Wiki Posts
Search

Worth gettin a comm lathe with brushless around the corner

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 01:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Worth gettin a comm lathe with brushless around the corner

Hi,

Ive been racing for a couple of years but i never really bothered to buy a comm lathe. Now though its getting a bit expensive gettin it cut donw my LHS. I was wondering whether its worth gettin one with brushless motors about to come out, do you think brushed motors will get phased out?

Cheers
Old 03-15-2003, 02:02 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

spycs I don't think all stock motor will go away,but again the mod motor might stay around alittle longer..brushless and mod motor just might be in the class running together just my 2cent
Old 03-15-2003, 02:09 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

secondly it is depenting your hobbies track rule...if they want to keep the mod motor brush around alitttle longer,or start a new class for brushless motor...You have to look at How much racing do you do
Old 03-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I practically race every fortnight which is about 5 runs and 1 or 2 runs between each fornight. Im thinking of using money that i was going to spend on a lathe to buy a brushless instead maybe. Whats all ur opinions on brushless taking over? I suppose its sorta like NiMH phasing out Ni-CDs.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Tech Adept

I think brushless is the way of the future for sure, won't need to bother with comm lathes now when I move into modifieds.

New technology has this effect on some people, they will never agree something is better.
Look at how some photographers cling to their dirty film cameras, they will never admit a digital camera is even in the race for quality work, despite the quality of digital camera now available.
Same thing in many fields, some people will continue to run the brushed motors for various quaint reasons.

I have seen brushless in action and I know which side I'm on.

The idea of having short life comms has kept me waiting for brushless to arrive and now it's here I'm in for it.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

aside: a camera is only as good as the glass through which the light travels... therefore very few digital cameras cut it (+ i understand to capture the amount of info on a 35mm neg you need about 11m pixles - it depends on film speed) the current crop of digital slr's are getting there in both resloution, lens quality and shutter speed (lag time between pressing the button and the camera taking the shot)

on topic - brushless will be all the rage, but as with digital cameras it will take a year or two before they become fully (read accecpted by the governing bodies) accecpted, and betwwen now and then look for improvements all the time.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:15 AM
Tech Adept

The lens on most small digicams is indeed the limiting factor but high end digital SLR's that use the same lenses as their film cousins don't suffer from this.
A Nikon D1 or D1X is an amazing bit of gear.
More resolution than you could ever need and the full range of Nikor lenses clip on.

I guess the governing bodies will indeed be the only thing holding back BL motors, I doubt anything else will hurt their eventual takeover.

Some people who already have huge amounts invested in brushed motors, esc's and lathes will hang out till the bitter end
to either prove a point or save money.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:48 AM
Tech Addict

Default I say sell all your brushed stuff while its still

worth something. I have Novaks brushless and all I can say is wow. I think its going to be big. Nothing like have two motors in one. A mild mod and a spec stock motor. I see mod going by the way side due to its huge exspense. My two cents.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

I must also admit that brushless is the future, yet the future may take awhile to get here. Bob Novak, Tyree Phillips, and Charlie Suangka pretty much started their own class here at Socal for brushless. Yet they are segregated from normal racing because of the advantages and disadvantages the brushless system has. The sport model does have several profiles to choose from, but I think I will wait until their competition model arrives.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

As for getting a lathe, that is up to you. It will still be needed for a long time to come. There are currently no sanctioning groups that have approved the system, yet.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:11 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

If you have the money to burn then get one( lathe) if not then buy a uesd one...I'll agree with RCinfinty
Old 03-16-2003, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RCInfinity
I must also admit that brushless is the future, yet the future may take awhile to get here. Bob Novak, Tyree Phillips, and Charlie Suangka pretty much started their own class here at Socal for brushless. Yet they are segregated from normal racing because of the advantages and disadvantages the brushless system has. The sport model does have several profiles to choose from, but I think I will wait until their competition model arrives.
I think you're spot-on RC. . .when did they start the class. . .notice that it's all Novak employees who started the class. . .can you say "subtle" boys and girls?

With the new Mod models coming out (Trinity had the D5 and Reedy has their new one. . .can't remember it) I can't seem brushed motors going away right away.

Also, they still cost a LOT - Novak SRP is $395. . . $235 on Tower. I would need three of them (Mod Pro10, 1/12th and Sedan) . . . I think I'm sticking with my brushed motors until the price comes way down. . . but I'm enthusiastically waiting!
Old 03-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Boomer
I think you're spot-on RC. . .when did they start the class. . .notice that it's all Novak employees who started the class. . .can you say "subtle" boys and girls?

With the new Mod models coming out (Trinity had the D5 and Reedy has their new one. . .can't remember it) I can't seem brushed motors going away right away.

Also, they still cost a LOT - Novak SRP is $395. . . $235 on Tower. I would need three of them (Mod Pro10, 1/12th and Sedan) . . . I think I'm sticking with my brushed motors until the price comes way down. . . but I'm enthusiastically waiting!
the new reedy is the "KR" (i wonder if will keep the 4 magnets?)

there is no way you would need 3 of them, new car = different gearing (unless you dont want to have to change motor/esc's)

its not much more to spend anyway... a good esc US$140 + mod US$50 come to $190 without counting running costs and BL wins there hands down
Old 03-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by contact
the new reedy is the "KR" (i wonder if will keep the 4 magnets?)

there is no way you would need 3 of them, new car = different gearing (unless you dont want to have to change motor/esc's)

its not much more to spend anyway... a good esc US$140 + mod US$50 come to $190 without counting running costs and BL wins there hands down
I'm wondering how the KR works. . .it looks cool!

I would want one for each car since changing motors and ESC's would be a pain between each class. . .

And, true, after the initial purchase of ESC and two good mods you've paid for the B/L system. My prob is that I've already GOT my Quantum Comps. . .
Old 03-17-2003, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I agree with the other posts: Brushless systems are the wave of the future. We just happen to be here during its transitional period from brushed motors. 10-15 yrs from now we will all look back and say "Trinity and reedy used to make those antique motors in my box."
But for now I'm planning to hold off till I see what the racing version novak is planning to put out soon will do. It also helps if local racers by these systems, and right now I havent seen a single system. I'm not worried about sanctioning bodies excepting these, its the local tracks that will except them first (most tracks with 4 or more people make a class) the sanctioning bodies will follow soon after that, but not without a fight from brushed manufactures, you can count on that!
My main concern is what will happen to newbies getting into the hobby. What will happen with all these RTR's with 19T brushed systems? And the initial cost of the BL system, It will need to come down alot to keep the hobby attractive to someone just starting out. I know most of us can justify a high end speedo with a hand wound mod costing almost as much as a BL, but try to explain it to a 12yr old with a paper route, I just hope Novak and others are not trying to set the price bar too high.
As far as getting a lathe, I'd still say pick one up. I'm sure stock motors will be around for a few more years atleast, with mods being on more equal terms with the BL systems, they should last a bit longer than stockers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.