Trinity Cobalt 2 >

Trinity Cobalt 2

Trinity Cobalt 2

Old 02-09-2007, 02:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Trinity Cobalt 2

Hey guys, need your input.

Just bought this cobalt 2 9x2. I have a feeling that the motor is put together wrongly! Please refer the picture I took of my motor.

Motor label - timing indicators are located on the negative brush terminal.
Is this correct? From Trinity adds, the labels on the positive side.

Another thing are the springs? On my motor, the silver spring is on the positive side. BUt on trinity adds in magazines, the purple springs on the positive??
So whats right?

So, is the motor put together backwards. How do I know if it is correct as it is?
This motor is brand new. Came in a shrink wrap and bought it from Stormerhobbies. (By the way - ON Super SALE).

Can someone using this motor post a pic of it?

Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails Trinity Cobalt 2-dsc00008.jpg   Trinity Cobalt 2-dsc00007.jpg   Trinity Cobalt 2-dsc00010.jpg   Trinity Cobalt 2-cobalt2_01-cobalt2_03_sel.gif  

Last edited by 29TC; 02-09-2007 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

hook up the motor to a battery like it would be in the car. If it is hooked up properly with a pinion on it. the pinion should spin counter-clockwise with the pinion facing you on the outputshaft. If it is spinning clockwise then it would be backwards meaning the motor was put together wrong and it is 180* out of time. So try this to see what it does.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

alright. tested it and its spinning counter-clockwise as you indicated. So its corretly built. Which only means the lable is on the wrong side, right.

So, Trinity, if you are reading this, WHERE IS THE QUALITY CONTROL !!
How am I gonna know or adjust the timing on this motor?

Anyways, CarlosG thanks for your help.

By the way, do you know which side the silver and purple springs should go on?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

No problem, you welcome. As far as the springs go, I always heard that the harder spring goes on the positve and the sofer on the negative side. You can go to trinity's website to check their rating on their springs to find out. I don't know if the silver spring is harder than the Purple. I alwys thought the purple in the heaviest. I could be wrong so check on their website. Heres a link to a picture showing what you might want to know: http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/moto.../cobalt2.html#
Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

LOL...I've seen three of these from Stormer for $29.99 including mine and they all have this same "issue". Only problem we have encountered was with mine, it was shimmed so tight it locked up when it got some heat in it. Be sure to check it.

It is really strange what went wrong with the label. If you compare it to a regular price one the label is on the same way compared to the markings on the end of the can. However, to make it run the right direction you have to rotate the endbell 180 so the timing mark doesn't line up. I put the arm in another can and it worked normally. I can only assume that the magnets are in wrong??? Not enough of an expert to know what would cause it.

Surprised Stormer doesn't add a disclaimer on their website. They obviously knew something was different.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

You guys seriously think that the sticker on a different side of the can is a defect?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Tech Adept

NO, it's not a defect...because the sticker is not on the other side of the can.

My motor is fine now that it is shimmed properly. No complaints.

It does have something different that causes the endbell to be off 180 compared to any other one produced. THAT is a defect.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

If it was a hemi would motor compared to a cross-wrapped wound motor, the endbell would have to be rotated 180 deg. Sounds like that is what's going on, not a defect.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Ahh, good point. I never thought to check that, but will when I get home.

Still seems odd that none of the other ones are like that. Had to be some sort of oversite at the factory.

Again, no big deal to me, just took me a while to figure out what was going on with it.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

I don't think this is a defect at all. Its just bad quality control from Trinity. I sent them an email. Will see if I get any response.

Again, anyone have any ideas how to know if the motor is on the correct timing?
I don't want to blow up the motor on my first run.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

"I put the arm in another can and it worked normally. I can only assume that the magnets are in wrong???"

if thats true, it wouldnt be a hemi wind, seems like stetler would have remembered that if he really tried it in another can......
Old 02-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by 29TC
I don't think this is a defect at all. Its just bad quality control from Trinity. I sent them an email. Will see if I get any response.

Again, anyone have any ideas how to know if the motor is on the correct timing?
I don't want to blow up the motor on my first run.
One hash mark or 2mm from zero..
Old 02-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 29TC
I sent them an email. Will see if I get any response.
Good luck with that, they do not return emails or even answer questions on their own forum. Only way you will get anywhere is to call them. Trust me on this, been there done that.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

You are correct Mdoc, you would think I would remeber or know enough about this stuff to know that it could not be hemi wound because it worked in another can. But I digress. I am by no means an expert on mod motors or any of this stuff for that matter.

You did get me thinking though. So I did a little experiment with this motor and another brand new Cobalt 2 from a top builder.

No matter which arm or endbell was on the "Stormer" 29.99 can, it had to have the timing 180 off. And the suspect arm and enbell work as they should on another can. So it is definetly something in the can in my opinion. Again, I verified that it is off not only by the sticker, but also off by the Epic stamped into the end of the can.

Just for my education on the matter....Is it even possible that the magnets could be in wrong? Or is there even a right and wrong with them?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

its very possible, in fact that really has to be the problem, that being the case, there is absolutly no reason it wont run right with the end bell reversed, and you have learned a lot about electric motors, things that will probably end up helping you at the track some time, enjoy the great deal you got on a good motor.....