Spool vs Diff vs One-Way

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spool vs Diff vs One-Way

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Initiate

I am able to drive one way and spool. With spool, i can take corners using throttle instead of the steering and the feeling is great...Using one-way, u need to find the braking point, throttle off and then slowly increase the throttle as u enter the corner. However, both spool and one way require different settings.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
I used to run 1-ways all the time in stock until I switched to a 13.5. With all the torque from a BL the 1-way was un-managable on pavement. On carpet 1-ways were a little better but I did not feel as aggressive than I did with a spool. Gotta love 4 wheel breaking.

The only place I run a double 1-way now is with a mabuchi/johnson motor setup.

As far as a front diff, I would not suggest it especially with a BL. I had to learn that the hard way, the front diff loostened up during a race, started slipping, then burned up, the rear diff then started acting like a rwd car started slipping and it was smoked too. Never had that happen before, but with the torque of the new motors, you are better off with a spool/diff setup.

I never tried the 1-way grease packing technique... sounds like something interesting to try....
i think in stock you can run diff in front if you want it makes the car a little bit smoother as balance between corner speed and turn in sometimes makes high speed an issue!! But you put anti wear grease in front diff and do it up very tight so it feels like s#@t. but still has give for that smooth feeling you get with one way!! and more steering than spool!!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by decibels
But you put anti wear grease in front diff and do it up very tight so it feels like s#@t. but still has give for that smooth feeling you get with one way!! and more steering than spool!!
I will eventually try that. On a dusty, un-sprayed parkinglot the BL spool/diff has been treating me well.

Lately I have been running 3 classes each one uses a different setup like double-1-ways, diff/diff and spool/diff.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aoizip
Thanks for the tip Tag...

Don't have the losi grease on hand right now, maybe I will try the AE green slime grease.. That thing is quite thick!!

~Ming
Hmm, I would be afraid it makes the one-way bearing slip over the outdrive... yes green slime is thick but...slippy also.

You try it then tell us, ok?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I had never bothered with a spool because of the damage they tended to do to outdrives and universals. But after I got an Mi3, I found that a spool was great for rubber/carpet.

And now that I've switched cars, thats still what I plan on running. I think if your going to run a diff for rubber/carpet, then it should be run really tight, almost locked. That way, it will give you spool like feel with a little less wear and tear on the universals and diff outdrives.

But I think its something thats definitely NOT a absolute. Spools-oneway-diff has always been a matter of preference and feel. Heck, I would never run anything other than a one-way on asphalt with my nitro car, but have never been able to get it to work with electric sedan on the exact same track...
Old 07-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Don't slam me for asking but what is a spool? I know about Diffs and One ways. I just got back into the hobby after a long time.

Are spools just solid front drive?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Are spools just solid front drive?
Yes.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

diff for running on foams (exept nitro sedan, one way takes skill but wicked fast)

one way for rubber on asphalt and stock class rubber on carpet.

spool for any rubber tire class above stock on carpet.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

i was told that you use a:

spool for rubber/asphalt
oneway for rubber/carpet
diff for foam/carpet

(this is for electric cars)
Old 07-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

So curious as to opinions on a classic one way VS. Xray's spooled one way.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
i was told that you use a:

spool for rubber/asphalt
oneway for rubber/carpet
diff for foam/carpet

(this is for electric cars)
if you have time you test all and see which is consistently fast for you and then run it!! what works for some dont work for others! and then again some people just stick to what everyone else runs without thinking outside the box
Old 07-30-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is also the combination of center one-way with front diff!!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is there spool for xray?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yeah for me. One-Way was the way to go when using a 10 Turn motor. I switched over to brushless though, and now the braking issue is more pronounced where it doesn't have any front braking at all. So that's the main reason why I was trying to get things adjusted.

That's why I brought up the thread from the dead.

paul
Old 07-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Logika
Is there spool for xray?
I'm looking at getting the MultiDiff, allows you to set it as a solid axle, solid axle with one way or normal one way.

I was reading the Set up book from XRay and it mentions using a rear solid axle on high grip tracks, anyone tried this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.