Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Yet Another "What TC to buy thread"..... >

Yet Another "What TC to buy thread".....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet Another "What TC to buy thread".....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Yet Another "What TC to buy thread".....

....although I have narrowed the field down some already...

I got a XXX-S G+ used to see what TC racing was like (usually race offroad). I'm finding I'm liking on road racing better than offroad

Now I'm looking for a newer designed TC.... Here's some specs on my local track and what criteria I'm looking for in a TC...

Track: Indoor Asphalt, high grip, fairly tight circuit.

Parts Support: Mainly Tamiya and X-Ray parts, with a scattering of Associated and Losi parts here and there.

Car Criteria:

-I use Orion 4800 Lipos, so the car must support those with minimal modifications.

-My XXX-S was a bit fragile...I want a TC that will survive side impacts a little better

-One Way avalibility/cost/strength: I hear that this is a good setup for the track I run on...I also use a little drag brake, but never use any other braking methods at all..so I think this setup would suit my driving style more.. If I do go this route, I want the strongest one way I can find...don't want a "brittle one"

-Good Parts Support: I had to bag it a few times when my XXX-S got mangled until I stocked up on parts via the web...and even that was a hit or miss proposition depending on what I broke...

-Trying to keep the cost under $400 minus upgrading to Ceramic bearings, which will cost $90 extra...(worth the money IMHO...they work well on my offroad car ) But I may go north of this figure if the car is right for me...

Current Prospects:

1) Tamiya EVO V: I like the aluminum steering rack, the fact the diffs are covered (I occasionally race outdoors as well), and since I'm probably going to be running stock and 19 turn nearly 100% of the time, the shaft drive doesn't bother me.. It also comes with a one way standard. I'd upgrade to titanium turnbuckles, but that wouldn't be a big deal... Parts support at my track is the best of all my contenders. The only downside is I'm not sure if the 4800 lipo pack will fit in it or not...and if it will handle well with that pack in there....

2) X-RAY T2007: Looks like a good kit.. the EU edition comes with the Multi Diff up front (From what I could gather on their web site). Parts Support at my track should be fine since a lot of racers run the T2.. The Steel Trunbuckles should be fine too... Again, not sure about the Lipo capability in terms of fit and handling....

3) Losi JRXS-R: Has design elements specific to my battery of choice, so it probably will handle well. Very little parts support for this brand at my local track..They could probably get the parts, but they probably wouldn't keep everything in stock at all times(since there are so few of them running there.) and I would be stuck hoarding parts again, guessing what will break The parts support on the web however should be very good since Losi is a fairly mainstream brand... I don't think it comes with a one way standard...and I'm not sure how durable Losi's one ways are... I have seen a couple of JRXS's in action and they seem a little more fragile than some other cars...

4) Schumacher MI3: Also tested with lipos, Looks farily sturdy. I think this comes with a spool, so I'd need to get a one way which would up the cost some.. Parts availablilty again would be touch and go...probably worse than the Losi....

If the EVO V handles the Lipos ok, then that's probably going to be my choice. If not, then the X-Ray would probably be up at the top of the list.

The other two make the decision harder because the manufactures make a point of saying they were designed with lipos in mind (which doesn't mean the the X-Ray and Tamiya cars weren't tested with them)...also I think the Losi and Schumacer designs are very trick... a bit more outside the box from the others...which I like.. The parts support is a major issue...but if they handle much better using lipos and if they're more fun to own in the long run because of that...maybe it isn't as big an issue..???

Sorry about the long post, but I'm trying to decide which car to get... Buying a off road buggy is much simpler because you have less choices and the 2WD versions cost about half what these beasts do

Any suggestions after reading the above???
Old 02-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

I'm pretty sure that the T2 '007 cannot fit the 4800 lipo pack in it at all as the middle shaft mount is just too low to allow clearance for it. I may be wrong though, but I'm sure it will need quite a bit of dremelling.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

the schumacher mi3 is designed to use 4,5,6 and lipo cells
read up on the mi3 thread
Old 02-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The 4800 LiPo limits your choices somewhat. Are you opposed to using the 3200 version? It performs the same, but has less run time so you'd only be able to use it in one race. But, the shape gives you more options.

