Wiki Posts
Search

Power Sources for Parking Lot races

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Power Sources for Parking Lot races

I was wondering for the up coming outdoor season what would be a good energy source for running parking lot races?

Would the following options viable:

- Car Battery -> Power Distribution Box -> what ever

or

- Car Battery -> Inverter -> Power Supply -> Power distribution Box -> whatever

Do you have any suggestions or ideas for this solution? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

A good deep cycle marine or car battery and dist. box for the 12 volt stuff and an inverter for your 110v. You don't need your powersupply as everything can be hooked directly up to the battery.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

a small generator ,perfect for the summer ,run everything plus a fan
Old 01-11-2007, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

If your going to use a large lead/acid battery try to get a 'Leisure Battery' instead of a normal car item.

Car batteries are designed to give a huge amount of power for a short period (starting the car) then the alternator takes over.
Leisure Batteries are designed to be used in caravans/boats etc where power requirements are lower but more constant.

They look exactly the same.

Skiddins
Old 01-11-2007, 05:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You can also check radio shack, they carry a power converter that plug's into the lighter of your car. I use them to charge my tool batterie's.
And affordable, built in cooling fan and you can run a tv and nintendo on your trip to the track.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I managed to get a few used SLA batteries from a huge UPS system my company was upgrading.. It had 24 car-battery sized cells to replace, so I took a few of the best ones off of their hands. They're not in peak shape, but still last a whole race worth of charging and soldering.. Frickin heavy, though.. If they do get any worse I can run them in parallel with each other or the car batt to share the load, all from the trunk..

Cool thing is that the terminal screw holes are the same size as the banana plugs, so in goes the distro box, and that's it!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

EU2000 honda generator is what I use. Provides provides everything I need real quiet plus you can go the whole day on one tank.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...elName=eu2000i
Old 01-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would second the little honda generator, they are great little units...Check your local Pepboys, they have been running great deals on generators lately...

When I run only nitro at a parking lot track I use a 110 power inverter if I need a iron or anything like that and I hookup a charger to my car battery for my receiver and transmitter pack, works great, I start the car up at lunch and let it run for a few minutes to be sure I dont need a jump
Old 01-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Default races

you mention running races....using ohm's law if I showed up at your track I'd need at least 240watts continuous if me and my boys were to race electric at your place. 3 chargers at 6amps each and a soldering iron.

Your power supply should be dependant on how many people will be pitting there and what kid of vehicles they are racing.

I've used both generators and deep cycle 12 v batteries. I've also ruined my minivan's car battery at the track.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

If you cannot afford a generator you can make one. I found a lawn mower in the trash that someone had ran over with his truck took the motor from that. an old used alternator I found lying around welded a old small block chevy crank pulley to the hub for the blade. Found a nice deep cycle battery in the boat my cousin has been storing in my shead. Added a little fabrication skill and my power inverter and walla a generator for about 20 bucks. I had to buy a few bolts a belt and some paint. Its heavy and loud but cheap. Plus I sold it to a guy for his hunting shack for 300 bucks. I did keep my cousins battery tho. lol
Old 07-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Generator
Old 07-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Hamster wheel.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by peded
I was wondering for the up coming outdoor season what would be a good energy source for running parking lot races?

Would the following options viable:

- Car Battery -> Power Distribution Box -> what ever

or

- Car Battery -> Inverter -> Power Supply -> Power distribution Box -> whatever

Do you have any suggestions or ideas for this solution? Thanks.
Try looking inside a lite pole base and spice in a connection ...
Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

They have electricity at HT don't they?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

generator--cheap ones are noisy . If you like noise get any generator if you like QUIET spend the extra bucks for the invertor type by Honda or Yahama.You'll appreciate it and so will your fellow r/cer's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.