Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How can i do away with battery tape on 1/12? >

How can i do away with battery tape on 1/12?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can i do away with battery tape on 1/12?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default How can i do away with battery tape on 1/12?

Is there anything i can buy or make, to do away with having to tape my batteries in my RC12l4??
It just a real pain in the ass having to tape it everytime!!!
Any helps appreciated.
also what do most 1/12th scale races find are the best all round foam tires to use on a outdoor bitumen track?? on the rc12l4?
Im fairly new to 1/12th im going to run my 2 star brushless in it can wait to see how she goes!

cheers chris
Old 01-25-2007, 05:23 AM
TEM
Tech Regular

Default Batt hold downs?

Taping is the best method, really... Once you get good at taping, it's not really going to be an issue. It's light and secure! You can get velcro straps specifically for pan cars. Another way is to make a battery hold down yourself. Which is some CF pieces and a couple standoffs.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by crusty
Is there anything i can buy or make, to do away with having to tape my batteries in my RC12l4??
It just a real pain in the ass having to tape it everytime!!!
Any helps appreciated.
also what do most 1/12th scale races find are the best all round foam tires to use on a outdoor bitumen track?? on the rc12l4?
Im fairly new to 1/12th im going to run my 2 star brushless in it can wait to see how she goes!

cheers chris
You can contact Doug Powell at [email protected]

He makes a 12 scale that uses a battery brace to hold the batteries in place.

Here is the website www.powellracingcomponents.com
Old 01-25-2007, 06:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by speedxl
You can contact Doug Powell at [email protected]

He makes a 12 scale that uses a battery brace to hold the batteries in place.

Here is the website www.powellracingcomponents.com
You won't be disapointed the Quad 12 is awesome.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well people are gonna plug in their cars with battery straps you might as well look into CRC cars as well. lol
Old 01-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

CRC makes 3 12th cars that require no tape
Darkside MS make a no tape car
Diggity Designs is getting ready to release 2 cars that require no tape

as for taping the 12L4, many racers new to 12th try to add the tape while trying to hold the batteries in the car at the same time. sort of the elephant and monkey scenario.

the easiest way to deal with 12th tape car's, is to install the tape in the chassis first with the 2 tabs sticking up. then you put the pack in the car and put the two tabs of tape over the 2 cells on each side
Old 01-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

you can get a CRC gen x
Old 01-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

At one time I hated tape!!

But then I realized that when I hit something during a run, the o-ring was not strong enough to hold my cells in place and thus my car was tweaked and a real handful. I tried a new o-ring, double o-rings, but still the cells would move even
with the slightest bump or even on a bumpy track.
Dremel to the rescue------And now I am able to use tape in my CRC CK!!!!

Use quality tape, Doubled up, fold over the ends for easy/quick removal, and you should be able to get a whole race night (sometime two!) out of it without the need to change tape.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

Theres also the kawada 300rsx
Old 01-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i added a "post" on the front side of the batteries and am using a "hair tie/rubberband" type hold-down although to be honest i havent had time to run the car to see how well it will hold... ont he bench though it seems to be fairly secure...
Old 01-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Lord

tape is the best way to secure the batteries but it is a pain.it is difficult to use a solid strap because battery packs dont usually stay perfectly straight when you solder them together so they will have a slight mismatch to the battery slots.if you solid clamp them it will tweak the chassis with the batteries slightly mismatched to the slots.some remedies for this are flexible optional hold downs such as O rings or rubber bands.this method will need some sort of locator plate for the battery to keep it from moving but can still move when taking a good hit.for big events i ALWAYS use tape.for club racing when i am short of time i use an O ring to hold my batteries and it does the job.for the stock L4 chassis,just put the tape through the slots and get it in place,install the batteries and then tape them over.this is going to be the easiest tweak free method without making your battery packs perfect.hope this helps
Old 01-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
tape is the best way to secure the batteries but it is a pain.it is difficult to use a solid strap because battery packs dont usually stay perfectly straight when you solder them together so they will have a slight mismatch to the battery slots.if you solid clamp them it will tweak the chassis with the batteries slightly mismatched to the slots.some remedies for this are flexible optional hold downs such as O rings or rubber bands.this method will need some sort of locator plate for the battery to keep it from moving but can still move when taking a good hit.for big events i ALWAYS use tape.for club racing when i am short of time i use an O ring to hold my batteries and it does the job.for the stock L4 chassis,just put the tape through the slots and get it in place,install the batteries and then tape them over.this is going to be the easiest tweak free method without making your battery packs perfect.hope this helps
Couldn't agree more, tape is pretty much the only way to go without creating more problems with the car. For club racing I tape at the start of the day and just re-use what's there, cut it in the center and use a small amount of tape just to tie it back together for each run. Nice and easy.

Nick
Old 01-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Team Kwik
Couldn't agree more, tape is pretty much the only way to go without creating more problems with the car. For club racing I tape at the start of the day and just re-use what's there, cut it in the center and use a small amount of tape just to tie it back together for each run. Nice and easy.

Nick

i aint gonna lie,i some times leave the same pack in all day. man,i gotta stop abusing my stuff.or maybe stop being so lazy.i dont even cut my motors at club races.man im bad.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by protc3
i aint gonna lie,i some times leave the same pack in all day. man,i gotta stop abusing my stuff.or maybe stop being so lazy.i dont even cut my motors at club races.man im bad.
Good job FACTORY BMI!!!! When are you coming out with the Factory A-LO MI3 tweak plate? I think you could make some money out of it!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Tech Lord

its gonna be a tweak plate built specifically for battery and motor abusers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.