The Type-R and Mi3 were designed to specifically fit the 4800 pack (along with standard batteries) so you'll probably have the best luck with it fitting in either of those two. With the Type-R, there will be less balance issues with the LiPo, which makes it a nice choice. I don't think we know anything about its durability just yet, but the Type-R will use the EA3 compound for its arms, so maybe it'll be tougher than the last car.

I think the TA05 fits the Orion 4800 packs okay.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Going by looks the T2007 looks like minimal modification as far as 4800.
I would consider 3200, 007. The xrays are bad boys.
And I would definitly look that MI3 over very closely, it looks to be one mean asphalt car. But it sounds more like your track is a smooth concrete if its inside and the EU 007 version has the optional multi flex chassis.
Good luck tuff desision.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

The MI3 would be a great choice.
The suspension is durable (same as the MI2). Plus, an added benefit is that if you do snap and arm or hub, their design usually keeps the parts together long enough to finish the race! For spares, just grab a couple extra arms, hubs, and knuckles. And as you own and continue to run the car, periodically pick up extras to have in your box (ie 5x10 bearings, hinge pins, etc.).
The spool is actually a great way to go. But if you need a one-way, Schumacher's is very tough. We ran it in our car at the 24 hour Guiness Book enduro. It's still in great shape!
As far as product support and set-up info, there's a lot of companies doing a good job, but none better--and more accessible than Schumacher.
And with all that said, it's got to be one of the sharpest cars out there!
Old 02-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool, keep the responses rolling in...

Any info on the EVO V regarding the lipos???

I could have sworn I saw a T2 with the 4800 in it, but the 007 model may be too low in spots for it I suppose...

I already have 2 4800 packs and really would like to avoid getting any others... The 3200's are great packs I'm sure, but so are the Platinums...just need to find a car to fit them in....

I probably also need clarification on the handling differences between a front diff, front spool, and front one way...

I know the one way turns in harder than the diff setup, but I'm not sure where the spool risides as far as handling characteristics go....

Again, more opinions please
Old 02-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

<<----------
<<----------
Old 02-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm a Xray guy, but if you're going to be running LiPo's, seriously think about the MI3. The T2 that I drive at the moment requires grinding the bulkhead down to almost nothing, thus changing the way that the car reacts to crashes and such.
The JRXS-R (Type R) should have half decent parts support from most LHS's out there, but you have the problem with it being a LOSI!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SARCAR_Revmax
I'm a Xray guy, but if you're going to be running LiPo's, seriously think about the MI3. The T2 that I drive at the moment requires grinding the bulkhead down to almost nothing, thus changing the way that the car reacts to crashes and such.
The JRXS-R (Type R) should have half decent parts support from most LHS's out there, but you have the problem with it being a LOSI!
Do you know if the 4800's will fit in the T2007?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Do you know if the 4800's will fit in the T2007?
The 4800 Orion Lipo will fit into the '007, but it will require the same if not more modifications then if you had the normal T2. (lowered top deck on '007)
I drive a T2 but I don't use Lipo, being that they aren't legal for club level racing yet.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by David Galdo
<<----------
<<----------
i second that mi3 all the way!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SARCAR_Revmax
The 4800 Orion Lipo will fit into the '007, but it will require the same if not more modifications then if you had the normal T2. (lowered top deck on '007)
I drive a T2 but I don't use Lipo, being that they aren't legal for club level racing yet.
LiPo is legal for club level racing if your track allows it. ROAR rules have a provision that allows tracks to make their own classes if they want. If you'd like I can find the section for you. Now, they aren't allowed at higher level events though. Our track allows LiPo in every class as long as you can still make weight.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

No Comments on the Evo V yet???

That's odd.... thought some Tamiya owner would have piped in by now....
Old 02-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Justin,

The T2 007 should get you lots of support both in parts and help from other guys with setup. Make sure those lipos fit in it though.
The Evo5 is nice as well and several guys could help you with setup tips.

Andre

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.