Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New CRC front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by smyka
lets see no advantage to running a crc front end how about raising roll centers or lowering the roll center the only other front end on the market you can do this to is the old trinity front end .. i have heard a lot of people saying good and bad things about this front end and i have nothing but good things to say about it i have not broken a arm yet and i have hit a lot of stuff with it at the birds this year.
Mark with your driving skill you hit less "stuff" than us mortals. If i hit something, yeah I expect to break. These guys hitting flappers.......
Old 02-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i'm about to give up on it. I would call myself an intermediat driver(I hit stuff). The front end may not be for me. 1 battery pack broke 3 arms. total of like 6 small hits/ scrapes. with my 13.5 in the car. I ordered more and if I break those i'll change to the assoc.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Adept

Did the 3.2R have arm problems?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Now that I've had time to cool down, allow me to re-itterate.....
I can deal with broken arms during a race. The problem was that I broke them while trying to put my front end back together between heats, while running two classes. Of course, my fault for running two classes but CEFX makes it so easy. I love the adjustability of the front end. It looks trick and performs like a champ. No slop!?! Who doesn't love that!?! The fact that I had just(2 days before) received my order of 4 front arm sets and went through all of them before they got on the car got me heated up. I was expecting them to last me until the middle of next season. I have not given up on this product. I would just like to be able to run it with confidence. If your not cutting corners close in stock 1/12, you're just losing time.

Jason
Old 02-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

the more i think of it the more i really dont like the old front end,it really is messed up but you poor guys that break the crc front arms i really feel for you.
im not trying to be funny but the crc one is far far better than anything iv run before and iv been running for about 20 years,ae arms broke in this time is about 20,T plates i lost count,
but really we should all run what we want and have fun.
run what works for you to have as much fun as you can.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

guys i am not saying you all cant drive i just would like to know what everyone is hitting to break this stuff . i beleive frank tried to stiffen up the bottom arm after the first ones were put out (but i am not sure) i also know he is on top of the problem and is having it fixed as everyone is typing he is a racer and he also hates working on his car so i know it will all be fixed asap..

mark smkya
Old 02-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

8-32 tap makes life alot easier
Old 02-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, that's just it. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes they take a huge hit and keep on ticking. Other times, you just touch something and it breaks. One racer reported breaking an arm on a flapper! My last 2 breaks did not look like big hits. I never broke my 12L4. On my Gen-X, I've already gone through 4 arms in 2 months. Twice at Snowbirds (and sure enough, one broke in my Main). I even use a full sized graphite bumper to boot!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Hi gang,

Thanks to all for the input on the new Generation X and the Pro Strut front end. Obviously we have some very happy customers (thanks guys for your valuable input) and some drivers that are having some issues with the front arms.

After reading some of the input here on the forum about arms cracking when cutting threads with the cut-screw, we took some time and ran cut screws in hundreds of front arm mounting holes. We threaded them in straight as normal and we intentionally ran the cut screw “cross-hole”, angling the screw at a sharp angle to attempt to intentionally break the front arm hole. We used both the supplied “L” key as well as a hex driver to drive the cut screw into the arm to get a full idea if any particular method would cause a failure. The result: not one broken arm.

We cooled a number of arms in a freezer and we were able to crack one of the 12 holes we tried (6 arms). Only the very first hole in the frozen arm cracked. It seems that as the arms warmed up from being taken from the freezer, the plastic took on enough heat to stop cracking after the first hole.

The only other way we could get an arm to crack was to run the cut screw through so deeply that the countersink head of the screw forced the hole to widen, therefore cracking the arm.

The recent Snowbirds use round PVC pipe which is typically very tough on cars. The nature of the round pipe causes the cars to burrow under the equator of the pipe making the cars “stick” to the wall rather than glance off the wall. Many touring cars at this race suffered “C” hub failures because of this. However, a good majority of the competitors at the Snowbirds using the Pro Strut front end had zero failures. The drivers that did break arms were typically (but not always) using the red ride spacers which we are now phasing out in favor of flat graphite and/or soon to be released molded ride spacers.

The CRC Generation X with the Pro Strut front end ran very well, qualifying 1 through 4 in 1/12th stock. The same combination finished 1-2-3 and 5th. In modified, 3 Gen-X cars were in the A-final. In 1/12th oval, we had 2 CRC Razor II oval cars in that final as well, finishing 3rd on the podium, again with the Pro Strut front end. These good results prove the performance and race winning durability of the front end.

These cars were fitted with standard Pro Strut front ends, no fancy team plastic, just stock parts. If we were worried about the integrity of the arm, with the even slightest chance to lose this prestigious race because of a failure, the top 4 cars would have had some type of protective measure (bumpers, foam, something…). There was no need for this. Additionally, the top 4 cars in 1/12th stock were in an intense battle for the win. All 4 were Gen X cars with one non-CRC car getting in the mix occasionally. There were no team orders, these four Gen X’s were truly battling for the win. There were a number a big crashes and tangles between these cars in the A-final. Again, no failures with a complete CRC podium finish.

However, obviously from the feedback here, some are still having problems with the arm, so we will continue to work to improve the product. If you have an issue, pop us an e-mail at [email protected] and explain the situation to us. How did the arm break? Where? What kind of barriers? Did you use the aluminum spacer or graphite shim? That is the information we need to make the best pan car front end even better. With all this internet chatter regarding the arm, we have yet to receive an e-mail regarding any issues.

As development goes on, we will make running changes to improve the performance and durability of the front end. Keep in mind, the former “standard” front end from Associated, went through many, many changes in both shape and material in its 14 year existence. The Pro Strut has been out since November. It has won and/or dominated all 3 large 1/12th races that have occurred since its debut.

Regarding the setups from the Snowbirds, look for data from the top cars at the event on the Team CRC site soon.

Thanks again for the support; you can count on CRC to deliver the finest products.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:20 AM
Tech Regular

You know what? That makes complete sense, now! The arms were in my toolbox which was in the trunk of a very cold car(Michigan sucks) for 2.5 hours that morning. I'd bet if they had been closer to room temperature, there would have been more "give" to them. Don't I feel stupid.

Jason
Old 02-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team CRC
....we took some time and ran cut screws in hundreds of front arm mounting holes. .
Can you send me some of those "prethreaded" arms? You have email. Thanks for your attention to this matter.