Wiki Posts
Search

Thief's at the Races

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

After exchanging a few emails, Mr. Terutaka Hanaumi (owner of Xenon Racing and good friend of mine) he would like to express his sincere thanks for all those that helped him out with his missing luggage situation (Especially to Mr. Astushi Hara, Team Checkpoint, race organizers and many racers around). The luggage was found at the end, and everything was ok, and he has now arrived safely in Japan.

Steve Wang
Old 02-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was at my local races and there was a flux of new people. Had like 20 new people running around looking at the cars and stuff. Needless to say I left my wallet in my pitbox and had some money stolen. Not anyone's fault but mine and the thief who stole my money. I had over $400 dollars taken out of my wallet without me knowing it. After I was done racing, I packed up my stuff and went back home. The next day I found that it was missing. First I asked my wife if she borrowed the money but knew she wouldn't have done it. It was in British Pounds so it wasn't like she could spend it on the internet. I was so upset.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

My brother saw the luggage on an empty table Sunday afternoon and was worried about it as no one seemed to be around, and put it behind the tech area. Sorry if it raised some concern but it worked out in the end. Thanks!

Last edited by RCThunder; 02-13-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blee
In the tracks, people always come to ask for borrowing this, borrowing that (they always tell you they don't have it or forgot to bring).......... once you allow the stuff to be borrowed........ that mean you give the stuff to them forever..... 10 out of 10, those guys won't return back the stuff. I hate this behaviour very much. Therefore, I don't let my stuff leave my table, just tell them NO BORROW! Also, of course no valuable stuff leave on the table too.

Ask for their drivers license that will be returned once they return your stuff.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If only the law that gave convicted theifs the penalty of loosing a hand, Oh the lack of theft there would be.....

At larger events I make sure all personal electronics are in my pocket or tucked away. I carry an extra pit towel and cover my pit when I have leave for a heat or some grub...Out of sight is always a good rule.
Theifs don't want to take the time to uncover your stuff and have people see them, it looks way to suspious(sp).

Just my .02

-Shookie <><
Old 02-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Man whats the deal with people stilling things.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default re

it was my wallet that was stolen at the novak race In the end it was my fault for leaving my wallet unattended but i cannot understand why this person had to steal everything and not just the money. the money was clearly the objective im sure...i would much rather have my identification still there! thx again to all those who helped me out!

p.s: for anyone worried about this, it was an isolated incident so dont let this stop you from attending this great race!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TRFwhitey
it was my wallet that was stolen at the novak race In the end it was my fault for leaving my wallet unattended but i cannot understand why this person had to steal everything and not just the money. the money was clearly the objective im sure...i would much rather have my identification still there! thx again to all those who helped me out!

p.s: for anyone worried about this, it was an isolated incident so dont let this stop you from attending this great race!
Oh, ok. Sorry to hear that happend to u.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I found a bag of motor brushes ( about 25 -30 pairs and I guess they were not cheap ones either...) and turned them into the techs at the tech table... They were surprised that some one turned them in and just didn't keep them...

The racer who lost them ( I ran the first 2 heats with his wife ) tore his room apart looking for them and heard over the TV feed that is some one has lost some brushes to go to tech and describe them to prove the brushes belong to him...

He was surprised that some one turned the bag in..... He offered some to me but I couldn't use them. I was happy that the rightful owner got them back...
I've returned wallets/hangbags/etc to people who lost them before...

I guess it's not a common thing to happen.... But then again I'm different....
Old 02-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by futureal
It's not always racers stealing from racers -- any time you have a gathering like this, especially on I-Drive in Orlando, or Vegas, etc., it's quite possible you're going to attract professional thieves and cons at some point. They don't really steal RC gear because it is useless to them, they want something they can move on eBay or fence somewhere for cheap. So things like personal electronics, cell phones, iPods, wallets, purses, and on and on.

I know that as racers we get very much used to leaving our gear on our table and stepping away for a heat or a bite to eat or whatever else, but at these big events, it's impossible for the staff to watch everybody and everything. I just don't think we should immediately turn around and blame each other.

Now something like what happened at The Gate in Cleveland, is sadly a different story.
Last year, Joelīs Xray was stolen after Snowbirds...
Old 02-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Tech Initiate

So.. as a joke on Sunday when I go to race, i'm going to bring an IPod. Walk up to Josh and say "hey josh, you got any good music I can transfer to this iPod?"

I think it might be too soon. I'd be pissed if it was stolen.. in retrospect, maybe a week from now : )
Old 02-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Rookie

had a new smart tray go from my local track

can only guess it was some visitors. gutted! so hope'd someone had accidently got it mixed up with there stuff.

very isolated case!

Phil m