Community
Wiki Posts
Search

motors and brushes

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 11:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Default motors and brushes

How often should I replace the brushes in my reedy fury 12x2. At the moment I seem to be replacing them after about every 6 runs. This is kind of annoying me so I'm thinking about getting a stock. Can anyone reccomend a decent stock motor. I've heard that the Orion dyno tuned is good, aswell as the P2K2.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2003, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Guide to replacement is when they're worn down to between 1/2 and 2/3 their original length, or when they become discoloured or damaged.

Every six runs probably isn't uncommon for a 12-turn. Stocks tend to last a bit longer (depends how serious you are about motor performance).

Myself and several others have had good experiences with Fantom motors, P2k2 based for torque, Monster based for speed.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool ya it all depends on what type of racing your doing

I love my P2K and I am racing carpet indoors...I also have one in my truck..for me the P2k works well cause I need a motor with torque...I know some of the faster guys enjoy the monster cause they can keep the RPM's up and keep it flying..I hear the P2K2 is one of the best "all round" motors..it has about the best of both worlds..RPM and Torque
Old 02-28-2003, 01:53 AM
Tech Regular

Jag,

here in France modified racing is 12t limit, some racers change their brushes after each run, some other after 3 - 6 - 8 runs, all depends on the performance you expect,

I usually change my brushes after 8 to 10 runs, I use Reedy Quasar and Corally Q-Brush

Some racers now use CS brushes that lasts 40 runs without problem, you just have to clean your comm with a motor stick,
I don't know if it is hype, I bought a pair and will try it very soon, I will let you know.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:26 AM
Ian
Tech Regular

what is a CS brush??
Old 02-28-2003, 04:32 AM
Tech Regular

CS is CS Electronic
http://www.cs-electronic.com
Old 02-28-2003, 04:36 AM
Ian
Tech Regular

ok cool keep us update about the brush
Old 03-06-2003, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Guys,

I tried the CS brushes last Sunday's race.

I run a 12 turn double Ti motor, geared 7.62 on a small twisty track,

I ran 10 packs, the power of these brushes seems very similar to Orion 10-30 packs, the brushes didn't change of color and the armature didn't suffer, I cleaned it with a motor stick and it looks shiny.

I will have a training session tomorrow and Monday, I will keep the brushes and run more packs with them,

I will let you know about their performance
Old 03-06-2003, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

They give more torque and more power than the Orion 10-30
(I tried them and I race them in every motor I can think of , Orion, Reedy, Hudy, Peak, etc etc).

Current comsumption is similar to 10-30, but the motors feel a lot punchier.

In some cases the gains are up to 15%. I tested with a Robitronic Dyno and a CS dyno.

In durability they can't be beaten!! period.

The comm barely needs skimming after 5 or 6 packs.

However they do take some time to be run in and you have to remove the sharp edges to avoid sparking. Use a comm stick for this.

The price more than compensates for the quality of the brush.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

where can we get the CS brush??
Old 03-06-2003, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

ok this may be off topic but i just dont want to open a new thread for this...

what effects would i get if i have a laydown stock motor and change the endbell to use it with a stand up endbell and brushes??
Old 03-06-2003, 07:54 AM
dw
Tech Adept

What would happen is you would fail scrutineering and either prevented from racing or you would lose your time at any reasonably sized event. It is cheating.

You may be able to run it at club level but it sort of defeats the point of a stock class if you modify the motors.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

ok maybe i should clarify that i'm not using it for a race...is it possible to do that...the reason i ask is because i have a few closed endbell laydown motor and i would like to skim it on the lathe and reinstalled the arm in a mod can......and again this is not for racing purposes
Old 03-06-2003, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Default Ahhh....CLUB RACING!!!

The ONLY thing they check for at all of the Club races I've been to, is if you have the $$ for the Entry Fee.

The RACERS will do the checking on your Motor if you have too much of an obvious advantage. (Might beat you senseless too)
Old 03-06-2003, 08:56 AM
TC3
Tech Regular

i tried the cs brushes too, and i am very impressed..
i was using the cs powermax silver. they are much better than orion 10/30 brushes. and they seem to last very very long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.