R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   200mph prototype for RC Car Action's Insane Speed Run (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/149671-200mph-prototype-rc-car-actions-insane-speed-run.html)

b4maz 02-14-2007 12:19 PM

200mph prototype for RC Car Action's Insane Speed Run

This is a project I have been working on for a couple months. I have been designing my car in CATIA V5. It is electric and based on a RC10L3. I am done designing it, but I need help building it. I have created a webpage with all the details for my project here.

The8BitHero 02-14-2007 12:29 PM

wow that looks sick! Good luck man, 200mph land bound RC would be quite impressive.

RussB 02-14-2007 12:59 PM

looks interesting. have you checked out these guys for your machining work? http://www.emachineshop.com/

also, will that motor have enough torque to get the car up to speed without gear reduction?

b4maz 02-14-2007 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by RussB
looks interesting. have you checked out these guys for your machining work? http://www.emachineshop.com/

also, will that motor have enough torque to get the car up to speed without gear reduction?

I havent checked them out yet. I'll contact them ASAP. Thanks for the info, RussB.

I have been working on some torque calculations, but its hard to estimate the required torque to go 200 when I dont know the correct drag on this car. I need to windtunnel test it to get accurate results.

schmelme 02-14-2007 01:44 PM

Seems to me that to run that fast and not get out of shape the car needs to be 2-3 wheel design. Like a upside down canoe. Am i wrong?

burbs 02-14-2007 03:28 PM

I hope it stays on the ground, most take flight around 90+mph..

what are you using for tires??? That is another huge thing.. Ive seen alot of tires just blow apart going that fast.. cool progect.. I miss the old velodrome speed runs..

losi09 02-14-2007 10:46 PM

I do not know how I mesed this but it looks sweet! good luck with ur car.

SWTour 02-14-2007 11:18 PM

I miss the old velodrome speed runs..
Burbs, we still have them

SWTour 02-14-2007 11:22 PM

b4maz

I think you will find a normal Pan Car type setup is tooo rigid and will bounce and hop too much.

Nic Case's 134 MPH car was a Direct Drive Custom Works Intimidator. It had the suspension to have enough recoil, yet was still Direct Drive for efficiency.

He's had the same car over 80 mph on the banked Velodrome in Encino, but he ran it with foam tires which suck on that type of track.

twiggy 02-14-2007 11:36 PM

what did you use to create those drawings?

b4maz 02-15-2007 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by twiggy
what did you use to create those drawings?

CATIA V5

b4maz 02-15-2007 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by SWTour
b4maz

I think you will find a normal Pan Car type setup is tooo rigid and will bounce and hop too much.

Nic Case's 134 MPH car was a Direct Drive Custom Works Intimidator. It had the suspension to have enough recoil, yet was still Direct Drive for efficiency.

He's had the same car over 80 mph on the banked Velodrome in Encino, but he ran it with foam tires which suck on that type of track.

The 134mph car was an Associated Nitro TC3 (touring car). The 160 mph car was the Custom Works car.

See the article and video here

The speed run was on a 1/4 drag strip. It seemed like his pan car could make a faster run if he didnt crash.

Davidka 02-15-2007 08:10 AM

I think you may need to go to a bigger scale. If you do achieve 200mph past all of the stability/suspension challenges, the car will be so relatively small that you won't be able to see it midway through the run (unless acceleration is nearly instant). This thing will need a HUGE space to run in and the larger a paved space you find, the more surface imperfections you can expect. I think if you start with a 1/8 or even a 1/5 chassis you will have better suspension, greater mass, more aero stability and more space for all of the horsepower this project will require.

b4maz 02-15-2007 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Davidka
I think you may need to go to a bigger scale. If you do achieve 200mph past all of the stability/suspension challenges, the car will be so relatively small that you won't be able to see it midway through the run (unless acceleration is nearly instant). This thing will need a HUGE space to run in and the larger a paved space you find, the more surface imperfections you can expect. I think if you start with a 1/8 or even a 1/5 chassis you will have better suspension, greater mass, more aero stability and more space for all of the horsepower this project will require.

Yes, I have thought about going bigger. I was also thinking about power/weight ratios. I thought i'll go the route of high horsepower to weight ratio. Nic Case got his Custom Works up to 160 mph, so this could work.