R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   What is the weight of paint? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/146914-what-weight-paint.html)

LOSI123 01-28-2007 07:55 PM

What is the weight of paint?

Hi , has anyone weighed a body shell, then painted it with say 1/2 a can or 1 full can of tamiya paint (for polycarbonate) & then weighed the body shell again, to work out how much the paint weighed?
I am in australia so i understand grams.

paint is a liquid so i think it is prety heavy when wet not sure if it is any diff when dry?

pug 205 gti 01-28-2007 08:02 PM

black paint is generally lighte and needs less coats.
metalic paints will weigh much more the your standard colours

Marcos.J 01-28-2007 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by pug 205 gti
black paint is generally lighte and needs less coats.
metalic paints will weigh much more the your standard colours

so is white lighter than red or green? if you want a lighter body how about not putting so many decals in your body?

MK_Arbiter 01-28-2007 08:34 PM

=P race with a sleeper black body. no decals and only black. sounds cool

tbeardmore 01-28-2007 08:37 PM

Fully painted body avg around 3grams

BadCarmaNY 01-28-2007 08:47 PM

Just 3g? Or you mean the paint itself?

I just weighed my DNA body (before trimming, and painting) at 114g

pug 205 gti 01-28-2007 08:48 PM

i only know about weight of paint through proper cars paint.
all paints have different weights white is alot heavier as it needs more coats to get a good finish.
most privateers cars for motor sport choose to have white cars as they are easier to keep clean and its much brighter in the cabin.it can add 3 kg to the cars overall weight though.
as for rc paint im not to sure about the actual paints weight un sprayed in can
best bet would be to weigh some before airbrushing
but black does cover easier ans requires less paint to be put on so it does actually save weight

just dont use metalic paint !!

wes 01-28-2007 08:56 PM

a fully painted car with caked on faskolor at max would add about 5 grams to the body.

as for white being the heaviest its not what makes a real car heavy is the clearcoat. all urethane paint is pretty much the same consistancy and weight. and btw most race cars are white becuase they come like that from the factory. i paint race cars for a living. and race teams are lazy, they really dont care what the car looks like most of the time.

LOSI123 01-28-2007 08:58 PM

i dont have a spare unpainted body to weigh, but i can tell you this , i weighed a standard can of non metalic tamiya paint full and weighed 1 that had only a little bit in it left and the difference was 40grams (thats huge)

my car is currently over weight by 100grams , my current body has all these designs on it which needed 1 and a half cans of paint (60 grams, (40 + 20 for half can) so my theroey is that if i get a new shell and only go plain black for example and try to get away with only using 1/2 a can, could i save 40 grams?

or is the weight in the can hevier because of thinners that will dry up once applied and dry / aerosol gas etc......

i am hanging out to find out the answer, but i cant right now as i have spent too much on other rc parts to afford a body shell for a couple of weeks.

any more help will be good :)

BadCarmaNY 01-28-2007 09:03 PM

In-can weight is definitely heavier. Once it dries it weighs less because, well.. it's dry.

Just using water as an example.. it weighs 9lbs per gallon. Say you mix in a pound of salt.. once the water evaporates, you still only have a pound of salt left.

Originally Posted by LOSI123
i dont have a spare unpainted body to weigh, but i can tell you this , i weighed a standard can of non metalic tamiya paint full and weighed 1 that had only a little bit in it left and the difference was 40grams (thats huge)

my car is currently over weight by 100grams , my current body has all these designs on it which needed 1 and a half cans of paint (60 grams, (40 + 20 for half can) so my theroey is that if i get a new shell and only go plain black for example and try to get away with only using 1/2 a can, could i save 40 grams?

or is the weight in the can hevier because of thinners that will dry up once applied and dry / aerosol gas etc......

i am hanging out to find out the answer, but i cant right now as i have spent too much on other rc parts to afford a body shell for a couple of weeks.

LOSI123 01-28-2007 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
so is white lighter than red or green? if you want a lighter body how about not putting so many decals in your body?

i have now peeled all my decals off and then i weighed them and it came to 1 gram.

Marcos.J 01-28-2007 09:16 PM

i have now peeled all my decals off and then i weighed them and it came to 1 gram.

there you go

pug 205 gti 01-28-2007 09:33 PM

that maybe the case in america my friend
but im talking about rally cars privateers which dont have the funds to have a NEW shell.they usually buy a car and strip it.bead blast the shell to bare metal or have it acid dipped.then they go about preperation and painting etc.
some private teams have funds to buy new shells.but not many.
and not all paints weigh the same it differs in brand and colour.check it out.i have done.and youll see there is quite a difference.i had one guy wanting his car in graphite grey.the vauxhall colour was much heavier than the honda fire blade paint we used.strange but true none the less.

LOSI123 01-28-2007 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by pug 205 gti
that maybe the case in america my friend
but im talking about rally cars privateers which dont have the funds to have a NEW shell.they usually by a car and strip it.bead blast the shellto bare metal or have in acid dipped.then they go about preperation and painting etc.
some private teams have funds to buy new shells.but not many.

cool no worries man, i understand your point totally,

i am only talking about rc 1/10th scale cars. :)

AngryAsian 01-28-2007 10:42 PM

LMAO!!! .. HAHAHAHah.... that's a cracker...

Forget Ti hingepins and alu hop-ups.. I'm going to lobby someone to make a "sticker delete" hopup kit...

1g saving!.