Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spool & Oneway

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default Spool & Oneway

what are the advantages/disadvatages of a oneway and a spool? in what application would you recommend the use of either one?

thanks
Old 01-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well I've never ran a spool, But I run a oneway to get more off power steering with my brushless motor. It really works good outside on bigger tracks I think. It will give more speed going in, But kinda feels like a point and shoot coming out, at least on smaller tracks. I hear the spool gives more agressive steering?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

i use a spool on carpet when running foam... i like how it rips hard out of the corners.... one-way is more rubber tire.. and increases corner speed and ripds out of corners as it acts like a spool when the throttle is applied...
Old 01-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

One-ways are best for large open track where there aren't any sharp corners or hairpins. A one-way gives you much greater steering whatever the speed. However, it means you only have the rear brakes to slow the car down.
The best strategy is to roll on an doff the throttle smoothly and use the cars ability to turn in - to scrub speed.
On a small tight track where you don't have the chance to build speed, a one-way can be faster due to the added steering. However - you need to be on your line all the time. No brakes if you run wide!!

A spool is used wherever you need to really jump on the brakes. Tight tracks, tracks with hairpins etc are great. The spool decreases your initial turn-in and creates a little bit of understeer. But on corner exit it generates a butt-load of steering. The trade-off is fairly high wear on your drivetrain, CVDs and a bit of chatter when turning. Most mod cars on rubber run spools for consistency.
However, you cna really hammer the brakes to slow the car down. Fast in, Hammer brakes, power out. Very much point and shoot driving.

Hit something when you run a one-way and nothing much happens. (Although you don't have brakes to slow down in the first place!)
Hit something when running the spool and be prepared for bent CVD's and other drivetrain problems. usually stripped teeth on a shaft car.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

The trade-off is fairly high wear on your drivetrain, CVDs and a bit of chatter when turning.
agree.. needs a little skills to run one way...since no brake is allowed during the initial turn.. except if you brake before the turn..
Old 01-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Tech Regular

in laymans turms with a oneway you dont have front braking.so late turn in braking could see the rear end passing the front end

sorry missed the 2 posts above
Old 01-24-2007, 02:26 AM
Tech Regular

thanks for the advice guys.

my reason for asking is 'cos i have recently decided to run the mod class with my TA05. i run my 2 Evo 5's in the Johnson 540 and Stock classes. i run the Evo's with oneways and i am very quick on the track when i decided to run my TA05 this past sunday in mod, i experienced a lot of understeer, i blamed it on the ball diff up front, so i was undecided as to whether to go for the spool or oneway. i am going to put the spool up front today and i will run the car to see how much it helps. hope fully i should be able to turn some faster lap times.

thanks again
Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hey Rocket
Do like I did, start with the Diff then progress to the spool and use it and if you run at a big open track sometimes try the one way. Don't jump into a one way because you will come into a corner and brake,you may loose your ass end and end up with 9 other cars on your roof.
Diff/spool and later on one way
just my 2 cents
take care
addam
Old 01-24-2007, 02:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah - diffs are the ticket on super high traction surfaces like rubbered in carpet. On asphalt the diff just robs you of drive and power.

Both one-way and spool basically lock up on acceleration. No wasted wheel-spin. In the case of the one-way, you get more steering than the diff gave you as an added bonus. You can pretty much be competitive in mod running EITHER a spool or one-way. But not a diff unfortunately..

A spool works for mod because you have power overkill - the wasted energy dosn't matter so much when you have 7t power.. LoL!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:41 AM
Tech Regular

thanks guys. you have answered my questions perfectly! now i feel confident to try out the spool.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:19 AM
Tech Regular

to be quick with a spool do you have to use brakes?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

stephen hilton, unfortunately, that is the case. The car tends to understeer off power otherwise due to the lack of diff action in the front. A one-way disables the front wheels off-power allowing the rear end of the car to come around. I started r/c drifting and as a result have learned to grip race with the one-way. To me, it seems to be an easier and smoother way to race, but that's just my opinion. It really depends on your driving style.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stephen hilton
to be quick with a spool do you have to use brakes?
Depends on how your driving, what your driving and what surface etc.

Quite a few Stock guys run spools and never go near the brakes.
You do lose some of the turn-in but it's not that much.

Skiddins
Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

At the recent DHI cup, most people used a spool since braking was required at some spots. Spool with rubber on carpet or asphalt is the fastest way. SOME use oneway, but only a few.
I use spool myself exclusively.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech Rookie

I think the diff gives some advantage of both one-way and spool, because you can use brake and it turns better than spool in corners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.