Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Who will be first? >

Who will be first?

Who will be first?

Old 02-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The reason why this hobby/sport is not growing is the cost to get started in the hobby/sport.

Last year I was involved in starting a track located in a shopping mall. During races we would get over 250 people watching at Christmas time. Everyone who found out how much it would cost to get involved, walked away shaking their heads. In talking to the owners of the track I race at have said the same thing.

What this hobby needs is a low cost competative race package. I know Trinity tried to start the SPEC class but that seems to have died.

Xray offered a budget version of their car, but it is still too much for some people.

Most Tracks have started a "Sportsman" class which allow newbie's to run anything they have (within reason), in hopes of growing the hobby.

I hope someone finds the answer so this hobby grows, since it is something I love.

As far as people getting "lite up" at races, well being a parent myself, it is our responsibility to teach our childern that there are all sorts of people in this world and that some people just don't act right at times. Parents need to ask the people that run the events who the drivers are that they can go and talk to in hopes of getting some information.

I have been to several races that involved PRO's. As a parent I would not hesitate to go to Barry and ask him questions with my child. Barry is a great guy.

I have been to races that some racers had cases of beer in their pits. Personally, I didn't care, but if a parent did care they should take their childern away from the area. If the drivers are getting out of hand, they need to go the race director.

The bottom line...... Parents are the only ones that need to "censor" what their own childern are influenced by.
What is offensive to one can be totally acceptable to another
Old 02-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Come on man, dish the dirt.

Which team/teams have Snoop Jr. on them?

Also, let us not forget to mention the time honored tradition of hangin with your bro's and getting sh!tfaced plastered every night at a "big" race.

Some of the stories I hear about the things that go on could rival scout camp stories.....
Old 02-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Why do you care? I am being completely serious.. why do you care? You have already said you won't support these teams, which is your right but why are you claiming to be "shining a light on a dark subject" as if you were some type of CSI investigator or Dateline NBC reporter? What exactly happened at your last two big events that left you so "sour" were you not invited to the party?

These racers are not Al-Queda plotting their next attack, they are young and relaxing and having fun just like they would be doing if they didn't have to "work" by attending a large multi day event. It is also nothing new, there have been people partying at races as long as I can remember and for the most part, they are kept subdued and rarely does it ever get out of control. So I really doubt there will be any "raids on hotels" being conducted even if you yourself make the phone call to the cops.

I can think of many worse things these guys could be doing rather then attending an organized race under adult supervision so I think you should keep things in context and not try to blow this issue of yours out of proportion.

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Barry.....I didn't group everyone on every team but you know what team(s)/racers this is really about. I know some of you are not that way at the race track and I have much respect for the ones that do not do these things at the track. Its one thing to do what ever you want on your own time that’s your business but its another to do it when you are "working" and interacting with the public. I just find it outlandish that people would defend to the death some of these people and teams, knowing full well they have illegal activates going on at the race track. I for one don’t want to see a raid at some hotel at a race or even a race track and people get brought down b/c of what they are doing…..that would be too big of scar for RC racing in general to cover up. But people can just keep turning a blind eye to it and keep backing these companies and these guys can keep collecting a paycheck but one day it will come crashing down and its only a matter of time.

These post don’t need to be made but they some times shed light on a dark subject and make people more aware of it and maybe some of them will stop.....well we can hope they will stop but I doubt that will happen. The last 2 big events I was at have really soured me on this subject and I wont support any of these people or their teams in any way after seeing the way they act at races in plain view.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by FreqETag
Come on man, dish the dirt.

Which team/teams have Snoop Jr. on them?

Also, let us not forget to mention the time honored tradition of hangin with your bro's and getting sh!tfaced plastered every night at a "big" race.

Some of the stories I hear about the things that go on could rival scout camp stories.....
After the race though...not during.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just start drug testing them.

Problem solved.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by FreqETag
Just start drug testing them.

Problem solved.
That would be funny... "excuse me sir, we need to tech your car and by the way...can you please pee in this cup."
Old 02-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by muahdib4
That would be funny... "excuse me sir, we need to tech your car and by the way...can you please pee in this cup."
They'd end up getting a cup full of Zubak's Speed Juice in return.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by McSmooth
They'd end up getting a cup full of Zubak's Speed Juice in return.
What goes good with Zubaks ?

Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Crown Royal ?????
Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigJim14226
What goes good with Zubaks ?

Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Crown Royal ?????
Bombay Sapphire...goes good with everything.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

There's been several posts on here recently bragging about the illicit behavior. I imagine people are taking issue with the fact that it's 1) being openly talked about in a public forum of all ages, 2) linking certain teams and companies with behavior that society and the law frowns upon, 3) being openly touted as "cool," or the "in" thing at big events where parents may bring their children.

I guess the lesson here is to be discreet, especially if you're dealing with a subject that has legal implications. All it takes is one unhappy person to call the Snowbirds hotel and alert them to the kind of behavior that's being publicly bragged about, and it could throw the entire event into disarray. Use your heads, guys.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by syndr0me
There's been several posts on here recently bragging about the illicit behavior. I imagine people are taking issue with the fact that it's 1) being openly talked about in a public forum of all ages, 2) linking certain teams and companies with behavior that society and the law frowns upon, 3) being openly touted as "cool," or the "in" thing at big events where parents may bring their children.

I guess the lesson here is to be discreet, especially if you're dealing with a subject that has legal implications. All it takes is one unhappy person to call the Snowbirds hotel and alert them to the kind of behavior that's being publicly bragged about, and it could throw the entire event into disarray. Use your heads, guys.
Where are people bragging about this? All I have read are people that are clearly upset and not in support, which is totally understood. I see no reason why anyone would even WANT to brag about it.

Also, for the record this is not something that is specific to one team AT ALL, regardless of what everyone says.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RobertV
Why do you care? I am being completely serious.. why do you care? You have already said you won't support these teams, which is your right but why are you claiming to be "shining a light on a dark subject" as if you were some type of CSI investigator or Dateline NBC reporter? What exactly happened at your last two big events that left you so "sour" were you not invited to the party?

These racers are not Al-Queda plotting their next attack, they are young and relaxing and having fun just like they would be doing if they didn't have to "work" by attending a large multi day event. It is also nothing new, there have been people partying at races as long as I can remember and for the most part, they are kept subdued and rarely does it ever get out of control. So I really doubt there will be any "raids on hotels" being conducted even if you yourself make the phone call to the cops.

I can think of many worse things these guys could be doing rather then attending an organized race under adult supervision so I think you should keep things in context and not try to blow this issue of yours out of proportion.
I guess I shouldn’t care and be like everyone else….and join the party. That’s not the point the point is that when things go on for so long you can only take so much I cant take it any more. I’m not going to stop racing b/c of this I’m just fed up with seeing this. You seem to think that doing drugs and getting lit up is fine….and you know what I don’t care like I said before what they do when they are by themselves but when you are at a race and representing a company and that same company pays you that speaks a lot about that company. So with your logic I guess it would be ok for you to show up to work lit up and not have to worry about anything b/c its cool to be high and have your boss/manager pat you on the back and say good job here’s a bonus for how well you worked inebriated. Were are not at some smoke shop or hash bar so its reasonable to think that things like that wont take place at the race track but with your logic I guess they are just kids(even though most of them are not) so its cool for them to “relax”. I guess I wont care anymore.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kevin K
I guess I shouldn’t care and be like everyone else….and join the party. That’s not the point the point is that when things go on for so long you can only take so much I cant take it any more. I’m not going to stop racing b/c of this I’m just fed up with seeing this. You seem to think that doing drugs and getting lit up is fine….and you know what I don’t care like I said before what they do when they are by themselves but when you are at a race and representing a company and that same company pays you that speaks a lot about that company. So with your logic I guess it would be ok for you to show up to work lit up and not have to worry about anything b/c its cool to be high and have your boss/manager pat you on the back and say good job here’s a bonus for how well you worked inebriated. Were are not at some smoke shop or hash bar so its reasonable to think that things like that wont take place at the race track but with your logic I guess they are just kids(even though most of them are not) so its cool for them to “relax”. I guess I wont care anymore.
Give those hippies what for....

*grabs popcorn to watch the fireworks*
Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Kevin K,
Just report those drivers to the company they are representing. If more people do the same thing, then those companies won’t sponsor those drivers anymore.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Lord

I've seen a couple of posts the last few days joking about special smoke coming from hotel rooms, and teams being led by or full of "pot heads," and then the recent post in here (albeit kind of funny) about the new XRay parts list.

I'm not condemning anybody, so please don't take it as such. It's just that it's a topic which plenty of people find offensive, and since it's illegal, those people could cause drama if they felt so inclined. I have personally witnessed hotels cancel events (including hotel reservations) because of an extremely similar problem. Not to mention, these companies probably don't want to be openly associated with this stuff, which could affect their drivers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.