Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Charging 3000, Novak Millenium >

Charging 3000, Novak Millenium

Charging 3000, Novak Millenium

Old 03-15-2003, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

Default Charging 3000, Novak Millenium

Hi, i just got a new charger and batteries and wanted to no what to charge them at.

I have a Novak Millenium(not the pro) and 3000 batteries. the specs of the batteries on the labels are:

540 sec
1.206 volts
21 IR

Thats all they say. Also what should the cutoff thing be for these. Thanks alot for the help
Old 03-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default straight from SMC

Sanyo RC3000HV (Track testing has changed some of the methods below)

Charge:

We have found that using a .07 peak detect for a 6 cell pack and a .05 for a 4 cell pack gives good results. A 6 amp charge rate should be used and if you need more power then you can go up to a higher charge rate. We have used as high as 10 amps with no negative effects. If extra capacity is needed then you might want to go down to a lower charge rate.

Important:

To get maximum performance out of your HV’s they must be warm/hot before you race them. This is why we recommend the above peak detects. Start to charge your pack and try to get it to finish it’s charge as close to your race as possible. Repeak using the same setup as your charge.

Discharge & Storage:

After your race or practice run bring down the pack to 5.40 volts for a 6 cell or 3.60 volts for a 4 cell pack at 30 amps. If you want to keep the maximum runtime in your packs do not put them in a an equalizing tray. If your not concerned with runtime then you can use an equalizing tray and you will pick up some extra voltage but lose some runtime. If your pack has cooled for 2.5 hours it can be reused without any drop in performance.

Good all around method of maintaining HV’s is to discharge to 5.40 for a 6 cell or 3.60 for a 4 cell and leave them alone. Use them on the track 6 times or so. The next time you plan on using them place them in a tray to equalize the cells before you charge the pack. When the lights on the tray go out you should start charging the pack. Use the pack for 6 or so times and repeat the process. This method has proven to good on runtime and voltage.

Cycling:

We recommend that you don't cycle these packs to often they do tend to drop a bit if cycled to often. It's o.k. to cycle them once every 2 weeks. So far we have been using the following setup with good results. Set your T30/35 with a 1 peak charge at 6 amps with a .07 for peak detection for a 6 cell or .05 for a 4 cell. Set the discharge at 30 amps with 5.40 cutoff for a 6 cell and a 3.60 cutoff for a 4 cell. Due to the 1 peak charge the runtime will be 4-6 seconds lower than a 2 peak charge.

Close this window
Old 03-16-2003, 03:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

I use 4-cell and have had a lot of problems with run-time-at one time i went through a stage where i was traying after discharging, or traying before i race-which has a result has lost me a lot of runtime etc,
the HV's ive been using around 9-10 per cell (40-pack/4-cell) and have not really had great results with them all season,i also run the SMH at 5 per cell but have been charging at 4amps the Hvs at 4.3,and have had a lot of probs with run time,-
i then tried a few things with my newer Ultra's 3000,i tried 8 per cell at 4-4,3 amps (i was advised by the shop i got them from to use 8-per cell) and things where o.k ish,i then tried 4 per cell and charged at 5.0 amps,which in my book is the way to go,has they where very punchy and had plenty of run time!!
but all season i think ive been using to much theshold and not charging them at higher enough amps..one guy said his method of madness was to charge/use then leave em until your next meeting them morning before-- discharge then use em.
- but pesonally its not made much diffrence/may be a little,
so from now on im going to use lower threshold 4-5max per cell and charge at a higher amps say 5 amps/race then discharge to 3.90,and now and again say every2-4 weeks tray them just before i race...(same has the above post really).
A bit of useless info but just thought i would show what ive tried all season etc...
stevie
Old 03-16-2003, 11:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i would like perhaps to buy a millenium, i think it does't have a discharger.
how do you discharge your batteries (how many A? wich brand of discharger)
I am planning to buy GP3300 in the same time .
thanks .
Old 03-17-2003, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Default SMC on 3300's

Charge:

We have been using a linear 6 amp charge rate with very good results. For maximum performance try to get your pack peak just before your race. If it has been sitting for awhile repeak with the same setup as the initial charge. If it's been sitting for 5 minutes or less repeak it with a .01( 10 mv ) peak detect.

Peak detect ( voltage threshold ):
-We use a .05 ( 50 mv ) for 6 cell packs.
-We use a .03 ( 30mv ) for 4 cell packs.

Discharge & Storage:

After the race discharge the pack down to .90 volts per cell. This equals to 5.40 ( 6 cell ) or 3.60 ( 4 cell ). Let the pack rest until the next time you plan on using them. Don't put them on a tray.

Cycling:

We are under the conclusion that cycling these cells brings no benefit other then determining if your pack has fallen off.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

A bulb dscharger wll do fine as long as you moniyor it. However If you complete the race your voltage should be low enough even with 3300's.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

thanks for help
actually i am not sure to buy a charger which include a discharger (perhpas the millenium), do the bulb dischargers are programmed to stop at a defined voltage?
thanks again .

Gilles
Old 03-17-2003, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

if you buty a cut-off evice such as the deans blackbox 2.... otherwise just stop discharging as soon as the lights go out.....
Old 03-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

hi guys, can someone explain me what "traying" is and does?
thanks