year's race yet, why should Scotty have to travel half way across the country? Just have it at Trackside, 6-cell, on foams.
Run it at trackside, but with rubber tires on carpet...
Old 05-29-2007, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This could all be much easier and probably end the discussions, if the tire manufacturers would actually stop ripping people off!!! Make longer lasting tires!!! They know what they are doing! They know their tires will last a few 5-6 runs, and I know they know how to make them much more durable! They can easily make tires that last 15-20 runs for mod, and 25-30 for stock...but guess what? less sales- they are getting away with murder!!! Where are the big name racers and influencial people in racing that will take a stand and force these voltures to make much better tires? Why have you remained silent? Who will actually say something?

i thought the general rule is....its either high grip OR long lasting. if the tire lasts 15+ runs it would not have that much grip.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kevin Boyle
Daryl,

Will the Checkpoint BL motor work with the LRP BL system? Can you PM with the details

Thanks
Kevin Boyle
Kevin,
All our drivers besides Numan and Baker ran LRP. Numan, Baker and myself used Novak.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcmoney
The arguement of rubber vs foam will always be a heated battle.Fact remains that rubber tires ARE faster the first run by several tenths....Plain and simple....Perhaps not as much on some tracks vs others but they are no doubt faster...Due to this you as a driver must have all the tires possible/allowed.....In a perfect race weekend you will go out and TQ a race the first 2 rounds and use your used (slower) tires for the next 2 in hopes of saving your new tires for the main events....If that was the case I would have been a multi-time world champ ny now..lol...Lets race it, doesnt usually work out like that...Correct me if I am wrong but I dont recall ever having to save a set of tires or basically throw out 2 rounds of qualifying while racing on foam.....Sure at times new tires are faster well but you DONT HAVE to run them to be competitive...You do of course have some tire wear with foam but it doesnt make the tire unusable after 1-2 runs, regardless of your skill level...To say that you can trash them every run by hitting stuff and chunking the hell out of them is like saying that I dont want to run my rubber tires because I dont want to crack a rim....To say that foam is just as expensive as rubber racing is crazy....Dont get me wrong, I love all forms/classes of racing and they all are challenging in there own way. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in there...lol

I also think that the invite class should be given 8 sets (every run) however the open classes should be limited to 2 sets total to cut back some of the costs for the average racer.......I hate the fact that the invite drivers have to decide when to use new tires dependent on there grid position or who they are running against in a particular race...Let the best of the best run full out with the best equip available.....Dont handcuff them....In the end it will only add to the already fantastic racing format.
I would have gone full throttle through the sweeper on foams!...I certainly tried to do it on rubber and look where I (we, Mike you were there too) ended up...
Old 05-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Foam is bigger in the US. therefore alot of racers and companies concentrate on it more. 6 big foam races 2 big asphalt races. Not to figure out what is more important to most people.

wow this is getting good, No disrespect to you Fairtrace but carpet racing is only big in the Northwest, Mid-west and Northeast. 3/4 of the racers that attend come from those region, Fla and California could care less about carpet but only if it's rubber carpet and as far as which is cheaper IMO rubber wins in a landslide, I pay for all my stuff
Old 05-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I thought it was interesting how Pudge and Skids showed up to the race after spending most of their time this year driving the B4 and RC8, and they still tore it up in open mod! Maybe the reason why Team USA sucks in on-road isn't just due to the foam/rubber and sandbagger issues. Maybe it also has to do with the possibility that many of Team USA's best drivers spend most of their time playing in the dirt. 2WD Mod Buggy 4 Life Biotches!
Old 05-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leodis
I thought it was interesting how Pudge and Skids showed up to the race after spending most of their time this year driving the B4 and RC8, and they still tore it up in open mod! Maybe the reason why Team USA sucks in on-road isn't just due to the foam/rubber and sandbagger issues. Maybe it also has to do with the possibility that many of Team USA's best drivers spend most of their time playing in the dirt. 2WD Mod Buggy 4 Life Biotches!

Any of the guys in the invite class would be tearing it up in the open mod.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

thought it was interesting how Pudge and Skids showed up to the race after spending most of their time this year driving the B4 and RC8, and they still tore it up in open mod! Maybe the reason why Team USA sucks in on-road isn't just due to the foam/rubber and sandbagger issues. Maybe it also has to do with the possibility that Team USA's best drivers spend most of their time playing in the dirt. 2WD Mod Buggy 4 Life Biotches!

like Cavaleri winning after not driving Touring Car for a long while
Old 05-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I believe everyone has their favorites and that is why they run what they run. Cars feel different and drive different on each tire. Everyone has their favorites and because of this they will race what they want and attend events where they can run what they want.

With that said, I bet it would be safe to say that it is up to the race organizer to do what is best for his or her race. If the event isn't successful or fun who would come back next year?

As for the 5 and 6 cell rule thing I think it is again up to the organizer/s. I remember when the Reedy race banned one-ways and you had to run a diff or a spool in the front. I don't think one-ways were banned overseas at the time. The point is that the Reedy Race is an event that is willing to try things out of the norm to see how it works, not necessarly cater to other visiting racers.

Just my opinion and if you don't agree I understand. I am happy that I can get to the track to race, have fun and help others. To me that is what is important.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.