R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-25-2007, 06:38 PM   #16
Tech Master
Send a message via AIM to Switch Blade

I do have to say that the bonded magnet brushless motors seem to have a touch more top end than a brushed. But from what ive seen the brushless motors take more time to spool up on a straight so at the end they are about even.

Now the sintered rotors are just plain fast
Switch Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Our track is mixing stock and stock brushless. We are self policing and always have been really. Most club races I've attended have been.

I do believe Brushless stock is faster. One of our top local drivers ran 2 laps faster on the same layout with brushless over brushed. Same track, same car, same setup. The only difference was the brushless (this was 12th scale).

For newcomers to the hobby running brushless stock is cheaper when you factor in the cost of the esc, motor, lathe, tuning tools, etc. vs just the brushless esc and motor.

Close, but it wasn't 2 laps faster... it was 4 laps faster! Looking at my lap times, I knocked .5 seconds off the lap time.

For club racing, even a trophy race, the rules are up to the track owner. The big reason why most tracks rely on ROAR for the rules, is because ROAR took the time to actually codify the rules and publish them. And, whether you like ROAR or not, their rules are the most widely known and used.

If you look at most big races, they do not have the rules for each class completely defined. Their rules are basically the variations from ROAR. They, like most other racers, assume ROAR rules as the base.
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:28 PM   #18
Tech Elite

We run brushed & brushless together at our track. Definately a difference between 19t & 4300. As for 13.5 vs 27T stock, I'd say they're virtually the same. I attended the US Touring Car Champs at Trackside this year and the same drivers running in both classes were running practically the same times. Lee Passehl won 13.5 Rubber and Mike Nelson won Stock Rubber, their times in both classes were within seconds, if not tenths, between the two classes. You can check out the results: http://www.trackside.com/results/070107m.htm

My .02,

Tim Ski
** 2017 TLR Offroad Cup @ the 'PLEX April 28th-30th **
Tamiya Championship Series since 2009 ** J-Concept Spring Nitro Nationals
ROAR NATS - '16 & '09 Electric Offroad/'14 & '08 Carpet Onroad/'11 1/8 Electric
'16, '11, '08 BRL NOVAK National Finals
HobbyPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote